• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    MOA- what is the actual definition of moa? I was told that it is a 1" group @100 yds, 2"@ 200 yds so on and so forth. Is this so? I know it means minute of angle but what is minute of angle and how do you determine what it is?
    Target Sports

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Measurements don't change "in the field".

Measurements actually do change in the field. When I am shooting at the 100 yard range, it is 100 yards. When I am shooting "in the field" at a deer that is at 100 yards, it will become a 200 yard shot when I get back and tell all my buddies about it. There's your "change in the field."

;)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Measurements actually do change in the field. When I am shooting at the 100 yard range, it is 100 yards. When I am shooting "in the field" at a deer that is at 100 yards, it will become a 200 yard shot when I get back and tell all my buddies about it. There's your "change in the field."

;)
    You do have a point there! ;) But back on topic for a second. So my original understanding was correct for the most part and it is 1.047" per 100 yds. thank you all for the replies

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio

;)

Yeah, I hadn't considered that change. The kind of friends I have, they would go measure your shot and ride you unmercifully if they can prove you're BSing!

'course there was that time I shot that doe in the next time zone...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    What they said.... MOA figure 1 inch at 100 yards. A good bolt action rifle should be capapble of 1/2 MOA. Of course wind and operator error add to that. But if you can shoot a group, from a rest at 100 yards and it's less than an inch, and about and inch high from POA, you're usually good to 250 yards on deer sized game without any hold over.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    1 MOA = 1" is close enough for government work. It'll get you hits out to 300 yards without much problem. It's when you push out to long range that it becomes more important to get it exactly right. The bigger the MOA correction you'll be making, the more important getting the number exactly right will be.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehe macmillan .50 cal and hardcore optics got me a headshot on a doe at 1.3 miles
    >=)

*wish*

Top Bottom