Target Sports

Mosin 91/30 needs a headspace check in Cedar Park Texas any ideas??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    leander
    Hey all,

just got my recently acquired Mosin Nagant 91/30 cleaned up and am needing a headspace check.
    Gun has forced matched serial#s and I want to be safe.

So, if anyone can direct me to a person who can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanx

:1zhelp:

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Mosins are not guns that often have headspacing issues, however it doesn't hurt one bit to understand it and to check it. Headspacing is easy to measure with clear shipping tape. Most clear shipping tape is .002" thick. simply 2 slices on the headstamp and try to close the bolt. If it closes with .004" of added thickness you have a headspacing issue. If it does not close then try it with one slice of tape just to see if your headspace is on the tight or the loose side of the tolerance. But as long as it doesnt close on 2 pieces youre good. ( use calipers to double check the thickness once the tape is placed on the rim. ) This isn't precision headspace measurement, but it will give you a very good idea if you're in a danger zone or not.

LukeTheDrifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    North of Dallas, TX
    Hey woolleyworm!

I've got a number of Mosins that I would like to perform a headspace check on, and your's sounds like a quick, great way to do it.

Just a couple of questions:
    1. When you say to place the tape on the "headstamo", could you please clarify what part exactly you're referring to? Is this another term for the boltface?
    2. When checking, should a round be chambered as well, or is this just to be done with an unloaded rifle?

Thank you very much!!

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Hey woolleyworm!

I've got a number of Mosins that I would like to perform a headspace check on, and your's sounds like a quick, great way to do it.

Just a couple of questions:
    1. When you say to place the tape on the "headstamo", could you please clarify what part exactly you're referring to? Is this another term for the boltface? Blazer.jpg

The sticky side of the tape will be placed on the fired cartridge's headstamp, ya don't want to get your boltface gummed up.

2. When checking, should a round be chambered as well, or is this just to be done with an unloaded rifle?

You will be using a fired cartridge and chambering it with the two different thicknesses of tape. You don't need to pull the trigger, just chamber it and close the bolt, you can run the round from the magazine if you prefer.
    I find it good practice to have all live ammo sealed up and put away when I'm doing any cleaning/action testing/trigger adjustments/etc.

Thank you very much!!

This is just a quick guage; if you're unsure in the slightest, get it to a smith and have it measured. I would also take one sized case and use the double thickness of tape and ensure that the bolt does not close on it. ( either size a case or you can pull the bullet or just use the live round and keep it pointed in a safe direction )

Top Bottom