• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    They were made for the sole purpose so they could raced in NASCAR. One of the rules was, the car had to be a production model available to the general public, and they had to make so many to be legal for use in NASCAR.

Ford did the same thing in 1969 and 1970 with the Boss 429 engines, offered in the Mustang, so they could sue that engine in NASCAR.
    What was the minimum? Something around 1900 or 2000 production cars?
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What was the minimum? Something around 1900 or 2000 production cars?

Back then, IIRC it was 500 made available to the general public in dealerships.

Ford offered the Boss 429 engine in the Mustang, but the racing teams that used them, were racing them in the Torino body.

Might be different now though.

ETA: found this information on the Plymouth Superbird, the other Mopar winged warrior car.

NASCAR's homologation requirement demanded that vehicles to be raced must be available to the general public and sold through dealerships in specific minimum numbers. For 1970, NASCAR raised the production requirement from 500 examples to one for every two manufacturer's dealers in the United States; in the case of Plymouth, that meant having to build 1,920 Superbirds. Due to increasing emissions regulations, combined with insurance spike for high performance cars and NASCAR's effective ban on the aero cars, 1970 was its only production year.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Since someone mentioned the SHELBY COBRA, I thought that some members might be interested in knowing that CARROLL SHELBY up until his death was still building COBRA ROADSTERS "to order" & titling them all as 1964 models.
    (The last price for a NEW '64 Cobra that I heard of was 150,000.oo down in advance & "no easy monthly payments".)

FWIW, ALL of the profits from the sale of each new COBRA was donated by Shelby to the AMERICAN HEART ASSN., as he had received a heart transplant some years before.

ONE of my many "errors of judgement" was NOT buying an original '64 with the 289 HP engine for 5,000.oo at Christmas of 1971, out of an estate sale. = The BLUE/black roadster had a little over 20,000 miles on it at that time.
    (I was dumb enough to think that the executor would "come down" on the price. - I was dead wrong, as it sold for cash the 2nd week.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    To All,

Since someone mentioned the SHELBY COBRA, I thought that some members might be interested in knowing that CARROLL SHELBY up until his death was still building COBRA ROADSTERS "to order" & titling them all as 1964 models.
    (The last price for a NEW '64 Cobra that I heard of was 150,000.oo down in advance & "no easy monthly payments".)

FWIW, ALL of the profits from the sale of each new COBRA was donated by Shelby to the AMERICAN HEART ASSN., as he had received a heart transplant some years before.

ONE of my many "errors of judgement" was NOT buying an original '64 with the 289 HP engine for 5,000.oo at Christmas of 1971, out of an estate sale. = The BLUE/black roadster had a little over 20,000 miles on it at that time.
    (I was dumb enough to think that the executor would "come down" on the price. - I was dead wrong, as it sold for cash the 2nd week.)

yours, satx

Not exactly correct. The are "continuation" cars. And they are not exactly as they were built in 1964. If I'm not mistaken, because of their status as continuation cars, they are exempt from current EPA and safety regulations, but are still titles as a new car.

Excerpt:

Since the late 1980s onwards, various companies have built what are known in the hobby as "Continuation Cars".

Shelby authorized continuations of the original AC-built Cobra series. Produced in Las Vegas, Nevada, these cars retain the general style and appearance of their original 1960s ancestors, but are fitted with modern amenities. The initial version for continuation was a 427 S/C model which was represented in the CSX4000 series. This was meant to continue where the last 427 S/C production left off, at approximately serial number CSX3360 in the 1960s.

The initial CSX4000 series cars were completed from the chassis built by McCluskey Ltd as well as other new parts and reconditioned Ford engines. Given the value of the vehicle many "extra" cars have appeared over the years, even some sharing the same chassis number. Gradually as the vintage parts supply ran low, newly constructed frames and body panels were obtained from a variety of suppliers. The production of chassis numbers CSX4001 to CSX4999 took roughly 20 years and many different business relationships to complete.

In 2009, CSX4999 was produced, concluding the 4000 series. Production has continued with the CSX6000 serial numbers, featuring "coil over" suspension.

