• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I retired 3 years ago and periodically report to the retired or soon to be retired members about what it's actually like to have 24/7 available to do what you want to do. I decided on day one that I would pursue retirement activities as diligently as I did my working career but it's something that you really NEED to do! Retired people need a reason to get up in the morning or pretty soon....you won't get up at all!

Here's the latest efforts:

Got a chance to buy a Remington 870 in .410 but the ammo was three times higher than 12 gauge ammo cost. Ordered a MEC 600jr reloader in 410 just like the 12 gauge loader that I already have. .410 components are extremely scarce and I just researched 25 pages of possible sources with no result. I contacted Precision Reloading and found some NEW Cheddite hulls, Cheddite primers (Different size) and Claybuster wads. My H110 powder is back ordered so that's temporarily held up.

My eyes are trashed from allergies so it has slowed me down a bit. I've always loved music so I sent for a Fender acoustic guitar, a beginner 4/4 size violin and several harmonicas all with instruction books. Jake, my dog doesn't care for the violin but I'm making some progress.

I can tune the violin and guitar now and pick a few cords. I learned about the violin "Bridge" and noted that it was installed backwards on my instrument! Heck, before this, I didn't know what a bridge was! I looked it up and learned how to correct that. Now, it's easier to tune. The violin is an amazing acoustic machine!

The harmonicas have been the most fun! I can pick up virtually any tune and with a few mistakes, play right along! Of the three, the harmonicas have been the best as my eyes are swollen and reading sucks, right now. I can play the harmonica without much reading. With ZERO knowledge of music or how to read music, start up has been slow. I determine what the chord on the violin music should be then mark it on the music sheet..."E", "C, etc. I'm just too slow at reading the notes.

Reading "TAB" for guitar music is cool! Never knew anything about that and it's pretty interesting. I always heard that session players don't use music for recording. Now that I know what "Tab" is, it makes more sense.

The instruments are inexpensive! The Fender FA100 acoustic was $114, Mendini violin $81 and the Hohner harmonicas about $15-$25 each. As a retired man I no longer need to wonder "what if" I tried the guitar, violin or harmonicas. I just do it! The plan is to work with the instruction books to find out which instrument suits me the best. Later, I'll select my favorite and get formal lessons. I never played an instrument before and for the kind of money we're looking at, there's no reason NOT to do it!

Meanwhile, I got two instrument stands and have the guitar and violin displayed in my living room. They are just too beautiful to put them away in a case.

Between mowing every 6 days, riding Jake around on the adult tricycle, catching all the latest movies and fooling with these instruments, that's the latest.

Soon...the heat will slack off and clay pigeon slaying will begin!

Flash
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Good on ya. As someone who has played trumpet for 7 years though, quality instruments are pretty $$$$. Soon, you as you play more, you will need to upgrade.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Let me know when your ready. I haven't shot clays in a while.

ABSOLUTELY! We have a BALL out there! I only have ONE guest badge but you're sure welcome to use it! As long as you wear the badge, you have insurance coverage, so it's mandatory.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Soon, you as you play more, you will need to upgrade.

True. I wasn't kidding myself that I was buying quality instruments but for a "taste" of what it's like to play, it's worth it. I had no previous experience or training. If I decide that I don't want to continue with one of them, I'll donate it to my old school district.

My neighbors are great and tend to the redneck side. I was talking to my next door neighbor and it turns out that he was trained as a classical violinist and was first chair through school!

I just want to try it out. Maybe I'll do well, maybe not. Gotta try.

Flash

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Soon, you as you play more, you will need to upgrade.

True. I wasn't kidding myself that I was buying quality instruments but for a "taste" of what it's like to play, it's worth it. I had no previous experience or training. If I decide that I don't want to continue with one of them, I'll donate it to my old school district.

My neighbors are great and tend to the redneck side. I was talking to my next door neighbor and it turns out that he was trained as a classical violinist and was first chair through school!

I just want to try it out. Maybe I'll do well, maybe not. Gotta try.

Flash

Violin is on my bucket list. It is one of the most elegant instrument ever made

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Let me know when your ready. I haven't shot clays in a while.

ABSOLUTELY! We have a BALL out there! I only have ONE guest badge but you're sure welcome to use it! As long as you wear the badge, you have insurance coverage, so it's mandatory.

Flash

I wasn't by any means implying you should let me use your guest pass, I didn't even know you had one or were a member of a range. But thank you for the offer. I have never shot clays at a
    Range, only my back yard. Lol.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Violin is on my bucket list. It is one of the most elegant instrument ever made

You didn't hear my sister play in the fourth grade, did you? ;)
    I felt like a dweeb carrying HER violin three whole blocks to school(I was in the first grade at that time).
    Not exactly the same, but the fiddle players in my cousin's blue grass band The Grass Cats can ROCK!

