• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Hello all, moving into a new home next week. House is empty.. was thinking of building some shelves in the garage before the move.. maybe redo the pantry shelves. i dunno. The laundry room is HUGE and was thinking i might build shelves / store some food preps in there but the temp might fluctuate a bit. I have a week to do something so my question is.... If you were moving into a new house.. what would you do to Prep it for Preps.. ???
    Capitol Armory ad

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would do any wall painting that needs to be done and that is about all. Treating the garage floor is a good idea too Rick.

I prefer to get my big appliances and furniture in first and then lay out any extra storage.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Hello all, moving into a new home next week. House is empty.. was thinking of building some shelves in the garage before the move.. maybe redo the pantry shelves. i dunno. The laundry room is HUGE and was thinking i might build shelves / store some food preps in there but the temp might fluctuate a bit. I have a week to do something so my question is.... If you were moving into a new house.. what would you do to Prep it for Preps.. ???

Not to disagree with Rick's suggestion, but one thing I've found over the years and 4 houses/garages is that floor space is incredibly precious. The more shelving you have on the walls, and the less you have on the floor, the better.

Not sure what your budget is, but the wall track systems are one (pricey) option.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You should go to your neighbors on both sides and pee on their lawn to assert dominance.

+1 on the shelving suggestion.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Only show up in the evening. Be sure to bring large person sized bags into an out of the location. Be sure to work up a nice garden in the back, but only work at night (preferably in the rain) and wear a hat to be safe from the sun. When the door rings don't open it but shout through the door "Daywalker go away!" That should set just the right tone with your neighbors from the get go. Also plus +1 on the shelving, after any touchup painting.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Prepping for preps? You need shelving for food and a place to store water at the floor level. Are you bringing any preps from the old house?

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Not to disagree with Rick's suggestion, but one thing I've found over the years and 4 houses/garages is that floor space is incredibly precious. The more shelving you have on the walls, and the less you have on the floor, the better.

Not sure what your budget is, but the wall track systems are one (pricey) option.

Good point; but I've developed the shelving units set-up to hold such items as power washer, golf clubs, large shop vac, etc on the lowest level and still having shelving above. I agree that some floor space is valuable real estate; but the ease of moving the shelving units can make for excellent flexibility. On the walls that will stay open, some sort of serious mounting system should be incorporated, like your suggested track system or at least sturdy plywood as a solid backer so you're not always hunting studs. Overhead storage systems can be useful; but at the same time can be the first step to a hoarding problem! ;)

We were incredibly lucky to get oversized garage bays at our townhouse...one extra "half-bay" on one side, wall pushed back about 18" on the other. The new homes in the area are getting garages so small, you can't even open the vehicle doors :( IF I EVER build a house, careful attention will be paid to the design of the garage!!!

This site is addictive if you are into garages at all!!! Be careful!!!
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    All good ideas, We have been eating into our preps for the last few weeks so we are not bringing to much with us. Yes I will look into some shelves asap. The house just had a complete repaint

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Second the motion to coat the garage floor and/or laundry room if it's concrete, if for no other reason than to make clean up easier. I just did the DIY stuff from Home Depot 12 years ago...probably more options now.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Shelves are great, but they can also end up looking cluttered or trashy. Cabinets have shelves too, but doors to keep the mess hidden. You might consider a combination of the two depending on what you're storing where.

As for laundry room storage, keep in mind the temperature and humidity swings that will occur in that room before you decide what to keep there.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Good idea about the laundry room. Man I need to get a nice decorative cabinet for inside the house then. hmmm maybe like a mobile pantry. . .

Shelves are great, but they can also end up looking cluttered or trashy. Cabinets have shelves too, but doors to keep the mess hidden. You might consider a combination of the two depending on what you're storing where.

As for laundry room storage, keep in mind the temperature and humidity swings that will occur in that room before you decide what to keep there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yeah, the laundry gets too hot. It'll reach upwards to 80's with the dryer going. You need something that'll never get hotter then 75. 65-70 would be ideal. It also needs to be dry. Below 40% RH.

I'd consider any closets on the north side of the house. The coolest part.

Top Bottom