Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    A scoped Moisin should be a darn good hunting rifle, and there are damned few bargains in today's world. That Russki rifle looks like one of the best. I have never even had my hands on one and are "rifle poor" but if I had one I would quickle replace that stock with one more pleasing to my eye, that issue stock is as ugly as a mud fence daubed with cow patties !

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You probably want to make sure it shoots good first ... the Russians aren't well known for building an accurate rifle the first time, nevermind how many times that gun has been re-arsenaled and banged around on the slow boat over.

If it shoots inside a 3" circle, I'd call it good. If it's bigger than that, I'd look to have the crown re-cut, and look into accurizing it a bit.

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    I have a 91/30 that's a good shooter. I mounted a LER 2x scope with the S&K mount kit. It's great. Not a lot of cash outlay for a good hunting rig. The Sellier & Bellot soft point (180 gr.) would work well on deer. Good luck.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Mine has a really good stock and was well taken care of. I paid $75 for it. Really nice smooth bolt action and trigger adjustment rifling is really good. Ive only shot about 10 rounds through it. But, I havent done any target setup with yet but, tomorrow I will.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My Mosin is a great rifle, I have a Huber Concepts trigger in there and I've done a few other little things to it but even with the adjustable open sights it hits POA for hundreds of yards.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Mine has a really good stock and was well taken care of. I paid $75 for it. Really nice smooth bolt action and trigger adjustment rifling is really good. Ive only shot about 10 rounds through it. But, I havent done any target setup with yet but, tomorrow I will.

That's awesome, I wish I could find a really good condition M39 (Finnish Mosin-Nagant). I want, or should say need, a good shooting condition M91/30, M39, K31, K98, Mk. 4 Enfield, M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine ... before I die. If I can get some money coming I will add a series of Mausers in there too.

I would clean the gun very well, properly, get all the copper fouling out of it. Get some good accurate ammo, and a set of bags. Fire a few rounds out of it at nothing in particular to re-foul the barrel. Let the barrel cool, then take a series of aimed shots at a target at 100 yards. See what the gun can do. It should be able to do under 3 MOA, if it can't ... take it to a gunsmith and see what he can do for you.

Sporterization will result in me hunting you in the night with a suppressed .22 and an axe.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I've had one sitting in my safe for a while now. I don't know much about it other than it's a mosin nagant with a monte carlo stock. Guess I could get it out and play with it some. Thanks for the tips.

TXF15crewchief

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    College Station
    Mosin Nagant's can be surprisingly accurate if you do your part. The majority of them are good enough for gov't work (Eastern Block gov't work). If you can find one, I highly recommend a Finn M39 Mosin. Here's a read for you on at least one Mosin shooter:

Simo Hyh

Happy hunting!

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    The Mosins are accurate rifles and not only would do well, they are doing well for thousands of hunters every year thanks to a huge influx of cheap milsurp. I bought five in arsenal refinsihed "as new" condition and I think the highest price I paid was about 89 bucks. Gotta love the C&R license. I know guys who bought hundreds of of them. I plan on outfitting my K31 for tack driving hunting.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ive been pricing different rifles and I think I'd rather buy this $100 scope mount. Instead of paying $425 for a savage 270. When I already have a $75 good mosin. The round is big enough to take down deer and possibly bigger game?? Isnt the 7.62x54r called the 30.06 russian?

7.62x54R is roughly equivalent to the .30-06, but I've never heard it called that. There's a company that loads 150 grain soft point ammo that's been tested at 3000 FPS from a 91/30. I think I still have a stripper clip of 'em around here, but the recoil was horrible. You could actually hear the difference...

I'd recommend that you put a scout mount on it with a 4x handgun scope. That way you've done a "no bubba" modification - it's not sporterized and you can put it back to its wartime configuration in literally minutes. It's more than enough to take deer, and I'd take 200 grain soft points up against bear any day.

I'd recommend against using Russian-made soft point ammo for hunting, stick with Western-produced stuff. It's more expensive, but the "former" commies love to put steel jackets on bullets (they look like copper because they're copper plated), and the soft points with jackets like this can break up a bit on impact. You want a deer bullet to stay in one piece as much as possible.

7.62x54 pre-dates .30-06 by over a decade. It was adopted in 1891, and is still a caliber that is issued for front-line use.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well folks, the mosin is going back in the gun case. I cant see me spending money on it, when the safety is too dang hard to engage and disengage. Saftey is the number one rule in terms of guns in my book.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom