Hurley's Gold

Mossberg introduces the Shockwave in 20 gauge!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    This is about to get interesting guys. 16 days after Remington introduced their TAC 14 in 20 gauge, Mossberg has done the same with their 590 Shockwave.

I want a Shockwave. Now I just need to decide if I need one in 12 or 20 gauge. Perhaps I need both???

Joe
    I've got the 12ga and have an OpSol https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...590-maverick-88-polymer-black-736902383995.do mini-clip installed so that I can load the Aguila mini-shells. GREAT option for being able to load more rounds. Aguila doesn't make the mini-shells in 20ga yet (if they ever will), but if they do, I'll get a Shockwave in 20ga too.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    We used a .410 "snake charmer" in stainless to shoot Halibut before bringing them onboard in Alaska... one shot to the spine so they quit flopping, and yer safe.

A 220 Lb Halibut can toss you overboard (into the 34 degree sea water)

I never saw the point of anything besides 12ga and .410. Ammo availability sucks, and low recoil 12ga makes them pointless. Nostalgia notwithstanding.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I realized today that the 20 gauge makes huge sense.

That realization was on the born of the experience of shooting, for the first time, my impulse-buy Mossberg 12 gauge. I't cheap and well built. No regrets.

Shot with 3 buddies today:
    12 gauge light dove loads were tolerable.
    12 gauge heavy dove loads were hard to control.
    12 gauge full power slugs just plain hurt to shoot.
    Only 2 of the four of us wanted to move up to the 3" shells.
    12 gauge 3" magnum heavy #6 goose loads left both shooters (one was me) with bleeding right hands.

As a defensive load a light dove load 20 gauge seems a wise choice.

The "cool factor"of the little 14" scattergun is pretty high.
    With full-bore high power loads the 12 is just impractical.

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I realized today that the 20 gauge makes huge sense.

That realization was on the born of the experience of shooting, for the first time, my impulse-buy Mossberg 12 gauge. I't cheap and well built. No regrets.

Shot with 3 buddies today:
    12 gauge light dove loads were tolerable.
    12 gauge heavy dove loads were hard to control.
    12 gauge full power slugs just plain hurt to shoot.
    Only 2 of the four of us wanted to move up to the 3" shells.
    12 gauge 3" magnum heavy #6 goose loads left both shooters (one was me) with bleeding right hands.

The "cool factor"of the little 14" scattergun is pretty high.
    With full-bore high power loads the 12 is just impractical.
    Aguila Minishells in the 12gauge with the OpSol adapter in place. That's the ticket.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    12 ga mini shell shoots 4 pellets of #1 buck at 1200 fps.
    20 ga 2-3/4" shoots 9 pellets of #1 buck at 1200-1300 fps.

It may be cool to say you've got a 12 gauge, but the 20 whoops it's ass if you are shooting mini shells.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    See my post above. I'm not frail. I shot my .338 today and the Shockwave today. The recoil, from the hip, as intended, is just nasty.

I don't think .338 is a qualifier. I've shot them, and I've had 12y/o kids shooting .50 BMG and handling it just fine.

Not saying you're frail, just saying a better example would be 500 S&W or something.

Also,....yadda yadda tada birdshot for self defense durka durka.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX

Unless you're being attacked by doves, I would never recommend dove loads for defense... BB pellets at an absolute minimum...and only at extreme close range. As you move up in pellet size, the effective range increases for defense.

But yes, any pistol grip shotty is pretty brutal with full-house loads... I'd rather have a shoulder stock and full loads.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    12 ga mini shell shoots 4 pellets of #1 buck at 1200 fps.
    20 ga 2-3/4" shoots 9 pellets of #1 buck at 1200-1300 fps.

It may be cool to say you've got a 12 gauge, but the 20 whoops it's ass if you are shooting mini shells.
    If Whooping ass is the objective, switch to full size #1 buck, and have 16 pellets at 1200-1300 fps... 12 Ga wins again. I don't prefer what "sounds cool", I go by performance. So TBH, I don't plan on owning a shockwave... for that reason... maybe with a specific technique the recoil could be controlled, but unless I find myself needing to hide one in a tenchcoat it's just not practical.

There are plenty of options with 12ga... options are good

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    If Whooping ass is the objective, switch to full size #1 buck, and have 16 pellets at 1200-1300 fps... 12 Ga wins again. I don't prefer what "sounds cool", I go by performance.

There are plenty of options with 12ga... options are good
    That's why I asked if you could use regular shells with the Tac Sol clip in place.
    I don't care what sounds cool, or what anyone else uses.
    If options are good, then having one in 20 and 12 must be good, too!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...maybe with a specific technique the recoil could be controlled...
    The technique required doesn't seem like such a big deal.

If you find Clint's voice a little irritating (I'm sure someone does), you can skip to 3:30 and watch about three minutes of the video where he talks about proper technique then demonstrates using the 12ga, 2 3/4, 00 buck load.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I sawed off a double barrelled 12ga for my uncle years ago. 1/2" over on barrel length and 26.5 overall. The only way we found to fire it was hold it abt mid chest extended out and put the left hand on top of the barrels. Wasn't bad that way, even with 00 buck. He carried it laying on the dash of his PU when checking on road hunters.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The only way we found to fire it was hold it abt mid chest extended out and put the left hand on top of the barrels.
    Note that Clint advises controlling with the forward hand, too. He just makes a big deal out of how good an idea the front strap is, how important it is to keep the forward hand inside it, and how important it is to push the entire contraption aggressively forward.

He makes it look easy. Then again, he's Clint.

Personally, my take on this thing is that if I'm close enough to use the Shockwave then there's a high probability that I'm close enough for the bad guy to be grabbing at the firearm. At such close ranges, should I be using a firearm that absolutely requires I shove the gun as far out in front of me as possible? I dunno. I find it intriguing but I just don't know.

Top Bottom