Mossberg or Remington?

Green Rebel

Nov 28, 2008
Oxford, MS USA
Looking to buy a new 12 gauge pump action shotgun for duck hunting and I have heard that Mossberg is the way to go. On the other hand, Remmington seems to be another considerable candidate. What do ya'll think?

mac79912

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Mar 4, 2008
I like the Mossberg because it is affordable.Are you looking for one with a 28" barrel?

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
Feb 23, 2008
San Antonio
I have never had a problem with my Mossberg 500. It takes up to a 3" magnum shell and I've taken everything from anything that crawls to anything that flies. I've even taken several hogs with slugs and it keeps ticking.

I've never owned a Remington 870, but I've shot several and there ain't a problem one with them. They've been the benchmark pump-action shotgun for over 50 years and you can't go wrong with that. Either will serve you well.

Jeff-Tex

Oct 27, 2008
Mesquite
I have a couple Mossbergs and shot a Remington 870 on Thanksgiving day. I prefer the action on the Mossy, but the 870 is a very solid gun and shot great.

ChicagoTex

Jul 24, 2008
Allen, TX
It's a trade-off between weight and pain.

Remington uses steel receivers on their 870 pump shotguns (which by the way are very affordable in "Express" trim - I own one personally) that make for a higher overall weight than the aluminum framed Mossbergs (my personal experience is with a couple 500s, 12 and 20 gauge), this means more to carry around in the marsh, but also more to absorb recoil (which can be pretty punishing, especially with 3"ers).

I'm not a big fan of pain, so I much prefer the 870.

Also, for whatever it's worth, of the three Remington 870s I've fired in my life (including my own which has been through MANY rounds of all sorts of ammo), I have never seen a failure. Both Mossy 500s I shot had jamming, ejection, and feeding problems. I did fire a Mossberg semi-auto of some sort (don't recall the model #) that was reliable though, so I don't know what the deal is with all that.

Machspass

Sep 29, 2008
I have a Mossberg 500 brand new in the box I would like to sell. Never been fired. Bought it at the October Austin gun show. (I still have the receipt) Has all the goodies: 28" barrel, pistol grip, etc. Email me if you are interested. Thanks.

Top Bottom