• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This thread is all about wanting to do something but not having the time to do it. NOW.....that's all changed! I'm working my bucket list diligently. There's no longer any need to wait!

Here's the harmonica that I like the best
    http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-H455C-...F8&qid=1376638572&sr=8-1&keywords=HOHNER+455C

I got the new guitar music books in today. After sorting through the books I had before, I decided what I wanted. I want to play folks music style finger pickin. I don't want to play in a band. I want folk music. Before I got into this, I didn't know the difference in how to play the guitar. I'm way ahead of where I was.

Steve Martin is my hero! That dude can play a banjo and I love bluegrass music!

Flash
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wasn't by any means implying you should let me use your guest pass, I didn't even know you had one or were a member of a range. But thank you for the offer

Rangle, I went back to re-read that and figured out what you meant. I told you about the guest pass so you'd understand how our club works. I only have one guest pass so I can only take one person out there with me at a time. Wearing the guest pass insures you while on the property. You'd still need to be with me out there. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

The down side of that is that I can't host a large bunch of TGT members at the club. The passes cost $35 to $50 each (I forget) so I just got one. That's how they do it. Another TGT member, Steve also has a club membership so we can get a few guys together to shoot.

Ideally, if we could find some land, we could all band together and bring our traps out there. Buy birds and some bullets and we'd slay some pigeons!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Got some new developments on the Guitar playing. I'm learning a LOT!

My Fender acoustic has steel strings and sounds great! Unfortunately, my fingers are short and about the size of an Oscar Meyer Wiener! It's hard for me to cover the strings on a chord because my fingers are so large.

Been researching acoustic guitars. Steel string and nylon string guitars are completely different in construction and it's a real bad idea to restring a steel to nylon or a nylon to steel on a guitar. In fact, steel strings on a nylon string guitar will pull and warp the guitar neck. The neck on a steel string guitar is much stronger!

I also found out that a nylon string guitar differs in a lot of other ways from the steel acoustic. The neck and frets are flat on a nylon and (now get this....) the strings are spaced farther apart! The neck is wider, too

Sounds on a nylon are softer but the steel stays in tune better. The neck and frets on a steel string are curved, too. I have light strings on my steel Fender and while it sounds great, I need more finger room. Close spacing is the problem.

SO....old fat finger Flash is going to pop for another guitar! I picked a Fender nylon string guitar in the same full size as my steel string. It cost about the same and it should give me some more finger room. It's worth a try as the cost isn't too bad.

A word of caution here. I looked at a LOT of used guitars and a very high percentage of them had warped necks. Look at the guitar from the side and if the strings are positioned far above the frets, the neck is warped. That guitar is all but impossible to play.

That's how I've always done things. Jump in it with both feet and slug away!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I received the new Fender nylon string acoustic guitar and it is much easier to play! Sound is NOT as good as the steel string and the nylon strings stretch like a rubber band. I've had the nylon string Fender for a few days now and really enjoy it but the the thing needs to be re-tuned every time that you pick it up. It's getting better as time goes by. I guess as the strings stretch, it will stay in tune.

I hate to repeat myself but I had NO idea that I could get a nice quality name brand guitar that sounds great for $114!

Flash

Top Bottom