• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Add another Mini fan here - even though I don't currently own one. Back when I spent a lot of time in the pasture, one rode beside me routinely - tough little gun that'd kill something quick - and simply fun to shoot. However, given the price that they now sell for, I'd go with an AR every time.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wouldnt a sks be close to a mini?? I know the mini uses real mags but, they are similar as a saddle rifle.

I'd much rather have an SKS. Cheaper and IMO more reliable. Sure, it's limited to a ten-round magazine unless you change it out, and you're loading off stripper clips... Accuracy is acceptable at 2-3 MOA.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Have already commented favorably on Mini 14s, but traded for a Mini 30 on here some weeks ago...Wow, I thinks its going to be a real "hawg' killing rifle, seems accurate as my Mini 14 but makes a hell of a lot bigger hole...Likes Wolf ammo just like the 14....I really dig Bill Ruger's firearms, all steel, and made in USA.....

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Private Snowball, I am confused as to why you think the Mini-14 is as reliable as an AR15 or an AKM?

the mini-14 is a reliable weapon, but they have never held up in trials when compared to teh AR-15, M-4 or M-16.

I never said the mini was as reliable as an AKM. I never took any position at all, actually. I simply asked for an explanation.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Mine is a 1976 made Mini with the wooden handguard that has the black metal band on it. That version REALLY looks like a Garand or M-14, if you ask me. Mine also has sharp edges and deep bluing on the receiver and barrel and a metal buttplate.

It seems as years went on, Ruger cheapened out the Mini by going to birch stocks, plastic buttplates and the machining on the receivers got rougher and rougher.

To be honest, I never knew my Mini was a POS until I started reading the forums on the internet! Personally...I have never had half the troubles that others have had with this platform.

But then again, I never tried to use it as a long range varminter, deer gun or in a 3-gun match. As a casual plinker and 2-3 shot coyote gun for close in shots....its a pretty decent rifle if you ask me. I never intended it to do AR things, either.

- brickboy240

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Well Brickboy, I like you never intended for my Mini to be a bad ass, it just turned out that way. I've never had a FTF or FTE or fail to nada. It goes bang every time, fast or slow, it will shoot 1" groups all day long, just sometimes I can't. LOL Like I said, "most" people that speak of problems with them, never owned one, and if they did, the didn't take the time to learn the weapon. Mine will NEVER be sold. It may not shoot like an AR, heck, I wouldn't have a clue how an AR shoots, but I have read plenty. I'll put my POS Mini up against any "basic" Ar.

Again, I'm not bashing AR's, but I'm tired of people bashing Mini's. Put your money where your mouth is. Let's go shoot. I'm always up for a little fun.

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    I have both. A DPMS Ar-15 and a new Ruger Target Mini in .223 with the thick barrel and compensater. The Mini at 100 yards is as accurate as my crummy eyes and scope can shoot it. I get many more looks and compliments on the Mini at the range. My DPMS with a tactical scope is very accurate, definetly more than the Mini, but that is where the comparision ends. The Mini is a fun rifle to own and a blast to shoot. I shoot any .223 ammo that is available from Wolf, PMC, to Remington and Lake City. It has never failed. It is very easy to clean and seems to always stay clean. 2 different guns and reasons for owning them. The Mini is fun and accurate the DPMS Panther is fun, accurate, and tactical. I enjoy them both.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom