• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Shooting at a dog/yote or mountain lion with a handgun in a neighborhood is, shall we say, less than ideal. Most wont be hitting what they're aiming for. Most dont have the wherewithal to actually do the job properly cause it's very close in work. Most will be cleaning their shorts post incident as well.

You probably wont see the mountain lion attacking you either. If you do, its intentions probably arent an attack.
    Texas SOT

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    deemus,

Fwiw, we have a "resident queen" on our family farm near Talco, TX. = She often brings her kittens out to play on our pool dam early in the Spring mornings.

According to a TPWD biologist, "Unless there is a shortage of prey for food OR the female is 'driven away by human activity' most female cougars will not generally travel much beyond 5 miles of their place of birth. On the other hand, males have a large territory & may range over very large geographical areas."

ours, satx

A 5 mile radius is about 78 square miles....

I know of one out near Paradise in Wise County that is spotted from time to time.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

I know of one out near Paradise in Wise County that is spotted from time to time.

lonestardiver,

"Our personal queen" seems to be a REAL HOMEBODY, inasmuch as she is seen very frequently by our family members in the early mornings & late afternoons.
    (As long as my Uncle Wayne lived, she was in NO danger as he threatened to give anybody a "through thrashing" who molested HIS big cat. = Now, my "kid sister" & my niece, Tara, seem to have taken over that task.)

yours, satx

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My daughter has them on her place near the Red River. She sent me a pic of one less than 1 year old.

I reminded her it has parents.

I started to say, as I recalled, the trail camera photo taken at the deer feeder (mentioned above), was thought to have been a female. But it was so long ago, I had forgotten that detail. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some breeding population(s) hadn't taken up residence along those Texas/Oklahoma Red River counties.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

When I was growing up there, we saw big cats lots of times. Wasn’t uncommon for coon hunters to lose good dogs to cats. Of course that was more than 30 years ago.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I wonder how many family pets and/or kids have to be eaten before the liberals begin to advocate for open carry in their neighborhoods. I myself hate to see the pets attacked but the kids of liberals? Meh.

It could be in their living room eating their toddler and a liberal would still insist that having a gun won't make anything better.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting at a dog/yote or mountain lion with a handgun in a neighborhood is, shall we say, less than ideal. Most wont be hitting what they're aiming for. Most dont have the wherewithal to actually do the job properly cause it's very close in work. Most will be cleaning their shorts post incident as well.

You probably wont see the mountain lion attacking you either. If you do, its intentions probably arent an attack.
    I'd assume it'd go something like this. These are the top hunters in the nation. Bear blew their cool.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting. Normally the mountain lion is fairly reclusive. Have seen them in West Texas on remote land.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Interesting. Normally the mountain lion is fairly reclusive. Have seen them in West Texas on remote land.

oldag,

Once a female figures out that she is NOT being bothered, they often lose at least some of their fear of people. =The cat on our place doesn't even run away if she sees my sister/niece on the property.

NEVER FORGET that even though ADULTS are seldom in danger from a healthy mountain lion, CHILDREN ARE AT RISK if they are outside alone in lion country.
    Also a female with kittens WILL fight to the death IF she feels that her brood is in danger. =====> When I lived in rural WV, a "damn fool" from Wheeling came upon a litter of kittens & decided to take a kitten for a pet. -"Mama" came home & the moron ended up in the hospital for several days, as he was SEVERELY BITTEN & CLAWED for his FOOLISHNESS. - Imo, he was LUCKY to have survived her defense of her little one.
    (When our resident queen has kittens, we stay FAR AWAY & enjoy the view with binoculars.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF a cougar is taken into captivity at an EARLY age, they are "all too easy" to make into PETS. = When I was dating my first wife at TWU there was a lady in Denton County who was a LICENSED "wildlife rescue person".
    She had an "orphaned" cougar kitten that the mother wouldn't feed, so she raised the kitten on a bottle & thereafter the cat was often seen walking on a leash in Denton, going out to schools to participate in educational programs and/or lolling about on the tonneau cover of the lady's Buick Wildcat convertible, while her mistress shopped.
    (Needless to say, NOBODY bothered the lady's car!!!)

yours, satx

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    There are a few of both cats in Concho county and my wife keeps seeing them on her evening strolls. The owl was the trouble maker. I told her to look taller.

One of my old buds was a Park Ranger at Glacier National Park and he told this story about his early days there. He had hiked up to a lake to enjoy it before people showed up. On his way back he saw people farther down the trail waving at him. He thought , friendly people. When the trail broke out of the trees again the people were still waving at him. That was when he saw the bear and it was right there. He looked at the bear and the bear looked at him. He was thinking about the headline...new Ranger killed by bear. He didn't have any idea what to do so he just hollered BO at the bear and it ran away. People told him how they admired his bravery, but they had no idea how scared he was.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    oldag,

Once a female figures out that she is NOT being bothered, they often lose at least some of their fear of people. =The cat on our place doesn't even run away if she sees my sister/niece on the property.

NEVER FORGET that even though ADULTS are seldom in danger from a healthy mountain lion, CHILDREN ARE AT RISK if they are outside alone in lion country.
    Also a female with kittens WILL fight to the death IF she feels that her brood is in danger. =====> When I lived in rural WV, a "damn fool" from Wheeling came upon a litter of kittens & decided to take a kitten for a pet. -"Mama" came home & the moron ended up in the hospital for several days, as he was SEVERELY BITTEN & CLAWED for his FOOLISHNESS. - Imo, he was LUCKY to have survived her defense of her little one.
    (When our resident queen has kittens, we stay FAR AWAY & enjoy the view with binoculars.)

yours, satx

One of the morons in Vietnam picked up a tiger kitten and carried it around. I bunch of Army guys showed up and took the kitten. I'm not saying they scrubbed his hide off, but they made sure the kitten's scent was gone. Yeah, he still gets teased about it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Looks more like a mother trying to push him away from where he was. More than likely had cubs near by and wanted him gone. If it wanted to attack, it had plenty of chances.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom