mini14

freakshow

Mar 1, 2009
Okay I've decided to get a mini14. I don't need to hear all about the AR and all its variants, the mini meets my needs and my budget. The only issue I have is availabilty and cost of hicap mags. Yes I will get a few 20s from the factory (they're now accepting orders again). I'm just wondering tho, what if, and has anyone ever attempted, to create some type of adapter for the mini that will allow it to accept AR mags? Will it be too expensive? Too extensive? Bolt won't strip from the mag? Imagine a 20 dollar adapter that will allow mini owners to buy and use 10 dollar hi cap AR mags! What's the feasibility of this idea? Maybe it can't be done, but I've seen some pretty amazing custom work myself just in gun magazines I bought at walmart. Any thoughts?

hoytinak

Mar 5, 2008
Texas of course
I'm sure there's been people try it but as of today there's still no adapter to use AR mags in the Mini. If someone could make one that's affordable and reliable it'd be one hell of a money maker.....I'd buy one for my Mini. The mags (or lack of) is the major downfall for the Mini. I own a Mini and love it for what it is, but after trying MANY other high-cap mags for it I finally gave up and now I just stick to the factroy 20rd mags.

There is an adapter to use AR mags in the .223 Saiga now.

brickboy240

May 19, 2008
Houston, TX, USA
I never would have believed it if I had not expereinced it myself, but I bought a 17 dollar 20rd Pro Mag from Academy for my old Mini-14 and the damn thing works perfectly!

Ok, so I have not used it for long (bought back in Oct of last year) but up until now...the thing works as well as my three 20rd Ruger factory mags.

I know....I know....everyone SAID they would not work but for 17 bucks (when nothing else is around...literally!) I figured I'd give it a whirl. If its crap...only out 17 bucks.

Glad I tried it, because it runs perfectly. I have a 1976 made Mini-14 and I also tried it in Dad's 1992 Ranch Rifle and it works there, too!

So on the aftermarket mags....I'd say try one and see. Its only 17 bucks at Academy. It might work and it might not but they worked in MY Mini-14. I avioded them for many years, thinking they would not work because EVERYONE said so. Sometimes you have to try things for yourself.

...worth a try since they're cheap and readily avaiable.

Otherwise, order some factory 20 rounders from Ruger directly - they run about 30 bucks apiece.

- brickboy240

juwaba98

Well-Known
May 9, 2008
North Zulch, TX
I never would have believed it if I had not expereinced it myself, but I bought a 17 dollar 20rd Pro Mag from Academy for my old Mini-14 and the damn thing works perfectly!

Ok, so I have not used it for long (bought back in Oct of last year) but up until now...the thing works as well as my three 20rd Ruger factory mags.

I know....I know....everyone SAID they would not work but for 17 bucks (when nothing else is around...literally!) I figured I'd give it a whirl. If its crap...only out 17 bucks.

Glad I tried it, because it runs perfectly. I have a 1976 made Mini-14 and I also tried it in Dad's 1992 Ranch Rifle and it works there, too!

So on the aftermarket mags....I'd say try one and see. Its only 17 bucks at Academy. It might work and it might not but they worked in MY Mini-14. I avioded them for many years, thinking they would not work because EVERYONE said so. Sometimes you have to try things for yourself.

...worth a try since they're cheap and readily avaiable.

Otherwise, order some factory 20 rounders from Ruger directly - they run about 30 bucks apiece.

- brickboy240

You have experienced what many have, the ProMags for the mini-14 do in fact usually work. The problem with them is that when you go buy more than one the chances are significantly higher that you will come across one or more that will not function as they should. So some of us (read I) would rather just purchase the factory mags and know they will work rather than take the chance on wasting the money on the promags.

freakshow

Mar 1, 2009
I've read quite a few consumer reviews on the promags in polymer, and those that I've read say the they are actually quite reliable. My step bro is a cop in denton and we were discussing this a couple days ago. We've both decided we're gonna try these plastic mags. Another question tho, are the 20's generally more reliable than the 30's? I know when I was in the Marines all my buddies loaded 29 and 28 rounds in their m16 mags. Some kept 30 in and didn't seem to have any probs tho. I just made sure I held onto the SAW, as I have a thing for belt feed.

juwaba98

Well-Known
May 9, 2008
North Zulch, TX
In my experiences with promags the 20s were definitely more reliable than the 30s. Thats not to say there weren't 30s that ran right, just a higher percentage that didn't. All of this is based on the metal mags, I've never tried the polymers.

CJS3

Nov 30, 2008
Katy
I have Ruger 20 round mags, but I also have some after market mags. From time to time there will be a feed problem, but so what. Just pull the bolt back and the next round chambers and you keep firing. A lot of times I think it has more to do with the ammo than the magazine.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member