• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    I wonder why they leaked? I don't think I've ever kept anything that long, tho. I eat the things I have stored so everything stays rotated.

My wife has been buying these tuna and chicken pouches for awhile to keep in her office for quick lunches. They cost about a $1 each, are small, light, easy to carry and store, and have a three year "shelf life" (which would be fine longer I'm sure). Seems like a great way to get some protein. They have several flavors...

starkist.jpg
    Those are really good too. I've used them for lunches at the office and for camping.

yim11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Mountain House rations are far better than any C-Rations or MREs, or LRRPS I ever ate.

Since they are freeze dried, they don't break down.

The only way to screw them up is to not use boiling water and to let your hunger take over before they are fully re-hydrated.

The latest iteration from Mountain House is single serving packages at $4.82 each at Wal-Mart.

All I have tasted are good to go, and they don't constipate like MRE's.

Be well.

Damn...I bought MRE's cuz I wanted more selection than MH could offer, now I'm hesitant on the MRE's...

This thread got my attention for the single serve MH meals, ordered a few.

Thanks

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    At nearly $5 per person per meal, I'll just stick with canned and dried goods and rotated through them. If the world turns to crap for longer than the many years it takes for canned goods to go bad it won't be worth living in anyway.

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    There's no reason why you can't have a variety of different brands and preservation method items.

Get the stuff when you see good deals.

You just need to make sure you can safely keep up with the various shelf lives.

shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio
    Heat is not your friend and that's a problem in Texas. As hard as it might be, you need to store your food, even the long-term freeze-dried food, wheree you live...not out in an un-air conditioned garage.

The LDS cannery (Home Storage Center) has all the freeze-dried basics at the lowest prices. The San Antonio location is open Tuesday 11am to 7pm and Saturday 8am to 1pm. 210-520-1122. 6880 Alamo Downs Parkway SAN ANTONIO TEXAS 78238-4535 You don't have to be a member of the LDS church to purchase food there.

Or you can buy through their online store:
    http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...Id=715839595&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Store what you eat, eat what you store. The best way to do things is rotate though the items you store as part of your meal plans.

A family I know did this. He got laid off for a few months and they just didn't buy things to restock items they were using. He went 6 months just buying refrigerator stuff cutting his grocery bill to almost nothing with 6 kids. Once employed they started stocking up stuff again buying a bit extra every shoping trip or when things were on sale.

They purchased some things in bulk but most of their storage was using cans of stuff they needed every day and having extra on hand to last a while.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Heat is not your friend and that's a problem in Texas. As hard as it might be, you need to store your food, even the long-term freeze-dried food, wheree you live...not out in an un-air conditioned garage.

The LDS cannery (Home Storage Center) has all the freeze-dried basics at the lowest prices. The San Antonio location is open Tuesday 11am to 7pm and Saturday 8am to 1pm. 210-520-1122. 6880 Alamo Downs Parkway SAN ANTONIO TEXAS 78238-4535 You don't have to be a member of the LDS church to purchase food there.

Or you can buy through their online store:
    http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...Id=715839595&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

I've been there and bought stuff
    Cool place

Top Bottom