Mom's Proficiency Target

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by longtooth, Mar 24, 2008.

1. longtooth

longtooth Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Mom is my shootin buddy. She loves it & I brag on her a lot so you might as well get used to it. She is 77 now & still shoots regular. Her last renewal target. 246
    [​IMG]

2. Duman44

Duman44 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Your Mom's a good shot.

If you don't mind my asking, how did she get her target back after qualifying? My instructor said he had to keep them "on file"?

Also, don't the shots count for 4 points each, with anything outside the 8 ring not counting at all-thus with 4 in the 7 ring it would score 230?

It's still great shooting, out of my class of 12 only 2 of us shot better than that.

3. ctxpta

ctxpta New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    CHL-Instructor

No we do not have to keep them for file. Some do some don't. The test is actually listed as a pass/fail for our records with the minimum score being a 175 (pass) out of 250. Scoring as follows: anything inside or touching the outer 8 ring is 5 points, anything inside or touching the outer 7 ring is 4 points and anything outside and NOT touching the outer 7 ring but still in or touching the blue/green/black area is 3 points. Anything in white or off the target is 0.

4. Duman44

Duman44 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    My mistake-Thanks for the clarification.

5. texaspartsman

texaspartsman Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    Our instructor marked all our targets as pass or fail and then threw all the targets away, all except mine which had replacement 6" target center placed over the hole in it. One 3" diameter hole with 3 flyers . Whole spread was less than 5 inches. If you want to score good try to put your first shot as close to center as possible and them aim at that hole. If you are not actually aiming at something, some small dot on the target, you will look like you were shooting a shotgun at the target. To quote Mel Gibson in the patriot "Aim small , miss small" :rofl:

6. texaspartsman

texaspartsman Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    By the way, tell give here a big congrat, she would definitely done away with the bad guy.

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I kept my target as well.

There were renewals in my class that had bigger patterns in their first 2-3 rounds than your Mom's final. :D She done good!

8. longtooth

longtooth Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Thank you gents. Yes she shoots pretty good for 77. She is healthy & I would rather shoot w/ her than any man I know.
    BTW she sews too & I need to do a thread on the cover vests she makes for me.;)

9. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK Member

Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    Thats pretty impressive, probally better than me =)

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    When they told us about the scoring, I took a look at the target and was kinda shocked. We need a higher standard than what is currently in use. There where people in my group that were shooting the guys junk off in one shot then the next was hitting him in the shoulder. This is how these people shoot in a calm atmosphere, imagine when someone is about to stab them to death. :eek: