• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Purpose is home defense. What are the different charachteristics of each and which do you prefer/why?
    Capitol Armory ad

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I can tell you why I like my 1300 over Mossy 500. 1300 racks fast & smooth, safety is a better spot, action lock lever is a "rounded bulb" instead of flat piece of metal that sucks to use.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I can tell you why I like my 1300 over Mossy 500. 1300 racks fast & smooth, safety is a better spot, action lock lever is a "rounded bulb" instead of flat piece of metal that sucks to use.

+1

I have a 1300 bird gun. Love it.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    They all seem to be good guns, be it Winchester, Mossberg, Remington, Benelli.

Go with whichever you like best. Consider, fit, feel and the location of the safety and slide release.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I have the 590 tactical and I like it. I don't have a Winchester or Remington but I have no doubt both would please me (I am easy). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    New Moss 500 owner here / still making improvements but very happy with it. I also have a Rem. 1100 converted to tactical thats very good also.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    SWIM has a mossberg 500 20 ga. in pistol grip. i enjoy the handling, though i would prefer a semi montecarlo grip too keep some of that recoil from getting absorbed by the palm of my hand

BT1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    USA
    Don't know if you meant the Winchester model 12 or the 1200 Defender. Two different shotguns and both have been out of production for years. There is no Model 12 Defender.

I have a Winchester 1200 Defender that I got new in 1984 for $169. Simple to operate and extremely smooth action.

All that said, if exclusively for a behind the closet door shotgun, I'd get an older Wingmaster and put an 18" barrel on it.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I think they are all fine choices and like pistols are more personal preference than anything. We use the 870's in our dept. but I own a Moss 590A because of preference. The only must have for me is a shoulder stock. The "pistol grip" (only) on a self defense shotgun is simply too limiting for me. A shoulder stock wth a pistol grip is fine and does offer some advantages.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I never bought the shotgun - deployed instead. To add to the thread...what do y'all think about the Benelli Supernova? A bit more expensive than either Persuader or Defender...I hear it is worth it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pretty much everything is more expensive than the Mossberg. Mossberg tends to be a "value" brand. I don't have any experience with the Winchester, so no opinion there.

Seems like finding accessories for the Winchester would be a bit of a pain. Everything I see is for either the 500 or Remington 870.

Top Bottom