Join TexasGunTalk

mobile gun cleaning and range.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by mobilegunslinger, May 6, 2013.

1. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    This is just me but there's no way I would hand over my firearm to anyone to clean regardless of price.

2. Stukaman

Stukaman Well-Known

Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    28th street range will clean them if they have I've let them do it once mainly cause I trusted the guy I was dealing with he's since gone on to bigger and better things.

3. mobilegunslinger

mobilegunslinger New Member

May 6, 2013
    I feel like maybe I should have be more specific. I am a certified gunsmith. I am getting out of a 15 year run in the military as a unit level armorer and a disabled vet. I should have been more specific on the extent of services offered. I could offer on the spot cleaning, but I was thinking most of the business would be taken back to my shop to be cleaned and they could come pick-it up upon completion. This would not be just a wipe down and a bore brush but a deep cleaning. I would also offer full restoration of weapons. The trailer is just a way of bring business back to my shop. I will also offer chl classes and tactical weapons training. And sorry no hooters girls or jerky. Btw, I have spoken to some of the ranges in the area and its about a 50/50 chance of them letting me, some will some wont. Thanx for your thoughts

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. rgwalt

rgwalt Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I think a mobile trailer for gun cleaning isn't a bad idea, but I don't know that I would pay $40 per gun. If this is a vehicle to bring business back to your shop for additional cleanings, gun smithing, training, etc, then you might consider the cleanings as a loss leader of sorts. Think about your price and your target market. Also, if I were going to have you clean my gun(s), I'd want it done while I wait at the range.

Keep in mind that your target market might not be people like you find on this site, who are more dedicated gun enthusiasts. Your target market is more likely the beginning or non-obsessive shooter. Someone who owns a single gun, and goes to the range a few times a year for fun. Someone who never knew they needed to clean a gun. Yes there are idiots out there, and you have an opportunity to make money off of them.

5. scap99

scap99 TGT Addict

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    As rare as I clean mine, you'd go tango uniform waiting for business from guys like me.

However, mobile 'smithing services could get you plenty of business.

Perhaps you could stock night sights in the most popular sizes, and install them at the range.

6. mobilegunslinger

mobilegunslinger New Member

May 6, 2013
    Thank you so much for your input. I see where you are coming from about the price of a cleaning and you make some really good points.

7. BG1960

BG1960 Well-Known

I would think you might do better just setting up different places and letting people come to you like the low cost pet vaccination people. I bet you could bring in people that have guns stashed away and don't want to come into a gun shop/range and all that ninjaness. Advertise a cleanup/inspection for $39.95 ~ two for $74.99 etc.