• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    This is a question that my neighbor is asking, I havent had a problem with my mosin, hopefully someone can answer this for him.

Went to the range today and ran into a problem. See if you have any idea how to fix this one.

Mosin Nagant M91/30 firing a 7.62x54R

I have not checked it with a caliper yet, but it appears that the neck is swollen on two pieces of brass that I saved today from the range. One came out with a little coaxing, the other casing would not come out at all and the cleaning rod is too short without jag on the end of it, so I had to take it home. I installed a second cleaning rod on the end of the original and the brass came out, but not as easy as it should have.

These were factory loads. FMJ Brass with brass case. If they are swollen, what can you do to fix that problem. Maybe look for a steel case like these military rounds I have for my 7.62x39 ??

Never run into that before, but the bolt was hard to open after both rounds were fired. Both pieces of brass stuck, but only the first round ejected after some coaxing it out. So, where do I go from here?
    Military Camp

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Did ALL cases come out looking like that, or just the two? Given my experiences with MNs, I wopuld suspect the chamber is fouled with hardened grease and God alone knows what else. I'd clean it very, very well with a chamber brush and solvent. When you think it is clean, clean it some more!

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    he used a caliper and is asking this
    He checked some shells and casings today.
    Live round was .328 at the neck.
    Spent round #1 was .335 at the neck.
    Sent round #2 was .334 at the neck.
    That's .007 difference. Is that enough to make the casing stick inside the rifle?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Did ALL cases come out looking like that, or just the two? Given my experiences with MNs, I wopuld suspect the chamber is fouled with hardened grease and God alone knows what else. I'd clean it very, very well with a chamber brush and solvent. When you think it is clean, clean it some more!

I agree, it sounds like a dirty chamber. Sticking problems usually show up after shooting lacquered ammo and switching to brass.

dcs12345

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Temple
    I use a drill and an old cleaning rod with a 12ga or 20ga brush to clean the chamber on my mosins. These rifles often has built-up gunk an this is the easiest and most effective way to clean them that I have found.

Top Bottom