Mom protects kids; shoots intruder 5 times.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Good on Mom! By the bye, WGHP is the call sign for the reporting station in the Triad area of North Carolina. Loganville(the incident location) is a suburb of Atlanta. The perp should have bought a lottery ticket on the way to the hospital. ;)

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    She needs to spend some time at the range. A disgraceful display of marksmanship. :)

I wish she'd have put one between the f'er's eyes since he'll be on the streets in a few months.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Guys, handguns are marginal defensive weapons, and the last statistic I saw showed that about 3/4ths of people shot with handguns survive. There are stories galore people being shot multiple times in the chest, face, head, etc and surviving.

Taking the life of another human is a traumatic event. Not as much as being seriously injured yourself or watching your kids be killed, but devistating to most people. I have seen it over and over. I have two close friends who were forced to kill another person. I have been the responding officer when a citizen had to kill to survive. It is never a good day for the defender.

I am glad this woman will not have to face life with a death on her hands. I am more glad she and her familiar OK.

Seems to me her use of force was successful.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Guys, handguns are marginal defensive weapons, and the last statistic I saw showed that about 3/4ths of people shot with handguns survive. There are stories galore people being shot multiple times in the chest, face, head, etc and surviving.

Taking the life of another human is a traumatic event. Not as much as being seriously injured yourself or watching your kids be killed, but devistating to most people. I have seen it over and over. I have two close friends who were forced to kill another person. I have been the responding officer when a citizen had to kill to survive. It is never a good day for the defender.

I am glad this woman will not have to face life with a death on her hands. I am more glad she and her familiar OK.

Seems to me her use of force was successful.

That's why I prefer a long gun of some sort for home defense, and any other defensive situation where its possible. A determined attacker can still harm you if you don't stop them completely.

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    My wife saw this article before I did.
    She was hinting about asking for a .38 airweight like her friend carries.
    Now she wants to go buy a pump-action 12 ga.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    txinvestigator, was by no means trying to imply anything counter to your statement. I have not been put in that situation, and I pray I, nor my family, ever do. I can't imagine taking another life, even if it's someone in my house threatening me or my family. But I also never want to hesitate for a fraction of a second to shoot when the threat is real. And for me if I think too much about the aftermath of a situation like that, I fear I'll do just that (hesitate). It's certainly no laughing matter, but if this guy survives, and gets released from jail later and does the same thing to another family, they might not be so lucky as to be able to defend themselves. Also, we might jab about her needing to get more time in at the range, but I bet most of us on this forum would not be nearly as accurate when firing at another human versus when we're shooting at paper silhouettes.

As for the pistol thing: Yep, I would definitely prefer to use my 870. Problem is that it's a full length bad boy and with tighter hallways I don't want to be slamming into the wall, especially if it happened at night when I would be awakened. So with the pistols, just keep Federal HSTs in all of them and hope they never have to be used.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I agree that it's no laughing matter to kill someone who's coming after you, but now that she's only injured him she has opened herself to being robbed if he takes her to court and the court rules in his favor (even if they don't, I would think she's still stuck with lawyer fees), as well as him seeking her or her family for payback.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Agreed. Logically, you'd think that someone who was shot 5 times and survived after breaking into a house that they would take it as a sign that they have been given another chance and need to straighten out their life. But in reality if that occurs you have to worry about being sued :( what a whacked world we live in.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I agree that it's no laughing matter to kill someone who's coming after you, but now that she's only injured him she has opened herself to being robbed if he takes her to court and the court rules in his favor (even if they don't, I would think she's still stuck with lawyer fees), as well as him seeking her or her family for payback.

If you kill him his family can come after you. Worrying about being sued is probably THE worst reasons to concern yourself over injury vs death. In 2007, our legislature gave us immunity from liability in cases where we are justified under chapter 9 of the penal code.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    She needs to spend some time at the range. A disgraceful display of marksmanship. :)

I wish she'd have put one between the f'er's eyes since he'll be on the streets in a few months.

My guess( and I do mean GUESS because I wasn't there) is that she should have fired center mass.

Consider how much your head moves when running or any other activity for that matter, chest stays fairly stable.