The 289 FIA "leaf spring" race version of the car is reproduced as CSX7000, and the original "slab side" leaf spring street car is the CSX8000 series. The Daytona Coupe is reproduced as the CSX 9000 series.

To date most continuations are produced in fiberglass, with some ordering cars with aluminium or carbon-fibre bodywork.

In 2004, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Ford unveiled a concept for a modernized AC Cobra. The Ford Shelby Cobra Concept was a continuation of Ford's effort to bring back the retro sports cars that had been successful in the 1960s, including the Ford GT40 and the fifth generation Ford Mustang.

In 2014, Shelby American announced a limited edition production of 50 cars for the 50th anniversary of the original 427 Shelby Cobra

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Anther piece of trivia from that era was that ALL of the 427CI "dry sump" side-oiler engines were built by hand at HOLMAN-MOODY RACING's garage. = ONLY the bare block was built by FOMOCO & when NASCAR found that out, FOMOCO "got their hand slapped but good."

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Not exactly correct. The are "continuation" cars. And they are not exactly as they were built in 1964. If I'm not mistaken, because of their status as continuation cars, they are exempt from current EPA and safety regulations, but are still titles as a new car.

Excerpt:

Since the late 1980s onwards, various companies have built what are known in the hobby as "Continuation Cars".

Shelby authorized continuations of the original AC-built Cobra series. Produced in Las Vegas, Nevada, these cars retain the general style and appearance of their original 1960s ancestors, but are fitted with modern amenities. The initial version for continuation was a 427 S/C model which was represented in the CSX4000 series. This was meant to continue where the last 427 S/C production left off, at approximately serial number CSX3360 in the 1960s.

The initial CSX4000 series cars were completed from the chassis built by McCluskey Ltd as well as other new parts and reconditioned Ford engines. Given the value of the vehicle many "extra" cars have appeared over the years, even some sharing the same chassis number. Gradually as the vintage parts supply ran low, newly constructed frames and body panels were obtained from a variety of suppliers. The production of chassis numbers CSX4001 to CSX4999 took roughly 20 years and many different business relationships to complete.

In 2009, CSX4999 was produced, concluding the 4000 series. Production has continued with the CSX6000 serial numbers, featuring "coil over" suspension.

The 289 FIA "leaf spring" race version of the car is reproduced as CSX7000, and the original "slab side" leaf spring street car is the CSX8000 series. The Daytona Coupe is reproduced as the CSX 9000 series.

To date most continuations are produced in fiberglass, with some ordering cars with aluminium or carbon-fibre bodywork.

In 2004, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Ford unveiled a concept for a modernized AC Cobra. The Ford Shelby Cobra Concept was a continuation of Ford's effort to bring back the retro sports cars that had been successful in the 1960s, including the Ford GT40 and the fifth generation Ford Mustang.

In 2014, Shelby American announced a limited edition production of 50 cars for the 50th anniversary of the original 427 Shelby Cobra

Axxe55,

NOT CORRECT according to SHELBY's OWN personal/private
    correspondence with friends/family. = The "Heart Assn" cars were built one at a time by hand in MODESTO, CA in what had been previously a school warehouse.

FYI, Jack Johnson, who once worked for Shelby when the first cars were being built from The British-built AC "Ace" body & chassis, has a framed hand written/signed 5-page letter on his living room wall from Carroll Shelby that I believe to be ORIGINAL & correct, that talks about the "Heart Assn." Cobra roadsters.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

NOT CORRECT according to SHELBY's OWN personal/private
    correspondence with friends/family. = The "Heart Assn" cars were built one at a time by hand in MODESTO, CA in what had been previously a school warehouse.

FYI, Jack Johnson, who once worked for Shelby when the first cars were being built from The British-built AC "Ace" body & chassis, has a framed hand written/signed 5-page letter on his living room wall from Carroll Shelby that I believe to be ORIGINAL & correct, that talks about the "Heart Assn." Cobra roadsters.

yours, satx

Never mind then. I forgot you are more versed on the subject than myself. You probably spent time personally with Carroll Shelby as well.

