Gunz are icky.
    0C41A139-12D7-4567-B503-3800723D81CF.jpeg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Axxe55,

For those of us who are over 70YY, the band might not be rock of any sort & likely in TX could well be THE TEXAS PLAYBOYS.
    (I'd guess that I've danced, since the 1960s, at least 100 miles to SAN ANTONIO ROSE & to FADED LOVE.)

Of course, I'm just an NETX hillbilly, who once patronized THE RIO PALM ISLE BALLROOM in Longview & was known to go to THE LOUISIANA HAYRIDE on dates.

yours, satx

Louisiana Hayride, picked up at night when the AM stations would skip long distances off the atmosphere. Good stuff.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

And I got it wrong. Obviously, you knew that. The 4-cylinders didn't come along until the next gen, starting in 1982.

The 1982 to 1992 models were the 3rd generation. And the four cylinder they used in the base Firebird was the last Pontiac engine made.

The 1967 to 1969 models offered an inline OHC six cylinder engine, that was pretty much a Chevrolet block with a Pontiac OHC head on it.

In 1970, they switched to a standard Chevrolet inline six cylinder engine. In 1976, or 1977 they dropped the Chevrolet inline six and started using the Buick V-6 engine in the base Firebirds.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well, to be fair, a ~90-hp 4-cyl. Iron Duke engine in a 3000 pound F-body is a pretty forgettable combination.

It was also the same engine used in the Fiero as well. They were incredibly stout engines as well. There are some racers having modified the head, added turbos and intercooling, fuel injection that have achieved well over 800 horsepower on the stock lower end and block.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It was also the same engine used in the Fiero as well. They were incredibly stout engines as well. There are some racers having modified the head, added turbos and intercooling, fuel injection that have achieved well over 800 horsepower on the stock lower end and block.

Axxe55,

Fyi, MANY an IRON DUKE has been "marinized" to pull a bait shrimper or another workboat. = NO tougher service than that, as the engine is under constant load.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

Fyi, MANY an IRON DUKE has been "marinized" to pull a bait shrimper or another workboat. = NO tougher service than that, as the engine is under constant load.

yours, satx

I have no idea, but with many other applications that were non-automotive, it's very possible since that engine was a very massed produced engine for GM.

In it's beginning from 1977 to 1981 were fitted with carburetors, and in 1982 with a TBI system to 1993 when it was phased out for the Chevrolet 2.2 Ecotec engine.

Marine applications are sort of unique in their own way. Pretty much any and every automotive engine at one time or another has been used in a marine application. Mercruiser used a LOT of various GM engines for their marine applications. Chrysler and Ford engines were very common for marine applications. Volvo, Saab, Mercedes, Nissan, Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Rolls Royce, and many, many more.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have no idea, but with many other applications that were non-automotive, it's very possible since that engine was a very massed produced engine for GM.

In it's beginning from 1977 to 1981 were fitted with carburetors, and in 1982 with a TBI system to 1993 when it was phased out for the Chevrolet 2.2 Ecotec engine.

Marine applications are sort of unique in their own way. Pretty much any and every automotive engine at one time or another has been used in a marine application. Mercruiser used a LOT of various GM engines for their marine applications. Chrysler and Ford engines were very common for marine applications. Volvo, Saab, Mercedes, Nissan, Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Rolls Royce, and many, many more.
    Many a Mopar 383 powered farm irrigation systems.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Axxe55,

GRANTED. Though the IRON DUKE is the only automotive engine (that I can think of) that is routinely used in commercial workboat applications W/O being built or rebuilt with "marine grade" internal parts.

IF you go down to the commercial fish docks on the TX coast, you will see any number of Iron Duke engines, which have had NOTHING done to them for marine applications, except being fitted with a flame arrestor for the carb, a marine reverse gear fitted to the engine & a "dry stack exhaust" installed.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe55,

GRANTED. Though the IRON DUKE is the only automotive engine (that I can think of) that is routinely used in commercial workboat applications W/O being built or rebuilt with "marine grade" internal parts.

IF you go down to the commercial fish docks on the TX coast, you will see any number of Iron Duke engines, which have had NOTHING done to them for marine applications, except being fitted with a flame arrestor for the carb, a marine reverse gear fitted to the engine & a "dry stack exhaust" installed.

yours, satx

In reality, there are for the most part, no internal mods done to most automotive engines for marine applications. Most of the modifications are safety related to the fuel, ignition and exhaust systems for use in an enclosed environment, or having to meet Coast Guard safety regulations for marine applications.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Edit for the Firebird posts.

I only really was interested in the 1st and 2nd Generation Firebirds, the Trans Ams and Formulas. When Pontiac went to the 3rd Generation in 1982, the only V-8 engines available were the GM Corporate Chevrolet engines.

1981, was the last year of a Pontiac V-8 for any Firebird. I also just wasn't a big fan of the new body style either.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    In reality, there are for the most part, no internal mods done to most automotive engines for marine applications. Most of the modifications are safety related to the fuel, ignition and exhaust systems for use in an enclosed environment, or having to meet Coast Guard safety regulations for marine applications.

For newer bowtie-based motors, many builders will make the tolerances slightly looser for marine duty, due to higher loads and rpm.

But a lot of folks just run passenger car crate motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    For newer bowtie-based motors, many builders will make the tolerances slightly looser for marine duty, due to higher loads and rpm.

But a lot of folks just run passenger car crate motors.

The vast majority of all the "marine" engines I have been into for rebuilds or repair, they pretty much had stock internals, with the exception of purpose built racing engines.

Even the Oldsmobile 455 that powered my jet boat I had many years ago, other than the aluminum intake and Holley four barrel, and the water-cooled exhaust manifolds was stock internally.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The 1955 Chevrolet could be considered an iconic car for Chevrolet on a couple of different levels.

It was Chevrolet's first successful V-8 engine, and the small block Chevrolet engine could also be considered iconic in it's own right.

Brand new styling for 1955 that also offered many new options that were not available before from Chevrolet, like power windows, air conditioning, power seats, power brakes and power steering.

1955.jpeg

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The vast majority of all the "marine" engines I have been into for rebuilds or repair, they pretty much had stock internals, with the exception of purpose built racing engines.

Even the Oldsmobile 455 that powered my jet boat I had many years ago, other than the aluminum intake and Holley four barrel, and the water-cooled exhaust manifolds was stock internally.

You’re probably right for 90% of the engines out here.

My experience is mostly with performance builders (I’m a mod on a performance boating forum ). Something about tight tolerances and oil sheer IIRC

Top Bottom