Landing 5 shots on the head and neck of an attacker who is likely moving in an effort not to get shot or attempting to get to get to her first, IMO, is not bad marksmanship at all.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    She may have been firing center mass. DPS found that Troopers were hitting high because they were aiming at the upper chest, but in a deadly force encounter looking for the front sight they were bring it up out of the groove of the rear sight.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Very possible, that would explain why the vital zone on the DPS targets seems way to low on the new ones.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Unfortunately if you use any type of firearm against another person you will probably be arrested and sued. There are numerous magazine articles dealing with this each year. Luckily we here in Texas are probably not as apt to be taken in as people in other states are. Just because you use your firearm legally to protect yourself, your family, or your home doesn't mean you won't be sued in Civil Court. It makes no sense that the family of a crook killed in a home invasion can get compensation from the person who's house he broke into, but it can happen. The first person in Dallas county to be sued after the CHL law went in affect, was a driver who was attacked in his car while stopped at a red light. He had a CHL and used his pistol to repel the offender. He was no-billed by the Grand Jury, but was later sued by the assailant's family for wrongful death. He was eventually cleared during the trial, but he incurred over $200k in legal fees. The court awarded him damages against the assailant's family, but they were low income people, so he was never able to recoop his legal expenses.
    The comment about the shotgun is dead on (pardon the pun). Any high powered rifle and most pistols are not really good choices for home defense. You are shooting a small diameter object at a dark blurry object in you home. If you miss, no interior wall in any normal house will stop the bullet. Even exterior brick walls can be breached if you are in an exterior room and miss the bad guy. Buy an old pump shotgun. Chop off the barrel to shorten the overall length which also removes any choke from the barrel. Get youself some copper plated #4 Pheasant loads. You now have a perfect home defense weapon. No need to aim or worry about your laser sight, just point and shoot. Just the sound of a pump shotgun being racked will usually scare the sh#t out of any uninvited evening guest causing him/her to leave a brown slime trail for the good guys to follow. During Airborne Infantry training while I was in the Army, the instructors ground into our heads the tenet to kill or be killed. If you hesitate, you will die. I am almost positive pulling the trigger on a bad guy in my house would be no problem, but also being a Christian makes me wonder if I would pause. I pray to God I am never faced with that choice.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Unfortunately if you use any type of firearm against another person you will probably be arrested and sued. There are numerous magazine articles dealing with this each year. Luckily we here in Texas are probably not as apt to be taken in as people in other states are. Just because you use your firearm legally to protect yourself, your family, or your home doesn't mean you won't be sued in Civil Court. It makes no sense that the family of a crook killed in a home invasion can get compensation from the person who's house he broke into, but it can happen. The first person in Dallas county to be sued after the CHL law went in affect, was a driver who was attacked in his car while stopped at a red light. He had a CHL and used his pistol to repel the offender. He was no-billed by the Grand Jury, but was later sued by the assailant's family for wrongful death. He was eventually cleared during the trial, but he incurred over $200k in legal fees. The court awarded him damages against the assailant's family, but they were low income people, so he was never able to recoop his legal expenses.
    Texas now has immunity if you were justified. Most attorneys will not take a contingency in such a case, limiting the exposure to suit. However, a suit IS always possible.
    The comment about the shotgun is dead on (pardon the pun). Any high powered rifle and most pistols are not really good choices for home defense.
    Pretty much wrong.
    Buy an old pump shotgun. Chop off the barrel to shorten the overall length which also removes any choke from the barrel. Get youself some copper plated #4 Pheasant loads. You now have a perfect home defense weapon. No need to aim or worry about your laser sight, just point and shoot.
    That is completely untrue. Bird shot is not likely to do enough damage to stop a bad guy. And I have actually tested the "no aim" old wives tale. At in home distances, you DO need to aim.
    Just the sound of a pump shotgun being racked will usually scare the sh#t out of any uninvited evening guest causing him/her to leave a brown slime trail for the good guys to follow.
    Again, that is just not reality.
    During Airborne Infantry training while I was in the Army, the instructors ground into our heads the tenet to kill or be killed. If you hesitate, you will die. I am almost positive pulling the trigger on a bad guy in my house would be no problem, but also being a Christian makes me wonder if I would pause. I pray to God I am never faced with that choice.
    Thank you for your service, and for those wise words.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My guess( and I do mean GUESS because I wasn't there) is that she should have fired center mass.

Consider how much your head moves when running or any other activity for that matter, chest stays fairly stable.

Landing 5 shots on the head and neck of an attacker who is likely moving in an effort not to get shot or attempting to get to get to her first, IMO, is not bad marksmanship at all.

She did. It sounds like he might have been leaning toward her or something, because what I've seen is that the guy had both lungs perforated, and holes in both his stomach and liver.

Top Bottom