I have twin nephews who played for a couple of years in jr high/high school. I need to find out if they are going to continue for their senior year.

If I could sing a lick, I'd have tried a musical instrument somewhere along the line(that's MY excuse). I think I missed that music gene when they gave them out. I've been blissfully unemployed for 5 years...time to pick up a new hobby or craft!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Flash didn't you have a couple of towable clay machines?

I have a Do-all electric with wireless remote. Another one of our members has TWO of the same units. Mine has wheels and I rigged a small trailer to haul it. Set up time is maybe 5 minutes! That sucker will throw a bird 70 yards!

Rangel......Let's go! The range is near you off Bohemian Hall Road. It won't cost a thing except birds & bullets.....snicker!

Flash

Attachments

• CLAY TRAP  4  SMALL 1-26-2013.jpg
      CLAY TRAP 4 SMALL 1-26-2013.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 171
    Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Violin is on my bucket list.

Jake politely leaves the room when I reach for the violin. I had NO musical background so I started from square one. The violin was the most difficult as it gives the exercises in music notes. Well....that would be OK if I knew Jack about it! That slows things up a lot.

The harmonica is set up with "hole numbers" and suck or blow. (That's gonna end up in the post whore thread for sure).

Guitar has "Tab" which is easy to figure out! It shows the string, fret and finger to use. My guitar problems center around a broken left wrist and huge hands/fingers. That has been hard.

So far, the harmonica has been the best choice.

Flash

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    You've got time to do things in retirement??? The only free time I've found is between about 9-10 PM at which time I go to bed and try to rest up for the next days projects... Maybe in a couple of years I'll have "time" to do other things ;)

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    You've got time to do things in retirement??? The only free time I've found is between about 9-10 PM at which time I go to bed and try to rest up for the next days projects... Maybe in a couple of years I'll have "time" to do other things ;)

I'll say moving from 3600 sq ft to 2100 and losing a garage bay has kept me busy for the last three weeks. At least the new projects don't have such a sense of 'urgency' built in(although My Darling is pushing for the cork flooring in two rooms!).

To paraphrase:
    "Retirement is a journey, not a destination." :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Hmmmm. I'm retired but I never thought of taking up music again. I played piano, drums, clarinet, and guitar as a kid. Then I fell in love with the bassoon and dropped everything else. I thought I was good.

After high school what was then known as "The San Antonio Municipal Band" invited me to sit in. They were a motley group of dedicated amateurs. Two rehearsals later, I clearly knew deep down in my heart that I didn't have what it took to be a professional musician and (rightfully, with no regrets) gave up that dream.

Besides, I could never read tenor clef worth shit. ;)

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My 20 year friend and neighbor handles his retirement differently. He hooked up with his church and they work him to death! I didn't want to work, I wanted to play! I schedule fun activities every day which include hobbies, reloading and shooting.

PLAYING is my job and I do it well! I need to mow, cook, do housework and all the other mundane things in life but I make sure playing gets at least equal billing!

OH, the local college Emailed to see if I want to teach another class. Maybe I will....maybe not.

If I can get my eyes to clear up, I'll catch a movie at noon.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    If the violin is your hearts desire, why not jump?

Here's what I got at Amazon. This is a NICE piece of wood! It comes with lots of goodies and two bows, too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mendini-Fitte...qid=1376638346&sr=8-3&keywords=mendini+violin

I just received my new guitar instruction books. I wanted some songs to play and boy.....do I have them now!

You need an electronic tuner. Some of them run less than $10. There's no reason to wish you could mess with a violin. It's time!

Flash

Last edited:

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I have wanted to learn to play flute (stop snickering!) because I think it is a pretty instrument. I played sax from junior high through college and still play some. My daughter is a flute player and I have been messing around telling her she needs to teach me. Well, I bought her a new flute a couple weeks ago, so now she has 2 flutes and can teach me! I also used to know how to play clarinet and am thinking about picking that back up. That way, I could play the "reeds" part for the theatre when they have musicals. My son is attempting to get a reed spot as well, so the 2 woodwind players could be father and son. Wouldn't that be cool to play semi-pro with him....

I would also like to learn guitar again (hadn't played for 20 some odd years...) And if I could play banjo like Steve Martin or Earl Scruggs.....

If I started with a violin, I would rather learn fiddle instead of classical.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So far, the harmonica has been the best choice.
    If I take up any musical instrument in retirement, I'll start (and probably end) with the harmonica. My dad could play it so well; I'd love to be able to do something similar.

Top Bottom