Texas SOT

Moving to TX - how long can I carry on UT-NR and WA-R CPL's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobsicle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    VA
    Moving to the Great State of Texas shortly. Currently hold a WA Resident CPL and a UT Non-resident CFP (although there's no difference for UT R vs NR once issued, they all look the same).

Both WA and UT are recognized in TX (WA unilaterally, UT reciprocally).

Based on the forum postings, average wait time on TX CHL is ~40 days. I don't want to be bouncing around a new town for the next month-and-a-half with just my dick in my pants, so I intend to carry as soon as I get here.

Question: how long could I carry in TX on either my WA or UT permits before having to obtain TX CHL?

Are there specific triggers that may put my ability to carry into question, such as obtaining my TX driver license (hence establishing residence), or is that a moot point? Another way to ask this would be, can a TX resident ​without a TX CHL​ carry on a UT permit?

Thanks much folks.
    Military Camp

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You can carry on WA until it expires (It is what I did. I've always maintained my Tx DL. DH is military. The addy on it and the WA permit never matched. It didn't matter, TX recognizes WA permit).

I wouldn't drag it out, getting your TxCHL. You can schedule soon as you can work it in your schedule. Or wait until the revised laws come into play after September. You have two options: 1. get it done now with the current 10hr course or 2. Take the course after September when it is a 10hr course in a 4-6hr package. The hitch, it might be bumpy as instructors are trying to make the transition to the new laws. No one is quite sure how that will go.

Those options are what you'll be considering.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Another option is once you get here, get an out of state CHL from Florida, AZ, or any of the other states. It's cheaper, easier, faster, less hassle, etc.

bobsicle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    VA
    Thanks for everyone's help. I've got a UT non-resident CFP. As long as I keep renewing it, is that sufficient to carry in TX, and for how long before I really "should" get TX CHL?

I'm more concerned about the practical implications under 411.205, requirement to notify peace officers when asked for ID, i.e. during a traffic stop. If I pull out my VA DL or a TX DL (once I have it), and a UT CFP, what's the likely response to that combination from the LEO? If my TX DL has an issue date of six weeks ago vs. 2 years, will it make a difference?

Overall, how common is it in TX to carry on out-of-state permits?

Here in VA we don't have to self-identify to LEO, so that issue has never come up for me. Thanks again.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Thanks for everyone's help. I've got a UT non-resident CFP. As long as I keep renewing it, is that sufficient to carry in TX, and for how long before I really "should" get TX CHL?

I'm more concerned about the practical implications under 411.205, requirement to notify peace officers when asked for ID, i.e. during a traffic stop. If I pull out my VA DL or a TX DL (once I have it), and a UT CFP, what's the likely response to that combination from the LEO? If my TX DL has an issue date of six weeks ago vs. 2 years, will it make a difference?

Here in VA we don't have to self-identify to LEO, so that issue has never come up for me. Thanks again.

Many people here on TGT and I would venture to guess, in TX, carry on out of state licenses. I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it is, but I haven't heard any problems from anyone yet.

Also, keep in mind, you do not have to have a CHL to carry your firearm in your vehicle in Texas, just keep it out of view.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    A lot of folks carry on non resident licenses from other states. Chl is an infringement and Texas takes it very seriously. I'll never get a Texas chl. If they outlaw other states licenses I'll carry without one.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

As said before, lots. The CHL's you already have will qualify for the training requirement for many out of state licenses.

Many of us recognize that Texas is going backwards in relation to the rest of the country in this regard. With the influx of democrat voters, it does not appear we will regain much momentum and make any great strides forward.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If it were me, I'd agree with do the best you can as Shorts said. Go ahead and get your other licenses updated to show your new address. Taking the course and getting the Texas CHL is a good idea, but not required.

I'd think it was a good idea to get all the addresses to match. I'm guessing there is language out there that says you have to notify the state if you move etc.

jimtexas68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Deer Park, Tx
    You're legal and there is no rush, but when you get down here and settled in I would take the Texas CHL class just to make sure I'm up to speed on the differences between state law. Welcome to Texas!!!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom