• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    It's not the best ammo and it's pretty nasty stuff. Sigs tend to be really sensitive with power factor, it's entirely possible the Monarch is underpowered, but make sure you are running the Sig well lubricated and you are getting your grip high enough on the gun, it takes a fair amount of cut back to not cycle.

I've shot thousands of rounds of Monarch through all of my Sigs (P6, P228, P226 .40) and never had one issue. I've shot them all in USPSA matches and almost every week I'm the only shooter that doesn't have a single failure, including Glock shooters. My guns are very well lubricated but I only clean every thousand or so. Like I said, 100% reliable for me, or damn close to it.
    Capitol Armory ad

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have shot about 8000 rds of the Monarch through my CZ Rami and never had a problem with it
    other than beening dirtyer than some others I have tried. The only reason I stopped using it was
    Federal at Wal Mart was always in stock and a little cheaper.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Monarch is not an actual manufacturer, it is Academy's house brand. The brass cased ammo is made by PPU in Serbia and the steel jacketed ammo is made by Barnaul in Russia. I don't use steel jacket ammo, but their brass is decent quality.
    Agreed! PPU is the head stamp for ammo manufactured by Privi Partisan in Serbia, which is one of Eastern Europe's oldest ammo companies.

The powder they use tends to burn a little dirty, but never had a round fail to go bang, or have powder residue gum up the works.

Don't know about their .40 S&W, but their .380, 9mm, and .223 work great, are Boxer primed, and are easy to re-load.

Be well.

raduque

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Corpus Christi
    I put a hundred rounds of 9x19 Monarch/PPU through my P95 and it fed all of them flawlessly. She also likes WWB and Federal Champion (walmart), but oddly, I have a lot of Fail to Extracts with Winchester 9mm NATO (124gr FMJ "+P"). I was thinking the +P charge was causing the brass to expand and get caught in the chamber, but when I drop the mag and tilt the gun back, the case falls right out, so I don't know why it won't extract. I got like 3 every 15rd mag.

I would definitely buy the Monarch/PPU again, they were $11/box.

Edit: I do believe this is my first post here.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Well I shot some Monarch .40 through my G23 yesterday, shot flawlessly. I guess that means it is a problem with my Sig

I suppose I mis-typed earlier.

I have had fail-to-fires in one of my P6's with factory ammo. Don't remember if it was Monarch, but it's a good chance since I buy a lot of Monarch. But it doesn't matter. I know exactly why that pistol failed. It's because I replaced the main spring trying to reduce the DA pull. That also has the effect of reducing the power of the hammer striking the firing pin. Weak main spring equals light primer strikes. That failure was totally self induced.

I'd say swap out your hammer spring with a new factory or factory weight Wolff spring and see if it clears up your ammo problems.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks that really good advice.

As I might have stated before, the vast majority of the FTE's were when my friend was firing (it was her first time to shoot a weapon of any kind). I attribute a great amount of the FTE's to limp wristing.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    We had 3 ftfs in a glock 22 today. I had never had issues but that is shit. By the way it is rebranded privi partisan, I used to work for academy and it came in privi boxes.

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    Well I shot some Monarch .40 through my G23 yesterday, shot flawlessly. I guess that means it is a problem with my Sig

I would try it with a different magazine before deciding on anything else. Then I would simply switch ammo manufacturers and see if it's an issue of your SIG not liking the Monarch.

The ONLY problem I ever had with my SIGs was one manufacturer's (BULL-X) brand of .40 S&W. It didn't like to feed but I never had FTEs.

You might want to pay close attention to cleaning your extractor next time. I use a pipe cleaner to get at the crud in the extractor channel.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I've shot a lot of it in my 9mm SIG with no issues other than it's NOT clean. But I clean my pistol after every range session so it's not a major issue. It's decent cheap stuff for punching holes in paper. And the PPU stuff, while nasty, isn't as bad as some of the Russian stuff that's even cheaper.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom