Join TexasGunTalk

mobile gun cleaning and range.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by mobilegunslinger, May 6, 2013.

1. mobilegunslinger

mobilegunslinger New Member

May 6, 2013
    look at reply number 13

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Doubt anybody would be willing to pay $40/gun. I know I wouldn't. Maybe $5/gun. I hate cleaning, but I'm still a cheap bastard.

3. GlockOwner

GlockOwner TGT Addict

Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
  4. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 1, 2011
    At $40/gun it better be striped, cleaned, lube'd (my choice), and reassembled 100% right in under 2 minutes. :p

Yea, I'd walk on by at that price and probably any other too, somethings are just best done in person.

5. Designated

Designated Senior Unobtanium Member TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I am just a lone opinion and by no means am trying to spoil your American Dream..... but there is no way in hell I would pay $40 for someone in a trailer to clean one weapon. It wouldn't matter if you had a ultrasonic cleaner or whatever in there.

On top of that you're business plan is to make people wait at the range - with no weapon - after they just spent a bunch of money (depending) - when they are trying to go home.

You asked for thoughts. I would use the money and do something different. Like offer CHL courses or open a kitchen table internet gun store or something.

I just don't know anyone who would pay any money to have some stranger clean weapons that wasn't a licensed gunsmith, or at the very least well known in that gun community.

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The odds of a business allowing you to piggyback off of their customers and other business investments is close to zero.

7. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Well, it really depends,...........would you have free beef jerky or Hooter girls washing cars too?

8. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

Best just to get well known at the ranges as a place to take your gun to get cleaned. Drop off some cards, get to know the owners. How many ranges already offer basic gunsmithing at the range?

9. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I clean guns for my friends. Its $25 for up to 4 guns of any type per cleaning and I go to their home and do it while we put on a movie or chat. I think it would be better to stock up on parts for common guns and run a gun-smith service out of that trailer. Now THAT would work great. I'm shooting, my gun acts up-I can go a few feet away and have you take a look at it, fix it on spot, and order any parts right there. As far as the range goes-I bet if you knocked out whatever qualifications you need and gave the range a 10% cut of your labor profits-they would be ok with it.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. Miloe

Miloe Member

Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    When I worked at a range, we had a surprising amount of people wanting us to clean their guns, typically a few a week.
    It was usually guys with brand new ar15s that were having issued and we'd ask the 'did you clean/lube it?' and the response was always, 'it's brand new'.
    I'd agree with the comment about a range letting you do this in their parking lot/area, I think that might be long odds.
    There are people out there wanting someone else to clean their guns, question is, will they pay any decent money for it.