• vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    As some of you may know I'm a Nutrition Coach and this is one of my clients
    He started with me in Jan at 326 lbs
    Today he is at 280 and is down is fitting into clothes he hasn't worn in years
    I do have his permission to share this photo
    This is Jacob P
    Resized_Screenshot_20220603-144732_MyFitnessPal.jpeg
    Lynx Defense

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I bet the motivation runs both ways while you see the expected change in his positivity level. Good work @vmax! Keep going!!!
    There is a concept of internal vs external motivation for sure
    And it does give me satisfaction knowing I'm helping people get healthy and literally add years and quality to their lives
    They do the work..im just the guide.

Sometimes motivation from the outside is good.
    But what produces the best form of motivation is implying discipline.
    Once you master that..you will look back and get motivation internally from the results and that is far better

If you can master discipline...doing the thing that needs to be done..when it needs to be done..then you won't be dependent upon external motivation.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    In the before picture I can tell he has an athletic build, it's just hidden a bit. He is showing great progress in uncovering that build.

A few months ago i had an acquaintance tell me
    " I can tell you used to be really buff back in the day". He meant it as a compliment, but it kinda stung.

I'm only 40, sitting at 6'2" at 240lbs, and he is right. I used to be fit but I've let the muscle slide to fat.

I've been telling people for years, I'd be in great shape if i would just eat right. I can agree with your 80%-20% comment.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Some very basic advice to anyone who will listen.

If you are over 35 and have slowed down some and have developed a waistline you can do just some simple things to start making changes

1. Limit your sugar.. I'm not talking about spoons of table sugar in particular.. I'm talking about sugar in soft drinks, juices and most of the foods in the store. Stop or limit foods with added fructose especially.

2. Stop eating ultra processed foods. Basically most things you buy in shiny foil package at the gas station. Things with ingredients in them that you can't pronounce and don't know what they are.

3. Limit the foods you eat that spike insulin.. Ditch the biscuits for breakfast and eat eggs and bacon. In fact, eat 4-5 eggs a day.
    Eggs are fine , scrambled, poached , boiled or fried.. in butter or olive oil.. ditch all plant oils from your diet like Canola and corn oils

4. Eat carbs from vegetables and other complex carbs.. don't eat refined carbs..

5. Stay hydrated

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Came back here to share.

This thread has given me a little more motivation.

I joined a local gym a month ago and started eating much better. Talking with a coworker I started counting macro nutrients and doing meal prep for the week on Sundays. I've dropped a few pounds and have probably put on a pound or 2 of muscle.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Came back here to share.

This thread has given me a little more motivation.

I joined a local gym a month ago and started eating much better. Talking with a coworker I started counting macro nutrients and doing meal prep for the week on Sundays. I've dropped a few pounds and have probably put on a pound or 2 of muscle.

Wow.
    You just made my day man!
    Thanks for tell me that.
    Good for you

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Screenshot_20220723-112941_Instagram.jpg

More motivation! This is a 60 year old female client who had been with me for 3 months. Eating correctly and eliminating the things in her diet that were keeping the fat on her has made this dramatic change in just a few months

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    View attachment 334060

More motivation! This is a 60 year old female client who had been with me for 3 months. Eating correctly and eliminating the things in her diet that were keeping the fat on her has made this dramatic change in just a few months
    Can I ask what kind of calorie deficit are Jacob and Anita on?

Jacob lost over 6 months
    But Anita looks great. Like her arms are half the size after just 3?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This whole thread is great and inspirational.

I have one observation. IME, this...
    2. Stop eating ultra processed foods. Basically most things you buy in shiny foil package at the gas station. Things with ingredients in them that you can't pronounce and don't know what they are.
    ...and this...

3. Limit the foods you eat that spike insulin..
    ...are strongly correlated.

There's a particular beef and bean burrito commonly available at gas stations that I love. It's pretty much the definition of "ultra processed" but I still love it.

I don't eat them anymore, though.

I can consume mass quantities of sugar if I'm in a stupid mood. Everybody falls off the wagon from time to time and I won't feel bad about that. After all, even if I go to HEB, buy a whole birthday cake, and wolf it down along with a pint of ice cream, my blood sugar will fall back to a high-normal range in ~4 hours.

But those burritos? If I have one, my blood sugar spikes horrifically high, comes down very slow (I mean, it takes 8 to 12 hours to get back to merely "too high".), and then stays elevated for two days, minimum. My fasting blood glucose level typically stays at least 20% higher than normal for 3 or 4 days.

The devil is in those burritos. I advise everyone to stay far, far away.

Thanks for the short list of great principles, vmax.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think we cam all reach our goals for better health if we adhere to eating better most of the time and relax some of the restrictions occasionally and have "cheat" days. Personally, I haven't totally cut out some foods, just that I'm not eating them in the same quantities as I have in the past.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom