• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Green Rebel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Oxford, MS USA
    Looking to buy a new 12 gauge pump action shotgun for duck hunting and I have heard that Mossberg is the way to go. On the other hand, Remmington seems to be another considerable candidate. What do ya'll think?
    Texas SOT

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I like the Mossberg because it is affordable.Are you looking for one with a 28" barrel?

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have never had a problem with my Mossberg 500. It takes up to a 3" magnum shell and I've taken everything from anything that crawls to anything that flies. I've even taken several hogs with slugs and it keeps ticking.

I've never owned a Remington 870, but I've shot several and there ain't a problem one with them. They've been the benchmark pump-action shotgun for over 50 years and you can't go wrong with that. Either will serve you well.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I have a couple Mossbergs and shot a Remington 870 on Thanksgiving day. I prefer the action on the Mossy, but the 870 is a very solid gun and shot great.

ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    It's a trade-off between weight and pain.

Remington uses steel receivers on their 870 pump shotguns (which by the way are very affordable in "Express" trim - I own one personally) that make for a higher overall weight than the aluminum framed Mossbergs (my personal experience is with a couple 500s, 12 and 20 gauge), this means more to carry around in the marsh, but also more to absorb recoil (which can be pretty punishing, especially with 3"ers).

I'm not a big fan of pain, so I much prefer the 870.

Also, for whatever it's worth, of the three Remington 870s I've fired in my life (including my own which has been through MANY rounds of all sorts of ammo), I have never seen a failure. Both Mossy 500s I shot had jamming, ejection, and feeding problems. I did fire a Mossberg semi-auto of some sort (don't recall the model #) that was reliable though, so I don't know what the deal is with all that.

Machspass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    I have a Mossberg 500 brand new in the box I would like to sell. Never been fired. Bought it at the October Austin gun show. (I still have the receipt) Has all the goodies: 28" barrel, pistol grip, etc. Email me if you are interested. Thanks.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have a Mossberg 500 brand new in the box I would like to sell. Never been fired. Bought it at the October Austin gun show. (I still have the receipt) Has all the goodies: 28" barrel, pistol grip, etc. Email me if you are interested. Thanks.
    I've sent a couple PMs regarding your Mossberg.

Not sure if they are going through.

If its still available, email me directly at texascop2@yahoo.com

Thanks

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

:sign0101:

There is a classified forum which should be used for selling.

tlshark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I have been debating this same thing for quite a while. Except for home defense.

And after everything I have heard either one is fine.

So my criteria has changed. Whichever I find first is the one I will be getting.

Mossberg 590a1 or a Remington 870p

I am sure I will find one at somepoint

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I have been debating this same thing for quite a while. Except for home defense.

And after everything I have heard either one is fine.

So my criteria has changed. Whichever I find first is the one I will be getting.

Mossberg 590a1 or a Remington 870p

I am sure I will find one at somepoint

Someone does have a decent deal on an almost new Mossy in the classifieds. It's title includes another gun or two listed.

grayhawkdr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    DFW
    +1 for the Remington. I've seen them take years of abuse and still function flawlessly. I do own a mossberg also and it has been great, but then again it has never suffered abuse.

P380

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Both are fine guns and built like tanks. I grew up on a remi and then switched to a mossy later on. Both had bagged their share of birds. When I decided on one for home defense I had to go with the remi due to the safety. I prefer the safety on the trigger guard. It was a more natural transition for me. I always fumbled with the top thumb safety of the mossy. Both are great but it was a personal pref for me. I know some will say to leave the safety off but that is not an option for me..... just my .02.... Either will serve you well....

Top Bottom