Pardon me for stepping on your turf.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Never mind then. I forgot you are more versed on the subject than myself. You probably spent time personally with Carroll Shelby as well.

Pardon me for stepping on your turf.

Axxe55,

NOPE.- I just went to boarding school with Jack Johnson's nephew & ONCE shook Shelby's hand.
    (Shelby shook lots, probably thousands,
    of people's hands & "wouldn't know me from Adam's house cat".)

What I am NOW wondering is if there were "continuation cars" of various sorts (as you said) & (separately) the "Heart Assn." Cobras, that Shelby claimed were as nearly original in every respect as it was possible to make them.

ADDENDA: Clint Seymour, who was the BEST sports car mechanic that I've ever known (He worked on my Alfa Romero cars.) once told me a RICH OILMAN STORY about a "fellow who thought that he was smarter than he was". = Seems that a rich oilman from Tulsa INSISTED on having a RACE-READY 427 Daytona Coupe built & that he told everyone that he would get "licensed for the street" & DID buy it but neither the OK DMV or any other State's DMV would title/license it. - Clint said that he never heard whatever became of the "rich man's folly".

yours, satx

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Back then, IIRC it was 500 made available to the general public in dealerships.

Ford offered the Boss 429 engine in the Mustang, but the racing teams that used them, were racing them in the Torino body.

Might be different now though.

ETA: found this information on the Plymouth Superbird, the other Mopar winged warrior car.

NASCAR's homologation requirement demanded that vehicles to be raced must be available to the general public and sold through dealerships in specific minimum numbers. For 1970, NASCAR raised the production requirement from 500 examples to one for every two manufacturer's dealers in the United States; in the case of Plymouth, that meant having to build 1,920 Superbirds. Due to increasing emissions regulations, combined with insurance spike for high performance cars and NASCAR's effective ban on the aero cars, 1970 was its only production year.

1920. That is the number I was trying to remember. The Daytona was the same as the superbird, just under the Dodge badge. Made in 1971.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

ADDENDA: Clint Seymour, who was the BEST sports car mechanic that I've ever known (He worked on my Alfa Romero cars.) once told me a RICH OILMAN STORY about a "fellow who thought that he was smarter than he was". = Seems that a rich oilman from Tulsa INSISTED on having a RACE-READY 427 Daytona Coupe built & that he told everyone that he would get "licensed for the street" & DID buy it but neither the OK DMV or any other State's DMV would title/license it. - Clint said that he never heard whatever became of the "rich man's folly".

yours, satx

Well your mechanic was probably telling a whopper of a tall tale.

There were only six, (6) original Shelby Daytona Coupes ever built. Only one was actually built by Shelby and his racing team. The other five were built by Carrozzeria Gransport in Italy for Shelby.

All six were built for racing and were the stepping stone at the time of Shelby being involved with Ford to win the 24 Hours of Lemans, with development of the GT40 going on at the time.

Very doubtful that anyone at Shelby had time or the desire to build a Daytona Coupe for some rich oilman.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    1920. That is the number I was trying to remember. The Daytona was the same as the superbird, just under the Dodge badge. Made in 1971.

The Dodge Charger Daytona was a 1969, and they had to make 500 for them to be legal. 1970, Plymouth came out with the Superbird and they had to make at least 1920 for them to be able to legally race it in NASCAR, because the rules were changed for 1970. Both were one year deals! Both were "B" body platforms, just had a little different exterior sheetmetal.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    233F7A8F-CAEA-430F-9AA8-619229D648E5.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The Ford Model T was iconic in it's own way. Probably the more iconic part of the Model T was it's being mass produced on scale and method that had never been done before. This made the vehicle cheaper to produce, and the ability to produce more of them faster. To the tune of 15 million of them from 1908 to 1927.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The 1948 Tucker Torpedo. A one year only vehicle that caused huge problems in Detroit! This could have been a really great car if they had left Preston Tucker alone and just let him make his cars. It was way ahead o the times with an aluminum flat six engine, four wheel disc brakes, rear engine and transaxle, and four wheel independent suspension. Only fifty one of these iconic cars were ever made. Sad.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom