• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    A move to Texas may be in our near future. Much of the family has moved there and we may follow. Already spending a fair amount of time there -- enough for us to have obtained our TX Non-resident LTCs. Would have be in the Houston area, but given what I read recently about Harris County politics, I am leery of that County. Have my sights set a bit further north or west (i.e. Waller, Montgomery). Maybe Grimes. I am basically just looking at maps so far. Have little interest in finding myself in high tax, high spend, anti-2A political jurisdictions. Any information that folks here might have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Guns International

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    If you can stay out of Harris county. The insurance is stupid high. Montgomery co is about half the cost for both home and auto. So I agree with your assessment of staying north of Houston. If I could I would.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I live between San Antone and Austin, so all I can say is “Welcome, y’all can have that humidity.” Of course, folks in West Texas would say the same to me..LOL!

TJjerry

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2019
    Magnolia, tx
    Welcome to the forum:
    If having to locate in the "Houston area" I would also suggest Montgomery county. Magnolia has certainly grown and offers a wide variety of housing. Lots to do and having Houston at arms length is okay too. Vary right and friendly in Magnolia.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Welcome to the forum:
    If having to locate in the "Houston area" I would also suggest Montgomery county. Magnolia has certainly grown and offers a wide variety of housing. Lots to do and having Houston at arms length is okay too. Vary right and friendly in Magnolia.
    Magnolias infastructure is not keeping up with the housing boom.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    It kinda depends on what your needs are. What do you want to be close to? What are your needs? Employment considerations?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    A move to Texas may be in our near future.

What’s important to you?
    * Being within x hrs drive of family (realize 4-6hrs each way is a day trip here)?
    * Hunting opportunities (not a lot of public land)?
    * Good Tex-Mex/BBQ/German food?
    * Access to world-class medical centers?
    * Being able to sit on the porch and not end up in a bucket of ball soup in December?
    * Whatever else floats you’re boat...

That kind of input might be helpful in providing feedback to you.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Been to Hill Country once on business. It was very nice but I have to be closer to family and they are all in Houston. Thanks!

Have a daughter near Cypress. They are 5-10 minutes from Katy and Cypress. She likes it there due to lots of good places to eat and easy shopping.

Last edited:

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    It kinda depends on what your needs are. What do you want to be close to? What are your needs? Employment considerations?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Retired. We have flexibility. Children and Grandchildren are in Houston and more may follow. Mrs. Wilderness wants to be close so that limits just how far out of Houston we can be (I have a higher tolerance for driving to get someplace). As for me, in a perfect world I would have enough land to plink and shoot trap safely, without annoying neighbors. Worked in the belly of the beast (NYC) most of my adult life doing what I had to do to raise a family. Retired and cleared out of that area just in time before NY & NJ became the messes that they are now. Big cities have very little appeal to me.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Welcome to the forum:

Thanks, will look into Magnolia. It may sound odd, but the political landscape matters a lot to me. After living in the northeast and for two decades now resisting State and local government infringements on the 2A, I have no interest in any municipality or county dominated by gun control politicians who are always pushing ordinances and regulations designed to defeat Constitutional rights and then tax me to oblivion to support it all. I know Bloomberg has announced he is targeting TX. We are in the thick of it with him now up here in PA, winning so far, but narrowly. Take the Bloomberg threat seriously. Local politicians are getting very aggressive here now too, passing local laws in defiance of State Pre-emption laws. I know there are no guarantees for the future, but I don't want to plunk myself down in a TX town knowingly into a situation like that.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Taxes & crime rates are a big consideration as to where I have been looking. I defiantly don't want to be stuck shopping Dollar General or a gas station. Real don't want dinning out to be Sonic or Dairy Queen. I find this as a useful tool in where to look.
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas3.html

The ability to shoot on my own land is a pretty big deal for me. That can be a hard thing if all you neighbors have 5 acre horses or FFA stock animals. Personally I don't want peeps with horses for neighbors fenced or not.

Top Bottom