• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After getting my grocery and other chores done this week, I slipped out to see "The Legend Of Tarzan" at the Baytown theater. It was a good movie and I liked it! Can't comment on the 3D version as that costs $3 more.

Tarzan, now returned to his status as member of a wealthy British family, is summoned to correct a major conflict in the African Congo where the area is being plundered by European interests. He and his beautiful wife set out on a journey to what both consider their real home. Their travels are monitored by treacherous people who are working their own agendas.

The story is predictable as they battle the bad guys. The BG's prove to be even more slimy as their work in kidnapping the locals for the slave trade emerge. There is much killing with conventional weapons with a new twist being tossed in.......... folks are gobbled by big, toothy critters or torn apart by huge, muscular Gorillas! Yes, the Tarzan movie presents new vistas and interesting ways of departing this world! CHOMP!

The critters present some sphincter puckering scenes where the principle characters just barely avoid becoming a tasty snack. It was a whole new way of being scared.

The story is well known so we'll share a few things that make this movie special.

The scenery is spectacular/breath taking/awesome. Much of the movie is filmed in Gabon, West Africa about 1/2 of the way down the continent. The nation is located on the Equator which fosters lush, incredibly thick vegetation. There are no words to describe what we see as viewers. Many camera shots are pulled back to show the incredible terrain. You'll just need to see that.

I loved the costumes and it's certain to garner some awards for authenticity. The makers of this flick went all out to make the period clothing as correct as possible.

Trains, stations, boats, firearms and other technology all stuck closely to the correct period. There were Mausers, Schmidt-Rubin straight pull rifles, historically correct pistols and steam operated machinery all detailed to reflect the late 1880's period. They really did a good job of this and it was like being drawn back to that time by a visual time machine. The Swiss rifles were the oldest model and correct for the period.

Seeing Samuel L Jackson with hair was a trip!

Watching Tarzan and his African buddies zip through the jungle with and without swinging from vines was pretty amazing!

Some things that I didn't like:
    My teeth are not straight and pretty so I'm sensitive to that. There were many closeups showing characters with 700 (OK....maybe not), perfect, white, capped teeth. BS! One scene showed an African local, half naked, sporting a wild man hairdo and dozens of decorative body scars. She showed a big smile and the result was as described.........Oh, come on.

Margot Robbie, Tarzan's wife had the same set of chompers and some injections to plump her lower lip. It spoiled the otherwise correct period portrayal. That could have been easily corrected by not pulling in so closely on those teeth. Still, Mrs. Tarzan is a BABE!

Samuel L. Jackson carried a beautiful double rifle. The cartridges on his bandolier were about 4 inches long. In one scene, he throws that beautiful double rifle in the dirt and picks up an older model Schmidt- Rubin straight pull rifle instead. Bloody Hell!

At just under 2 hours, the movie was just right in length. There were some dream like flashbacks that were pretty sappy and I began to doze off. Still, the flick captured my interest and kept me hooked into the story.

I didn't want to see "The End" and was ready for more.

There was no profanity or sexual content. There was plenty of violence and many characters were chomped in gruesome fashion.

I gave the Tarzan movie a solid "A" rating. It's a good ride and a splendid way to spend a hot summer day. I recommend this flick 100%!

Flash
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I thought it was pretty good. Watched it at a double feature at a drive in with the Secret Life of Pets.

Pretty much agree with everything you said :)

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As you said Roger, the movie was shot in epic fashion. The plot was very predictable, but then it's more of a remake then an original. It was fun to watch so that's what counts I guess. I'm not sure if it's worth what most theaters charge these days, but I have wasted money on much worse.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I paid $5.50 and felt that I got my money's worth. Our new theater is very comfortable and the bathrooms are very close to the individual theater entrances. That's an important feature for old farts!

Flash

Top Bottom