Mosin mess!

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
You should see some of the SKS that J&G are advertising for nearly $500. Unless new, I want to inspect everything I buy beforehand. These pay $30 extra for a better one deals sound like a sucker is born every minute. The guys on youtube reviewing them get the good ones.

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
That "friggin commie gun junk" will be around long after your plastic AR turns to dust.

Dude, that sucks. I would contact Classic to see about a replacement. If it's in that bad of shape, they owe you a refund or a different rifle. Even the Chinese T53 I have isn't that bad, and I only paid about $75 for it.

Next time try finding one in person, or from a seller who posts actual pictures of the rifle.
I’ve been watching and bidding on Mosins on gunbroker for a few weeks. I thought I had the winning bid on a decent one for $350 last week, and with a minute left I got outbid, and decided it wasn’t worth $400+ to keep on bidding. I’ve seen a few at gun shows that looked ok, but you never know about the insides without completely breaking them down. The rifling looks good on the one I got, it’s just the muzzle end is pretty bad. I really need to get a go gauge or at least a field gauge to properly check headspace. I just did the poor mans version with a couple pieces of masking tape on the back of a round. With 3 pieces of tape it’s tight but the bolt will close. I may take some pics and contact Classic. I know they’re used surplus and sold as is, but they’re supposed to be “shooters” and I’m not sure how well this thing will shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
I’ve been watching and bidding on Mosins on gunbroker for a few weeks. I thought I had the winning bid on a decent one for $350 last week, and with a minute left I got outbid, and decided it wasn’t worth $400+ to keep on bidding. I’ve seen a few at gun shows that looked ok, but you never know about the insides without completely breaking them down. The rifling looks good on the one I got, it’s just the muzzle end is pretty bad. I really need to get a go gauge or at least a field gauge to properly check headspace. I just did the poor mans version with a couple pieces of masking tape on the back of a round. With 3 pieces of tape it’s tight but the bolt will close. I may take some pics and contact Classic. I know they’re used surplus and sold as is, but they’re supposed to be “shooters” and I’m not sure how well this thing will shoot!

What we need to do is form a little club where we rent go and no go gages to each other so that we don't have to buy these things where they sit in the safe forever and only get used once. Maybe I will even do that and rent them out for $10 (?) a week or something. The Teslong riflescopes on Amazon are just unbelievably good too. I would never buy a used anything without running the scope down the bore. That borescope is just amazing. Wish I had it when I bought my SKS with a bore that looks like s*it. As far as gunbroker auctions, they may have software that automatically bids for you, not sure. I used to do that on ebay.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
I get it; Mosins are cheap. But they weren't particularly good rifles when they were new. Why waste your time and money on something this mediocre. Let's face it, a lot of old firearms are really only good for wall decorations. Many weren't maintained very well and corrosive primers ate up barrels terribly. That old Mosin may have been fired by 10 guys that all got sent to whatever part of hell commies go to by an MG-42 or a Mauser 98.

Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
North Texas
Some guy's just love old war relic firearms. You couldn't give me a truck load of them,especially a Mosin.
I do get it though,Most guy's are real cheap when it comes to buying and shooting firearms. I'll stick with shooting high quality,well built modern rifles with nice optics mounted on top of them.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
Feb 13, 2015
Rural Wise County, TX.
I suppose it is kinda like buying an old 50's Chevy or Ford.
They were just normal everyday cars so what is the big deal about people paying six figures for them these days?

BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!!!!!!!!

VW beetles were cheap junk from the 50s to the 70s. They are bringing 'stupid money' these days.

Jay Leno collects valuable cars as well as mundane. I guess he must be some kind of idiot?

It's up to the collector to decide if it is worth buying.
I have 8 Mosin Nagants. They are a part of my collection. I also have a dozen or more Mausers.

I get it that some people will NOT buy used. (cars or guns)
To each their own.

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
Old guns are cool, but for the price beat up mosins bring, you can nearly get a yugo mauser or an Enfield, which are far more enjoyable to shoot

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
It’s not as terrible a shooter as I thought it was gonna be. Took it to the indoor range and gave it a go. This is the first 5 shots from 25 yards, standing and shooting from the shoulder, with mil-surp steel case. The flyer was the first shot, which I took aim, then held it out away from my body and got my head out from behind the gun just in case! When it fired ok, I took the other 4 normally. I went in just hoping I could keep the shots within 5”-6”. May try to get to the outdoor range this week, where I can shoot from a rest, and have a lot better aim with that long heavy beast of a rifle!

Brains

Hey! Relax!
Apr 9, 2013
Spring

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs