Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've had quite a few people PM me with comments, concerns, and recommendations they have for the forum. They seem to revolve around the same premise, consistent moderation.

I'm pretty sure most on the forum have been mad at the mods at one time or another for something, myself included. It was one of the reasons I offered to be a mod. This forum has brought a lot of good things in to my life. Tons of knowledge and a LOT of good people, so I feel I have a vested interest in keeping it healthy and active.

So, to the point that seems to be on the mind of many of our members, an mine. Consistent moderation.

I've thought about this a lot and considered some of the comments y'all have had and hopefully can get some of it sorted out here in the open.

I'm gonna start off by asking that everyone realize there have been a lot of recent changes. Adding mods, looking at how to handle things, etc. some have mentioned things that happened a while back and comparing it to a recent event. That's going to happen. We have new mods and all the mods are working to improve. I don't think it's fair to use an event from a year ago as an example of things needing to be fixed. We have to let some past issues go in order to move forward.

As to current issues with consistency. Well, it's tough, lol. If we follow every rule to the letter we will have to go after friends giving each other a hard time. I think everyone would agree that "0 Tolerance" rarely works out well. We would piss everyone off and the forum would be extremely dull. If we let too much go we end up with a mad house, everyone fighting and insulting each other because they can and its the internet so get over it, etc.

In the end, we do our best to make a judgement call on each situation and decide if it crosses the line from allowing the members to be free to express themselves in to allowing a member to be a jerk to everyone. And because everyone will see that line in a slightly different spot, there will be a certain amount of inconsistency. We are working to keep that margin as small as small as possible.

I appreciate the comments and PMs from those who contacted me and invite anyone who has concerns to let me know. I'll answer anyone as best I can and try to resolve any issues that come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just to clarify- do you still want these concerns to be handled via PM, or is this thread a good place for it?

I would imagine that would depend on the complaint and who is making it.

This would be a good area for an open discussion but some stuff should be answered in private.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I see no problem with the current moderation. It has cut out a lot of petty bickering and name calling, and I am glad it has.

Here is a thank you to the mods!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just to clarify- do you still want these concerns to be handled via PM, or is this thread a good place for it?

Dawico nailed it.

Don't mind open discussion, but certain things are best kept private if possible. If you have an issue with a particular mod or something like that, PM is the way to go.

These threads can go to hell quick and I really don't want that to happen.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I see no problem with the current moderation. It has cut out a lot of petty bickering and name calling, and I am glad it has.

Here is a thank you to the mods!

Absolutely. The new mods have done a great job all around of streamlining the forum.

I don't mean that as a stab at the other mods either. People got busy off site and we needed more consistency and attention to some issues.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If anyone has a problem with me, they need to let me know.
    I sure won't address a problem I don't know about.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Dawico nailed it.

Don't mind open discussion, but certain things are best kept private if possible. If you have an issue with a particular mod or something like that, PM is the way to go.

These threads can go to hell quick and I really don't want that to happen.

Gotcha.

In that case, I'd say the mods are doing a fine job from what I have seen. They seem to be a little more quick to react to things than the old mods were, sometimes a little too soon. In general it's nothing worth complaining much about.

What does concern me is the idea of making TGT a gun-only board, but I already brought that up elsewhere.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gotcha.

In that case, I'd say the mods are doing a fine job from what I have seen. They seem to be a little more quick to react to things than the old mods were, sometimes a little too soon. In general it's nothing worth complaining much about.

What does concern me is the idea of making TGT a gun-only board, but I already brought that up elsewhere.

That's is kind of a work in progress, I wouldn't expect it to become a "gun board only" situation but with the upcoming election and insanity that it brings to the politics section we are working on some options to head it off.

Nothing is in stone right now and we aren't trying to wipe out any sections.

Edit to add: sometimes we're a little too quick, sometimes a little to slow. But do our best to find the right balance.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Gotcha.

About that "rant". I never wanted to be "gun only", but just wanted the bickering stopped.
    It seems to have worked. Y'all are correct. The diversity makes this place great, the divisiveness of politics makes it suck.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'll say this: I've been contacted by mods a few times (less than I can count on one hand) and EACH time involved a question or discussion, not just some blanket "infraction" handed down blindly.

If I screw up (which, around here anyway, has to be pretty willingly), I've earned whatever action gets taken against me. I feel that's well counter-balanced by mods who want to make the RIGHT call, not just A call to placate someone (including site owners).

As long as, behind the scenes, moderation is happening in moderation, then we're probably good-to-go.

I thought I saw a comment from a mod about meta-moderation, e.g. mods reviewing each others actions and trying to come to a balance. Is that true? If so, it's great.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Another comment: Just like the Classifieds and using PM's, I wouldn't mind seeing a time/post threshold to be able to post new threads and/or reply in the Politics section. Just a suggestion.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    About that "rant". I never wanted to be "gun only", but just wanted the bickering stopped.
    It seems to have worked. Y'all are correct. The diversity makes this place great, the divisiveness of politics makes it suck.

sometimes we're a little too quick, sometimes a little to slow. But do our best to find the right balance.

With responses like that it's even harder to complain about anything. As far as I'm concerned TGT is still like a vacation spot of the internet. The management might be different but the vibe is still mostly the same.

I do miss Alan, Zembones, and M. Sage, though!

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Granted, I have only been officially part of TGT for a short time, but I have been involved in numerous online "communities" over the past 20 years, and I have to say the way TGT is managed/moderated is a pleasure. The membership in general has been quite friendly and welcoming and every discussion I have been part of has been at the very least courteous. So, to everyone involved, mods and members alike, WELL DONE!!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Ran a FidoNet mail hub during the OS/2 warz, and still frequent UseNet.
    TGT is like a peaceful country village in comparison.

The current group of mods, like the artillery, add class to what would otherwise be a vulgar affair ...
    Keep up the good work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom