• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Classic Firearms got some Mosins in stock last week so I went ahead and ordered one. What a hot mess! I’ve had good luck with the hand select option so I chose that, and it looks like they just saw a pretty stock and picked it. It literally looks like they used the butt plate as a hammer to re-shingle a house! There is a lot of deep pitting in places, and I figured it was gonna be counter bored, but WOW! You can fit a 7.63X54R round down the muzzle all the way to the shoulder. And I don’t have a headspace gauge,so I used a couple pieces of some masking tape on the end of a round, and I know it’s not a reliable test, but it’s not as tight as I would like! You win some and you lose some! Gonna put a couple rounds through it tomorrow and see if it’s worth messing with anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    I wouldn’t shoot it, friggin commie gun junk.

The fact there is only one lug on the bolt behind the 7.62 x54 is scary enough, add to that it is worn out....nope.

Dude showed up at the range, he had polished the bolt all bright and shiny, when he fired it the bolt went flying into his face.

JoeAmerica

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2020
    Texas
    Everything I have bought from Classic, I have either returned or tried to return. They are currently holding up a $90 return. Just my experience.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

The fact there is only one lug on the bolt behind the 7.62 x54 is scary enough, add to that it is worn out....nope.

Dude showed up at the range, he had polished the bolt all bright and shiny, when he fired it the bolt went flying into his face.

I’m sure there’s no way he did any other stupid crap to make the rifle unsafe to shoot. 100% the guns fault.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Remington made them also , they are well built well.
    And yes, the idiot who polished the bolt screwed up badly.
    sorry for the rant.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!

That "friggin commie gun junk" will be around long after your plastic AR turns to dust.

Classic Firearms got some Mosins in stock last week so I went ahead and ordered one. What a hot mess! I’ve had good luck with the hand select option so I chose that, and it looks like they just saw a pretty stock and picked it. It literally looks like they used the butt plate as a hammer to re-shingle a house! There is a lot of deep pitting in places, and I figured it was gonna be counter bored, but WOW! You can fit a 7.63X54R round down the muzzle all the way to the shoulder. And I don’t have a headspace gauge,so I used a couple pieces of some masking tape on the end of a round, and I know it’s not a reliable test, but it’s not as tight as I would like! You win some and you lose some! Gonna put a couple rounds through it tomorrow and see if it’s worth messing with anymore.

Dude, that sucks. I would contact Classic to see about a replacement. If it's in that bad of shape, they owe you a refund or a different rifle. Even the Chinese T53 I have isn't that bad, and I only paid about $75 for it.

Next time try finding one in person, or from a seller who posts actual pictures of the rifle.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    You should see some of the SKS that J&G are advertising for nearly $500. Unless new, I want to inspect everything I buy beforehand. These pay $30 extra for a better one deals sound like a sucker is born every minute. The guys on youtube reviewing them get the good ones.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    That "friggin commie gun junk" will be around long after your plastic AR turns to dust.

Dude, that sucks. I would contact Classic to see about a replacement. If it's in that bad of shape, they owe you a refund or a different rifle. Even the Chinese T53 I have isn't that bad, and I only paid about $75 for it.

Next time try finding one in person, or from a seller who posts actual pictures of the rifle.

I’ve been watching and bidding on Mosins on gunbroker for a few weeks. I thought I had the winning bid on a decent one for $350 last week, and with a minute left I got outbid, and decided it wasn’t worth $400+ to keep on bidding. I’ve seen a few at gun shows that looked ok, but you never know about the insides without completely breaking them down. The rifling looks good on the one I got, it’s just the muzzle end is pretty bad. I really need to get a go gauge or at least a field gauge to properly check headspace. I just did the poor mans version with a couple pieces of masking tape on the back of a round. With 3 pieces of tape it’s tight but the bolt will close. I may take some pics and contact Classic. I know they’re used surplus and sold as is, but they’re supposed to be “shooters” and I’m not sure how well this thing will shoot!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I’ve been watching and bidding on Mosins on gunbroker for a few weeks. I thought I had the winning bid on a decent one for $350 last week, and with a minute left I got outbid, and decided it wasn’t worth $400+ to keep on bidding. I’ve seen a few at gun shows that looked ok, but you never know about the insides without completely breaking them down. The rifling looks good on the one I got, it’s just the muzzle end is pretty bad. I really need to get a go gauge or at least a field gauge to properly check headspace. I just did the poor mans version with a couple pieces of masking tape on the back of a round. With 3 pieces of tape it’s tight but the bolt will close. I may take some pics and contact Classic. I know they’re used surplus and sold as is, but they’re supposed to be “shooters” and I’m not sure how well this thing will shoot!

What we need to do is form a little club where we rent go and no go gages to each other so that we don't have to buy these things where they sit in the safe forever and only get used once. Maybe I will even do that and rent them out for $10 (?) a week or something. The Teslong riflescopes on Amazon are just unbelievably good too. I would never buy a used anything without running the scope down the bore. That borescope is just amazing. Wish I had it when I bought my SKS with a bore that looks like s*it. As far as gunbroker auctions, they may have software that automatically bids for you, not sure. I used to do that on ebay.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I get it; Mosins are cheap. But they weren't particularly good rifles when they were new. Why waste your time and money on something this mediocre. Let's face it, a lot of old firearms are really only good for wall decorations. Many weren't maintained very well and corrosive primers ate up barrels terribly. That old Mosin may have been fired by 10 guys that all got sent to whatever part of hell commies go to by an MG-42 or a Mauser 98.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Some guy's just love old war relic firearms. You couldn't give me a truck load of them,especially a Mosin.
    I do get it though,Most guy's are real cheap when it comes to buying and shooting firearms. I'll stick with shooting high quality,well built modern rifles with nice optics mounted on top of them.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Some guy's just love old war relic firearms. You couldn't give me a truck load of them,especially a Mosin.
    I do get it though,Most guy's are real cheap when it comes to buying and shooting firearms. I'll stick with shooting high quality,well built modern rifles with nice optics mounted on top of them.

tenor.gif

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I suppose it is kinda like buying an old 50's Chevy or Ford.
    They were just normal everyday cars so what is the big deal about people paying six figures for them these days?

BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!!!!!!!!

VW beetles were cheap junk from the 50s to the 70s. They are bringing 'stupid money' these days.

Jay Leno collects valuable cars as well as mundane. I guess he must be some kind of idiot?

It's up to the collector to decide if it is worth buying.
    I have 8 Mosin Nagants. They are a part of my collection. I also have a dozen or more Mausers.

I get it that some people will NOT buy used. (cars or guns)
    To each their own.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It’s not as terrible a shooter as I thought it was gonna be. Took it to the indoor range and gave it a go. This is the first 5 shots from 25 yards, standing and shooting from the shoulder, with mil-surp steel case. The flyer was the first shot, which I took aim, then held it out away from my body and got my head out from behind the gun just in case! When it fired ok, I took the other 4 normally. I went in just hoping I could keep the shots within 5”-6”. May try to get to the outdoor range this week, where I can shoot from a rest, and have a lot better aim with that long heavy beast of a rifle!
    0ff6ec1459c2d504f9df86ea8576ce11.jpg

Top Bottom