Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Another nice Cobra
    1606669935700.png

Lamborghini Countach --- Exotic, but Iconic? IDK
    1606670177786.png

1992 Dodge Viper V10
    1606670226921.png

Reliant Robin ----- 3 wheel car made in England ---- not Iconic!
    1606670312372.png

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    (At the time, I was "sharing living quarters with" a RN/Nurse Anesthetist name Linda Jo W_______________, who was beautiful, as "car crazy" as I was & made LOTS of $$$$$$$$.

Now THAT's Iconic! ----- A young man living with a babe that makes lots of money. :) :) :)

When I was at the USCG Air Station/base in San Diego 1978-1980, there was a young Airman living with THREE gals that all worked at Black Angus steakhouse. They each worked about 3-4 nights a week, pulling down $300-$600 a night in tips... in 1970s money. He rather enjoyed life... until he crashed his Kawasaki Z1 ride and hat a serious head injury that first left him with in a coma, then a TBI. He developed rage issues and was kicked out of the house. Sigh.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Axxe55; All,

And you are SURPRIZED that there are many OUTRIGHT FAKES out there in collector's cars??

It's similar to the FACT that more than 100X as many people CLAIM to have been SEALS than ever entered (much less graduated from) BUDS or US Army Rangers/SF "claimers", who have no idea where DALONEGA, GA is.

LOTS & LOTS of shameless LIARS out there!!

yours, satx

Never said I was surprised. Merely repeating what the man said about the cars. With almost fifty years in the automotive and heavy truck repair field, I have seen more than my fair share of fake cars, and fake people.
    This post is worthless without pics.

Long before the digital age. Long before that car was even worth what they are now. I didn't bother taking pictures of cars I worked on. In many ways, for me, it was just another car that I worked on.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Not sure if it's real, but this is supposed to be a 1933 Pierce Silver Arrow:

View attachment 235467
    View attachment 235468

bbbass,

BEAUTIFUL. - IF I remember correctly that body style was called a SPORTS SEDANETTE.

Fwiw, I've looked for years for a PIERCE ARROW that I could afford to buy & that was in at least "decent" condition.
    (Fyi, I made two trips "out of state" in the last about 10 years with the intention to buy a PIERCE ARROW car. - In both cases, the advertised car was NOT what it was supposed to be. = Photos DO lie, just as people do. = In one of those cases, I arrived to find out that the photos were of a DIFFERENT car & the one that the seller had had been WRECKED & most likely could NOT be restored. = After several phone calls & an over 600 mile one-way trip, I was NOT "a happy camper". - In the other case, the "seller" was trying to sell a car that his cousin actually owned & didn't want to sell. = = = => In both cases, what I said "under my breath" is UNPRINTABLE.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Having been in the automotive repair industry for many years and knowing lots of people, I have seen my fair share of vehicle scams over those years.

Have a friend that use to own a small auto repair shop in a small town, and he was huge Pontiac fanatic from way back. Lots of people would seek "Ronnie" out for information or help with their Pontiac's. I had bought a number of various Pontiac's from him myself over the years.

One day I was visiting him and picking up some parts I had bought from him, and he had a stunning 1970 GTO sitting inside the shop on the lift with the engine sitting on a stand being torn down.

A friend of his had bought the car out of state and paid a pretty premium price for it. He didn't even put 200 miles on the car before the engine blew! The thought was, the seller removed the engine and put a junker engine in the car with a fresh coat of engine paint, and then sold it. Engine numbers didn't match the VIN, and had the wrong engine codes as well. It was suppose to have been a "numbers matching" GTO.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Studebaker Commander
    1606686355884.png

1959 Eldorado
    1606686392439.png

1606686432755.png

1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am ---- my old radio shop bozz has one of these he kept since he was a teenager and is now fulfilling his dream to build it up to NASCAR standards. It's amazing to see what he's done but the cost must be staggering! New engine, oversize brakes and steering, new rear end, took out the (Unibody?) and replaced the frame from rear end forward. His is white. Maybe I steal some pics for those car nuts that might be interested.
    1606686584952.png

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Been a number of fake Superbirds and Daytonas found.
    Axxe55; All,

And you are SURPRIZED that there are many OUTRIGHT FAKES out there in collector's cars??

It's similar to the FACT that more than 100X as many people CLAIM to have been SEALS than ever entered (much less graduated from) BUDS or US Army Rangers/SF "claimers", who have no idea where DALONEGA, GA is.

LOTS & LOTS of shameless LIARS out there!!

yours, satx

I am a Chippendale dancer.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Studebaker Commander
    View attachment 235535

1959 Eldorado
    View attachment 235536
    View attachment 235537

1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am ---- my old radio shop bozz has one of these he kept since he was a teenager and is now fulfilling his dream to build it up to NASCAR standards. It's amazing to see what he's done but the cost must be staggering! New engine, oversize brakes and steering, new rear end, took out the (Unibody?) and replaced the frame from rear end forward. His is white. Maybe I steal some pics for those car nuts that might be interested.
    View attachment 235538

I have owned at least twenty five of the second generation Trans Ams and Formulas, from 1975 to 1981 models over the last thirty odd years!

Greatest two I owned were an almost matching pair of 1978 black and gold Trans Am, and Formula. The Trans Am was SE version. The Formula had the W72 400 engine with a Muncie for speed transmission, along with the WS6 Performance Package. The Trans Am was equipped with the L78 400 and a TH350 transmission. Both had the black velour interiors.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Studebaker Commander
    View attachment 235535

1959 Eldorado
    View attachment 235536
    View attachment 235537

View attachment 235538
    I was all set to inherit a beautiful Studebaker about forty or fifty years ago. VERY low miles, showroom. Belonged to an elderly relative.

Some person came along and scammed her out of it (her mental faculties had slipped). I was one disappointed person.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    To me, Iconic means that almost anyone, anywhere would be able to identify it. Like a 63 Corvette, a 55 T-bird, a 57 Chevy BelAir, a VW beetle, an early 60's Lincoln Continental convertible, an AlfaRomeo spyder, an early Mercedes Benz SL , those sort of cars. Now I love, i mean LOVE an original Ford GT40 MkII, but I seriously doubt that 90% of the population would know what it was. I can name the early Toyota Coronas and Celicas, and from the point of view of influencing the auto industry, they're icons, but find me a kid under 50 that could id a 67 Toyota Corona! I'll bet 98 out of 100 wouldn't know an original Honda Civic if it ran over their toes. The Jeep CJ, obviously an Icon! Early XKE, 911, and I'm torn over the Miata, yea or nay?

Top Bottom