• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bonnie and I teamed up to see "The Shallows" at the Cheap early matinee. The flick was just shy of 1 1/2 hours and featured beautiful Ocean scenery and the gorgeous Blake Lively with her tiny 2 piece swim suit. With the cast of a tiny handful of actors, it was a real showcase for Blake Lively's acting skills.

Her surfing buddy begged out at the last minute, so she snags a ride with a local to a secluded bay for some surfing. I was confused why a female surfer would plan to ride waves ALONE in a remote area without a ride back to civilization. Dumb, just plain dumb! Later as she rigs her gear, we see that the girl has ONE bottle of water for an afternoon of surfing. That's not smart, either!

She did meet some local surfers who were about ready to pack up and go home. Then, she was really alone.

Did I mention that was pretty dumb? I broke my left shoulder after coming off of a long board. Believe me, surfing alone is stupid.

She continues surfing alone and displays some real first class surfing skills. A question came to mind. When she arrived, the water was glassy smooth. She goes just offshore with her board and catches Hawaii sized waves. HMMMM....... (only possible in the movies).

After some really neat surfing, we sees a very large, floating object. It's a whale, dead, bloated and oozing blood. In the Ocean, that's bad mojo as sharks will detect that stench at extreme distance, so she paddles toward shore in a hurry. That's when the shark strikes. The Great White shark tears up her leg and she ends up on an outcropping of rock about 200 yards offshore. She's bleeding which keeps the shark attracted every time she tries to move. That attraction/attack is the basis for the rest of the flick.

There are seriously scary and tense moments to follow. but I won't give them up....snicker. The rest of the movie had lots of "pucker" moments. It sets you up and ZAP, comes another shock!

There were several things that were very enjoyable about this movie. The scenery was beautiful! The area where this was filmed are the stuff that dreams are made of!

Blake Lively was beautiful but after her ordeal, no attempt was made to make her look lovely. She was beaten to a pulp and she looked like it! It added a layer of credibility.

I have Master SCUBA Diver and Divemaster ratings, have training in dealing with sharks and have been diving many times with sharks as close as arms length. The movie was realistic in their portrayal of shark behavior. Sharks are not cunning hunters. They are eating machines and can detect blood from extreme distances. Your task is to not appear to be a tasty snack.

We used to carry "bump sticks" if the sharks came to check us out and got too cozy. A "bump" with the stick will make them look elsewhere for a snack ..........until blood gets into the water. Then all bets are off and they go into a feeding frenzy where they'll even attack their fellow shark buddies! It's not a good place for people to be.

There were lots of neat things to see and plenty of tension and shock for the viewer. Every time you get comfortable, something will happen!

There was not a single car chase, thug or drug to be seen!

There was ONE F bomb, no sexual content. There was a very positive personal message at the end. In all it was a splendid ride!

Bonnie gave "The Shallows" an A+. I gave the movie a solid "A".

This movie is worth the Bucks to see!

Flash
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wouldn't mind a couple of hours of Blake Lively in a bikini.

Yes, the lady is a real "looker!" She also has grit, determination and never quits. That's real attractive to me. In all, she is the kind of lady I'd like to be around. Of course, that's where reality sets in and "Why would she want an old goat like me?" enters the picture......... snicker!

Flash

Top Bottom