• ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys,
    I'm here in Corpus and I've been shooting my wife's 930 most times I shoot shotguns. Saturday I tried to unload the buckshot out of the 500 to take it to the trap range and the shells will not come out of the mag tube. I have to have the bolt closed and push a metal rod off the back of each shell in the tube to unload the tube. It works fine loading it straight into the action 1 at a time.
    It may be confusing to read about. Anyone good with fixing problems like this?
    It makes it a 1 shot home defense shotgun in my home. So the ar is my only reliable bed gun.
    Lynx Defense

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Shell stop has burr on it? Also I noticed when I had a 930 if I cycled some shells through it the shell stop would deform the rim of the shell not allowing it to feed right. No my mag tube spring didnt have crazy tension on it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would disassemble the gun and clean the affected area. Sounds like something may be stuck behind the shell holder.

I had an 870 that wouldn't feed right once. Turns out a shell was leaking the buffer material out causing the problem ( small white pellets about the size of grains of sand). I could see one of those getting wedged behind your shell release. It could even be a little piece of plastic or brass from a shell.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Which end are you shoving the metal rod down? Wouldn't want to detonate a primer. Wooden dowels are much safer.

Did the 500 used to work just fine? If so the mag spring probably went bad (had this happen on mine).

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Which end are you shoving the metal rod down? Wouldn't want to detonate a primer. Wooden dowels are much safer.

Did the 500 used to work just fine? If so the mag spring probably went bad (had this happen on mine).

Sounds like he is using the metal rod to push the shell release hook, not the actual shell.

I am guessing the shell release isn't releasing the next shell when the pump is racked. He is having to unhook the next shell manually.

It doesn't sound like a mag tube spring issue.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Sounds like he is using the metal rod to push the shell release hook, not the actual shell.

I am guessing the shell release isn't releasing the next shell when the pump is racked. He is having to unhook the next shell manually.

It doesn't sound like a mag tube spring issue.
    That's right. I have to push the metal claw that holds the shells in the mag tube out of the way. I don't know why it doesn't move out of the way when it is racked.

Ill clean it up later and try it again. Its been functioning fine for over 2 years.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When you clean it take it down to where you can get to the back of the claw. Take it out if possible. There may be some gunk behind it.

Let me look at mine and see what could be the issue.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Looking at my 500, make sure nothing is keeping the slide from coming all the way to the rear. The last 1/4" of rearward movement is when the shell holder is pushed out of the way. If you are not pulling the pump all the way back a new shell isn't released.

Another way to tell if it is restricted is my shell lifter drops down another almost 1/4" during that last bit of slide movement when the shell holder is moved. If yours isn't doing that you may have something restricting your pump movement.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's actually the feed ramp that actuates the claw. It should be very easy to spot a problem.

If something is behind it, it would make it pretty difficult to fully open the action. Another possibility is damage to the ramp itself so it isn't pushing the claw like it should.

Here you can see the light wear on the claw where the ramp presses it out of the way. That is about 20 years worth of wear, probably a little more so 2 years of normal wear should not cause the issue.
    zeryryhy.jpg

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    It's actually the feed ramp that actuates the claw. It should be very easy to spot a problem.

If something is behind it, it would make it pretty difficult to fully open the action. Another possibility is damage to the ramp itself so it isn't pushing the claw like it should.

Here you can see the light wear on the claw where the ramp presses it out of the way. That is about 20 years worth of wear, probably a little more so 2 years of normal wear should not cause the issue.
    zeryryhy.jpg
    I think you are misinformed on the shell elevator activating the claw that holds shells into the tube. It is the rail attached to the slide that moves a square tab on the claw into the receiver. My problem- the square tab on the claw does not go into the receiver when the slide is pulled back. Instead the tap on my claw slides to the top of the rail holding shells in the tube all the time. I can push the claw piece down while manipulating the slide and the tab goes behind the rail. However- the next time I rack the slide the tab goes back on top of the rail instead of behind it.
    You can see what I'm talking about if you remove your barrel and watch the claw as you pump your 500. There's a wider part and a thinner part of the rail. The tall part slides over the tab on your claw.

Now that I know what the problem is and I can't solve it- what's next? Is this something a smith can do?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Must be a difference between an old shotgun and new, cause this is how mine has always worked. I haven't looked at or taken apart any newer ones.

Not about being misinformed, I can see it with mine own eyes.

ontarget

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    sounds like trash behind the feeder...... mine did the same thing and after cleaning it, that fixed it....

Top Bottom