• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    A couple of years ago, my younger son was jogging in a very rural setting near Jarrell, TX. He saw a cougar twice during his run. He felt like he was being stalked.
    Here's a recent Bobcat pic from the north end of Keller, TX. They're probably almost grown litter mates.
    Bobcats in Tarrant Co 11-20.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I don’t have any wildlife like that on my backyard camera, although I did have a couple of does pass through one night.

cabshank,

IF you lived in downtown San Antonio you WOULD have lots of wildlife on your cameras.

I lived less than 2 miles from the center of The Alamo City's business district & our neighborhood has coyotes, ringtails, possums, raccoons, foxes, bobcats, WT deer & as I said earlier, a "resident male cougar".
    (LUCKILY, so far NO feral hogs, though.)

Until she moved to BOERNE, my former neighbor, ALICIA, thought that she was feeding a group of feral cats from the lid of a 55 gallon size garbage can lid, that she was using for a "feeding station"..
    (Both Alicia & I are "cat feeders".)
    Then Donald G ____________ moved in across from Alicia's cottage & put up a "motion activated camera" for "nighttime security".
    ALL 3 of us were surprised to discover that the "feral cats" were 11 LARGE & "VERY well nourished" RACCOONS.
    (CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Carrolton had several few years back, they move around some. Richardson still has yotes too. Bobcats abound.

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    We have Cougars around here.
    The last time I saw one was about 6 years ago on my place.
    Heavily wooded with streams.
    It was late afternoon & I was walking in my back field & I saw it 50 yards from me.
    We both stopped & looked at each other a few seconds.
    I walked slowly back to my house about 75 yards & the Cougar went the opposite direction.

We have lots of rabbits, hogs, coyotes & deer.
    I would never shoot them unless my life was in serious danger.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Carrolton had several few years back, they move around some. Richardson still has yotes too. Bobcats abound.

My neighborhood in Garland has bobcats and yotes too. I've seen 2 in my front yard, and a bobcat walking on my neighbor's fence.

The yotes are regularly in my hood, and I've seen them near the local grocery store off Shiloh.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    aU
    I wonder how many family pets and/or kids have to be eaten before the liberals begin to advocate for open carry in their neighborhoods. I myself hate to see the pets attacked but the kids of liberals? Meh.

Aus Schwaben,

ImVho, COYOTES & LARGE/AGGRESSIVE COY-DOGS are more likely to be a SUBURBAN SAFETY PROBLEM to people than any BIG CAT is.

Fyi, I often "house-sit" for weeks/months at a time in north Travis County for my adopted daughter & for the lady (who is a dear & longtime friend of mine), who Noemi thinks of as "my REAL Mom".
    In those 2 zip-codes, after dark, it sounds like a choir of coyotes doing a concert every night..

Also, after a week or so of staying in 78750, the female grey fox, who lives under Anne's deck, starts coming up on the deck & obviously hopes that I will give her a snack.- She loves my homemade oatmeal/raison cookies & gingerbread.
    (So far the vixen has NOT been closer than 8-10 FEET from me. -She is about "half-tame", as Noemi has fed her "goodies" since she was about half-grown.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wow. The last time I seen one was from a trail came in the mountains of Kentucky. They are really spreading out now..and closer to the cities..

ellieevans,

OBVIOUSLY the big cats are "really spreading out", inasmuch as San Antonio, which is a city of about 1 1/3 million people, has a "resident male cougar", who evidently lives somewhere in the central business district.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I guess that's where we send the blue voters next year for trick-or-treating :roflsmile:

ellieevans,

Well given that The Alamo City's government is as much CONTROLLED by the DIMocRATS' machine as any city in the USA, the trick or treaters won't need to be imported.

IF we are LUCKY, perhaps the cat will eat our DIM-witted mayor & the equally CLUELESS county judge.
    (Otoh, as I'm a "cat lover", I would NOT want to make him ill from eating GARBAGE.)

Also, WELCOME ABOARD. - IMO, we need more ladies on this forum.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Death by cougar - county south of Fort Worth.

buskngt,

IF this is an actual attack by a HEALTHY cougar, it's the first one in many years in the "lower 48".

As a TX Master Naturalist, I know of one other case & that one was a female defending her kittens.

Yours, satx

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Is there a correspondence course for becoming a TX Master Naturalist?

Axxe55 wants to know.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Is there a correspondence course for becoming a TX Master Naturalist?

Axxe55 wants to know.

candcallen,

NOPE. = About 3 months of "sit-down" classes each week, LOTS of homework & what amounts to a period of "practice teaching", before you are "certified" & get your GREEN BADGE from TPWD.
    (IF you are a "FLEDGLING", i.e., a "student", who has completed the classwork & received your diploma, you wear a WHITE BADGE which says "PLEDGE", until you can successfully complete the FIELD PRACTICUM.)

BTW, our ALAMO AREA CHAPTER is the ORIGINATOR of ALL of the Master Naturalist classes, worldwide. = A group of retired/local to SATX professional folks, TA&MU staffers & several senior Game Wardens "dreamed up" the program/requirements about 28 years ago.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom