• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    Have any of y'all opened and used any of the products in a #10 can? My concern is that after opening it, it would be too much food to consume in a reasonable amount of time before going bad. (family of four)

Any thoughts or experience on this?

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Have any of y'all opened and used any of the products in a #10 can? My concern is that after opening it, it would be too much food to consume in a reasonable amount of time before going bad. (family of four)

If you've got a family of Nebraska linebackers, you could probably do a #10 can in a sitting, but otherwise probably not. So yes, you'll want to eat some and preserve the rest. If you have excellent food preservation facilities, you can have a single meal from a #10 can, then re-seal it in an oxygen-free environment and leave it for decades, but most people aren't that well-equipped.

I would look at opening a #10 as a commitment to finishing its contents without undue delay, which means you're going to have lasagna (or whatever it is) for dinner for a couple / three nights in a row. That way, you open the can, use what you need, protect what you didn't use with a simple method (like re-sealing the can, putting the contents in a ziploc bag, normal stuff like that) and it'll be fine for as long as it lasts, which isn't going to be very long. Also make sure you can tolerate that level of sodium if you have a condition which makes you sensitive to sodium intake, MH packs in the sodium like crazy.

Part of the importance of incorporating your preps into your daily lives is that you'll find out the exact answers to questions like this for your specific family and circumstances, and you'll find out that you need to have X or Y and you don't have enough Z, and etc, etc. It can be eye-opening!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If you’re fast about it. Understand this stuff is packaged in dry rooms with extremely low humidity.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    That shelf life is never retained once you open something outside of a controlled environment. A tin will provide a lot of meals for one person. My favorite was chilimac, granola milk and blueberries, beef stroganoff was good but tore me up, turkey tetrazzini is good, and the raspberry crumble is great.

I’m telling y’all right now...i hate the eggs. It took em a while to get them dialed in but I always hated the breakfast skillet and anything with egg. Too salty and nasty for me.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

For a family of four, it will easily be consumed before it goes bad after you open it.

I buy the 10#, then repackage into vacuum sealed bags, "meal sized" for camping. Then sharpie how much water the bag needs

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That shelf life is never retained once you open something outside of a controlled environment. A tin will provide a lot of meals for one person. My favorite was chilimac, granola milk and blueberries, beef stroganoff was good but tore me up, turkey tetrazzini is good, and the raspberry crumble is great.

I’m telling y’all right now...i hate the eggs. It took em a while to get them dialed in but I always hated the breakfast skillet and anything with egg. Too salty and nasty for me.
    I love the Breakfast Skillet, I add a tortilla and some picante sauce for breakfast tacos.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    This thread has my mindset in camping mode. I missed one day at work but have been working 14 days. I’m looking forward to my two days off coming up. I’m gonna get a few beers, hotdogs, and head to the back of my in-laws property and enjoy a camp cook. I should get some beans too.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This thread has my mindset in camping mode. I missed one day at work but have been working 14 days. I’m looking forward to my two days off coming up. I’m gonna get a few beers, hotdogs, and head to the back of my in-laws property and enjoy a camp cook. I should get some beans too.

Take a cast iron skillet with you. With that, and a Dutch oven, there ain't much that can't be cooked over a campfire. I have cooked some awesome meals over a campfire years ago.

Top Bottom