• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My brother is contemplating a purchase of an inexpensive hunting rifle. I've looked at a few, but I have heard mixed things about most of them. I was reading reviews of some bargain hunting rifles in Guns and Ammo, and the 100 ATR came up. The reviewer said he was able to get some 3/4" groups out of the rifle with ammunition it liked, which I think is pretty good for a $350 rifle/scope combo. My real question is, does anyone have any input on this rifle? I've shot one in 30-06 and I thought it was a decent rifle, but at the time the rifle only had 10 rounds max through it. If anyone has one or can comment on their long-term experience I would greatly appreciate it.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd imagine it's better than anything in that price range. You could probably scope a Mil-spec gun for a budget shooter, but the scope might not last the longest.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That was another option. I would have a hard time finding a cheap enough rifle that could be scoped easily and was chambered in a common cartridge. An old 1903 A3 would be nice, but I wouldn't feel right sporterizing an icon of a rifle like that.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Check out the Stevens 200. Made by Savage, it is a great value. With handloads it gets touching holes with 150 gr Corloks. Took a 7 point with it last season, with 165 Sie game king in .308. I've been real pleased with mine. It was about 300.00.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Stevens did pique my interest. It's essentially a Savage without the Accutrigger as best as I can tell. It looks pretty good for the price. Another option is a Weatherby Vanguard with a synthetic stock. They are down to about $400 now (without scope of course), which is still in his price range I think. The Mossberg and the Stevens look like pretty good contenders though, the only downside to them is non-adjustable triggers, at least not adjustable easily by the user. The Weatherby and Savage both have adjustable triggers but they also cost more.

Major Woody, what is your opinion on the Stevens trigger? I'm guessing it is somewhere around 3.5-4lbs?

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Yes the Stevens is a model 110 with out the Accutriger. It is adjustable. Mine came in about 5lbs, but while I had the stock off, I adjusted it down to about 3. But as with any of these, a after market trigger will really make them shine.

Top Bottom