• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lamski

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2020
    Round Rock
    This seems to be one of the cheapest brand name home defense shotguns around. Anyone have it? Is it reliable? What are some others that fall into this category for HD?
    Gun Zone Deals

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This seems to be one of the cheapest brand name home defense shotguns around. Anyone have it? Is it reliable?

I have owned several of them over the years, and still currently own one. They are not a "cheap" shotgun. They are inexpensive, and yes, there is a difference. Maverick is owned by Mossberg and is their economy version shotguns. The Maverick 88 is very similar to the Mossberg 500 with some minor differences.

I have had a couple in the past that got shot alot! I have never had an issue with any of those I owned, or still own.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yes. Had six at the Security Training School I taught at. Shotgun was a requirement for a security commission until several years ago and these would get 100-300 rounds a month through them for years. No issues other than front bead fell off of one after a few years. All 00 buckshot through them.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    A Mossberg .410 is what I learned to try to shoot dove with in the late 50s and early 60s. It was a bolt action. I wasn't very dangerous to the dove population but it wasn't the gun! :rolleyes: It worked fine. Nothing wrong with a Mossberg, in my opinon.
    That same thing was my very first gun. I got it for my 8th birthday.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    This seems to be one of the cheapest brand name home defense shotguns around. Anyone have it? Is it reliable? What are some others that fall into this category for HD?
    Nothing else is in its category IMHO. Its inexpensive but not cheap. It will outperform all other similar priced like type shotguns. It will outlive you.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I bought one 2 or 3 weeks ago at a local academy. $229 IIRC. They'll pop up here and there but you may have to ask one of the gunbar guys to call you when they arrive if you can't order online. I went with the defender since it holds 7.

jlevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2022
    At the risk of replying to an old thread, we have a Maverick 88 (18.5" version). It's got maybe 3 boxes of everything from bird shot to 00 buck through it. No issues and it seems well made. The one exception is I shoot left handed, and wish the action release button was forward of the trigger guard instead of behind it where the knuckle of my second finger can easily hit it by accident.

edit because I can't spell :)

Top Bottom