Mosin Nagant M44

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by PWF3, Sep 23, 2008.

1. PWF3

PWF3 New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    I knew you Gunsmith-types would know this answer better than anyone -- With a Mosin Nagant M44 that shoots 7.62X54 ammo, will it also take a 7.62X39 shell? Is that practical for target shooting? Is that smart?

Also, what do you recommend for cleaning the bore for the corrossive military surplus?

Thanks for your info!

2. Porter

Porter Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    In answer to your first three questions, no.

3. Infamous

Infamous Member

Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    when i used to shoot corrosive ammo id put 3 parts water with 1 part windex.

shoot the gun till its scorching hot to the touch and pour the solution into the bore with a funnel. itll dissolve the salts. dont forget to clean the bolt face as well.

a mosin is excellent fun if you have money to spare. its loud.

4. Leper

Leper Active Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Be careful with ammo for that rifle. If you use some of the older stuff and you get into a no fire situation, give it 30 seconds or more before you try to open the bolt. Keep it pointed in a safe direction. I have a 44 and a 91 and once, so far, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. For whatever reason, I kept it on target for a little while and BAM. It was at least 15 seconds from the time I pulled the trigger until the round fired. Had I opened the bolt or moved my line of fire, it could have been deadly.

Do NOT use 39 ammo in a 54 rifle. The bullet will not be in the barrell properly and your gun may/will explode. 15mm is more than 9/16 of an inch shorter.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Be very careful of Milsurp ammo as well. Do not run ammo marked as "Machine Gun" ammo in the bolt-rifle. It's loaded a bit hotter. The Germans made it in 8mm, and I'm somewhat certain that the Russians did some as well.

7.62x54R and 7x62x39 are vastly different. Your chamber is sized for a 54mm (hence the 7.62x54) round. The AK47, SKS, etc. all use the shorter 39mm round.

Stay away from lacquered case ammo as well if you can. It tends to stick badly in the chambers, especially if you have a tight chamber to begin with.

6. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Machine gun ammo will be marked with a backwards 'E' at 9 o'clock on the headstamp. That's with the date code at 12 o'clock.

7. Porter

Porter Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    Is that something that all ammo manufactures from all countries do, or is it just on certain ammo?

8. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Every country, and often individual service branch has their own codes.

9. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There was very little higher pressure ammunition made in that caliber. Most machine guns used standard pressure rounds, the rounds with that particular headstamp are the only exception as far as I know.

10. Morgan

Morgan Member

Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    one other point of clarification, the 54 is 54R which means it has a rim. I can't begin to imagine you could even load 39 in the magazine well, I can't imagine it would feed.... hard to imagine, but bad all around if you managed to actually get it to line up with the firing pin, as stated.