Moving to TX

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by rinoray, May 28, 2009.

1. rinoray

rinoray New Member

May 28, 2009
    Going to be moving to McAlen area for a one year (possibly longer) work project. What and or where can I find the TX regs about bringing my pistol with me, carrying it in my car, keeping it at my home etc... I go to range a couple of times a month and want to keep that going. I don't have a CCL it's just my practice/defense pistol.
    Also can you guys recommend an indoor or outdoor range in that area.
    Any area I need to stay away from in McAllen?

Lived out in west TX when I was growing up, first time back in a while.

Thanks
    TN to TX newbie

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know nothing about McAlen but I do know that you can find Texas Cary laws at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ on the left hand side there are links to the entire TX law book is in there.

3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

Welcome to Texas, but get ready for HOT!

4. Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Howdy and welcome to Texas! I spent a small vacation over in West Tennessee for about 10 years myself, having moved back to Texas late in 1998.

I'm not familiar with the McAllen area, but expect you'll be pretty satisfied with the carry regs here related to home defense, carrying in your vehicle, and transportation between home and the range. If you're looking info on getting a Texas CHL, which you could do as an out-of-state resident if you're maintaining your out of state residence in TN while working the project in Texas, you might also check out TexasCHLforum.com, in addition to the main DPS site that BC listed above.

5. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Welcome aboard

Not sure what you do for work or if you were to get a CHL if your employer would let you carry at work (if you decide to tell them), but McAllen might not be the best place to leave a gun in a vehicle.

6. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    McAllen?

How good is your Spanish?

- brickboy240

7. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Welcome back to TX!!! McAllen? Thats a pretty scary area lately...almost like living in Mexico. Bringing your gun is a good idea.

But hey, a bad part of Texas is as good as the good parts of most other states!

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: Seee habla espanyole' :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. rinoray

rinoray New Member

May 28, 2009
    Thanks to all for advise & replies!
    Nothing like a little Rosetta Stone spanish style for my long drive. As far as tough spots Cambden-NJ, Memphis-TN, Miami-FL, I think were eye openers for me, However, appreciate the "be wary" words - I never sit easy and think all new locations I may go to will be songs around the campfire singing kumbyah . My earlier time in TX was in Odessa & El Paso, so a little spanish was always handy:texas:.
    I'll have to ck with company about CC.

How far to a decent range in the South TX tip?

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX