• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    At $40/gun it better be striped, cleaned, lube'd (my choice), and reassembled 100% right in under 2 minutes. :p

Yea, I'd walk on by at that price and probably any other too, somethings are just best done in person.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I am just a lone opinion and by no means am trying to spoil your American Dream..... but there is no way in hell I would pay $40 for someone in a trailer to clean one weapon. It wouldn't matter if you had a ultrasonic cleaner or whatever in there.

On top of that you're business plan is to make people wait at the range - with no weapon - after they just spent a bunch of money (depending) - when they are trying to go home.

You asked for thoughts. I would use the money and do something different. Like offer CHL courses or open a kitchen table internet gun store or something.

I just don't know anyone who would pay any money to have some stranger clean weapons that wasn't a licensed gunsmith, or at the very least well known in that gun community.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Best just to get well known at the ranges as a place to take your gun to get cleaned. Drop off some cards, get to know the owners. How many ranges already offer basic gunsmithing at the range?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I clean guns for my friends. Its $25 for up to 4 guns of any type per cleaning and I go to their home and do it while we put on a movie or chat. I think it would be better to stock up on parts for common guns and run a gun-smith service out of that trailer. Now THAT would work great. I'm shooting, my gun acts up-I can go a few feet away and have you take a look at it, fix it on spot, and order any parts right there. As far as the range goes-I bet if you knocked out whatever qualifications you need and gave the range a 10% cut of your labor profits-they would be ok with it.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Last edited:

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    When I worked at a range, we had a surprising amount of people wanting us to clean their guns, typically a few a week.
    It was usually guys with brand new ar15s that were having issued and we'd ask the 'did you clean/lube it?' and the response was always, 'it's brand new'.
    I'd agree with the comment about a range letting you do this in their parking lot/area, I think that might be long odds.
    There are people out there wanting someone else to clean their guns, question is, will they pay any decent money for it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    This is just me but there's no way I would hand over my firearm to anyone to clean regardless of price.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    28th street range will clean them if they have I've let them do it once mainly cause I trusted the guy I was dealing with he's since gone on to bigger and better things.

mobilegunslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I feel like maybe I should have be more specific. I am a certified gunsmith. I am getting out of a 15 year run in the military as a unit level armorer and a disabled vet. I should have been more specific on the extent of services offered. I could offer on the spot cleaning, but I was thinking most of the business would be taken back to my shop to be cleaned and they could come pick-it up upon completion. This would not be just a wipe down and a bore brush but a deep cleaning. I would also offer full restoration of weapons. The trailer is just a way of bring business back to my shop. I will also offer chl classes and tactical weapons training. And sorry no hooters girls or jerky. Btw, I have spoken to some of the ranges in the area and its about a 50/50 chance of them letting me, some will some wont. Thanx for your thoughts

Last edited:

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I think a mobile trailer for gun cleaning isn't a bad idea, but I don't know that I would pay $40 per gun. If this is a vehicle to bring business back to your shop for additional cleanings, gun smithing, training, etc, then you might consider the cleanings as a loss leader of sorts. Think about your price and your target market. Also, if I were going to have you clean my gun(s), I'd want it done while I wait at the range.

Keep in mind that your target market might not be people like you find on this site, who are more dedicated gun enthusiasts. Your target market is more likely the beginning or non-obsessive shooter. Someone who owns a single gun, and goes to the range a few times a year for fun. Someone who never knew they needed to clean a gun. Yes there are idiots out there, and you have an opportunity to make money off of them.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    As rare as I clean mine, you'd go tango uniform waiting for business from guys like me.

However, mobile 'smithing services could get you plenty of business.

Perhaps you could stock night sights in the most popular sizes, and install them at the range.

mobilegunslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I think a mobile trailer for gun cleaning isn't a bad idea, but I don't know that I would pay $40 per gun. If this is a vehicle to bring business back to your shop for additional cleanings, gun smithing, training, etc, then you might consider the cleanings as a loss leader of sorts. Think about your price and your target market. Also, if I were going to have you clean my gun(s), I'd want it done while I wait at the range.

Keep in mind that your target market might not be people like you find on this site, who are more dedicated gun enthusiasts. Your target market is more likely the beginning or non-obsessive shooter. Someone who owns a single gun, and goes to the range a few times a year for fun. Someone who never knew they needed to clean a gun. Yes there are idiots out there, and you have an opportunity to make money off of them.
    Thank you so much for your input. I see where you are coming from about the price of a cleaning and you make some really good points.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I would think you might do better just setting up different places and letting people come to you like the low cost pet vaccination people. I bet you could bring in people that have guns stashed away and don't want to come into a gun shop/range and all that ninjaness. Advertise a cleanup/inspection for $39.95 ~ two for $74.99 etc.

Top Bottom