Mossberg Shockwave: legal to open carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wonbyone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2017
    DFW
    Greetings fellow shooters. My first post and I have a question. In our state of Texas, would the Mossberg 590 Shockwave be legal to open carry?
    Best Regards.
    Hurley's Gold

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Its not a shotgun and its not a pistol and I am not sure what the carry laws are on a firearm

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Negative. It is not a shotgun or type of shotgun. It is a firearm.
    So we have pistols, rifles, shotguns and firearms as available flavors? It isn't a sub category of something else, but rather a category all its own?

I believe in Texas only rifles & shotguns can be open carried without a LTC. Pistols can only be with a LTC. So I am guessing Firearms not at all.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So we have pistols, rifles, shotguns and firearms as available flavors? It isn't a sub category of something else, but rather a category all its own?

I believe in Texas only rifles & shotguns can be open carried without a LTC. Pistols can only be with a LTC. So I am guessing Firearms not at all.
    :roflsmile:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Under HB 1819 from this past legislative session, a shockwave is not illegal in Texas since it is not required to be registered under the NFA

Texas does not generally regulate the carry of non-nfa items and non-handguns. Firearms other than handguns have no restriction on open or concealed carry. Unless a shockwave meets the definition of penal code 46.01 (5), the one can carry it however one wants.

Is it designed, made or adapted to be fired by one hand? If yes, then it is a handgun and a LTC is required and all those laws apply. If not, then carry however.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I know in the case of a AR that is configured as a firearm if you conceal it I believe it becomes an AOW

Top Bottom