• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston
    Here in TX, we can't carry knives with a blade over five and one-half inches. I've been wanting a Cold Steel Bushman, but the blade length is 7". Just last night, I found out they used to make a Mini Bushman, but quit awhile back (not sure when). Does anyone have any info on this knife, how to get one, or if they'll ever make it again? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tye Beavers
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston
    I don't see any listed on Ebay right now, but I'll keep an eye on it. I wondered if maybe someone on this forum had one they weren't using and were willing to part with.

tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston
    I have a CHL, but I wasn't aware that had any impact on the knife length I could carry. I thought it only applied to concealed handguns; do you have more info on this?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have a CHL, but I wasn't aware that had any impact on the knife length I could carry. I thought it only applied to concealed handguns; do you have more info on this?

PC 46.02 doesn't apply when you're carrying a CHL and a concealed handgun. 46.02 is the statute which makes "illegal knives" unlawful to carry. Since it doesn't apply you may legally carry any knife you want

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    PC 46.02 doesn't apply when you're carrying a CHL and a concealed handgun. 46.02 is the statute which makes "illegal knives" unlawful to carry. Since it doesn't apply you may legally carry any knife you want

Agree, although proving it can get expensive.

tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston

Are you saying I need to be carrying a firearm, as well as my license with me to be able to carry a knife with a blade over 5.5"?

tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston

I just re-read penal code 46.02, and I don't see anything about a license. In fact, from reading just that, it doesn't appear we can even carry a handgun (which I know is false). It appears to state that we cannot carry a firearm 'intentionally' off of our property, or out of our vehicle. What over-rules that, and makes us able to get licensed and carry a firearm, or a knife?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just re-read penal code 46.02, and I don't see anything about a license. In fact, from reading just that, it doesn't appear we can even carry a handgun (which I know is false). It appears to state that we cannot carry a firearm 'intentionally' off of our property, or out of our vehicle. What over-rules that, and makes us able to get licensed and carry a firearm, or a knife?

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
    (1) is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution;
    (2) is traveling;
    (3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;
    (4) holds a security officer commission issued by the Texas Private Security Board, if the person is engaged in the performance of the person's duties as an officer commissioned under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, or is traveling to or from the person's place of assignment and is wearing the officer's uniform and carrying the officer's weapon in plain view;
    (5) acts as a personal protection officer and carries the person's security officer commission and personal protection officer authorization, if the person:
    (A) is engaged in the performance of the person's duties as a personal protection officer under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, or is traveling to or from the person's place of assignment; and
    (B) is either:
    (i) wearing the uniform of a security officer, including any uniform or apparel described by Section 1702.323(d), Occupations Code, and carrying the officer's weapon in plain view; or
    (ii) not wearing the uniform of a security officer and carrying the officer's weapon in a concealed manner;
    (6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;

tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston
    I apparently didn't read down far enough. So it sounds like yes, I have to have both a handgun and my license on my person while carrying this 'oversize' knife. Thank you for clearing this up; it was new to me.

Just the same, I'm still interested in finding a 5" Bushman. :)

Top Bottom