APOD Firearms

Moving to the Lake Whitney area soon....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    So where is the best range? My lot is out in the county, but, it is rather small, so a range would be good to start off with. Who has, or where is the best gunshop or gunshops? Are there any good gunsmiths in the area? What's the hunting in the area like? Not a fisherman, so that's out. Anything along the lines of good restaurants and shops and such. And, or, anything else ya'll think I should know about.
    Thanks in advance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Awesome, I'll have company.

1 range somewhat close but nothing next door. Chandlers near valley mills has been in a long court battle with a developer but after contacting Senator Birdwell(sp) Greg abbot they are starting to get a fair fight and even a free attorney. They have a VERY nice range, ESP after the thousands of dollars they have been forced to put in to it in an effort to bankrupt them.

Hunting really depends on the area you are in. Really varies all around the area. Several WMAs around the area.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gunshops:

My favorite is fungunz in Waco, also just opened a Cabela's there, Praco's is a pawn shop with descent selection but high prices. Several more that I can think of right now. Wildcat outdoors near whitney has a small selection of guns and ammo and very high prices.

As far as gunsmiths: there is an Old man named red, you might catch him at a gas station in whitney one morning. He is really good if you can get him but not really a "business". There are a couple places in Waco that do work but none I can really vouch for. Tend to try to do that stuff on my own.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Too bad you don't like fishing. Whitney is a top stripper and sand bass lake, and not to shabby for bass as well. I've not been there in a number of years, and I hear the lake is down quite a bit. Below the dam is supposed to be good duck hunting in the WMA parts, though I've never did that.

I did some dove hunting there some years ago around the upper end of the lake and it was pretty good, even a couple of weeks after opening day.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don't forget the catfish.

Sand bass aren't what they used to be since all the golden algae crap came through but still descent. Not like when I was a kid though and you could pull in two at a time every cast on a crappy jig.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Thanks. I'll look into those when I get there. I'm thinking I'll be there for quite some time so I'll be able to explore the area frequently.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Who, me?

I rode to Waco with the SO to see a movie. Then came home, had some hamburgers, and ground up some deer meat.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Who, me?

I rode to Waco with the SO to see a movie. Then came home, had some hamburgers, and ground up some deer meat.

Directed to Byrd666, he's lives in Midland and we get lots of topsoil from that direction. But you are lucky too!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've had to travel out there for work a few times. Not my favorite part of Texas but it seems those who have lived there most of their lives love it.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    It was nice seeing real dirt for a change. But, that humidity. That's gonna be somethin' to get used to agan.

Top Bottom