• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rinoray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Going to be moving to McAlen area for a one year (possibly longer) work project. What and or where can I find the TX regs about bringing my pistol with me, carrying it in my car, keeping it at my home etc... I go to range a couple of times a month and want to keep that going. I don't have a CCL it's just my practice/defense pistol.
    Also can you guys recommend an indoor or outdoor range in that area.
    Any area I need to stay away from in McAllen?

Lived out in west TX when I was growing up, first time back in a while.

Thanks
    TN to TX newbie
    ARJ Defense ad

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Howdy and welcome to Texas! I spent a small vacation over in West Tennessee for about 10 years myself, having moved back to Texas late in 1998.

I'm not familiar with the McAllen area, but expect you'll be pretty satisfied with the carry regs here related to home defense, carrying in your vehicle, and transportation between home and the range. If you're looking info on getting a Texas CHL, which you could do as an out-of-state resident if you're maintaining your out of state residence in TN while working the project in Texas, you might also check out TexasCHLforum.com, in addition to the main DPS site that BC listed above.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Welcome aboard

Not sure what you do for work or if you were to get a CHL if your employer would let you carry at work (if you decide to tell them), but McAllen might not be the best place to leave a gun in a vehicle.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Welcome back to TX!!! McAllen? Thats a pretty scary area lately...almost like living in Mexico. Bringing your gun is a good idea.

But hey, a bad part of Texas is as good as the good parts of most other states!

rinoray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Thanks to all for advise & replies!
    Nothing like a little Rosetta Stone spanish style for my long drive. As far as tough spots Cambden-NJ, Memphis-TN, Miami-FL, I think were eye openers for me, However, appreciate the "be wary" words - I never sit easy and think all new locations I may go to will be songs around the campfire singing kumbyah . My earlier time in TX was in Odessa & El Paso, so a little spanish was always handy.
    I'll have to ck with company about CC.

How far to a decent range in the South TX tip?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas weapons laws;

[url]http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm[/URL]

Welcome and be sure to stop here;

texas_sign.jpg

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    McAllen has some of the finest best looking hispanic women I have ever seen. South Texas is flooded with law enforcement now so be on the up and up about what you do.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Welcome back to TX!!! McAllen? Thats a pretty scary area lately...almost like living in Mexico. Bringing your gun is a good idea.

But hey, a bad part of Texas is as good as the good parts of most other states!

Nah, its not that bad. The thugs/drug dealers in McAllen and Laredo have been robbing/killing each other. The media has hyped everything up. Now I can't vouch once you cross into the darkside of Mexico. In fact I know for sure there will be trouble once you cross. So its not even worth it for that $5.00 Gallon of Tequilla in a nice wooden barrel.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    You'll love Texas, gun laws are pretty friendly ... current law says you can carry a gun concealed in your vehicle without a CHL, say a handgun in your glovebox or center console ... to carry on your person, you do need a CHL, not hard to get but takes forever to actually get the permit because so many folks are signing up in advance of Obama going door to door to pick up your weapons ...

rinoray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    TXInvestigator, that sign is awesome.
    +2
    I've got a lot of loose ends to wrap up here - looking forward to it.
    I don't think I'll venture south of the border, sounds kinda dicey, plus I like the TN whiskey Mr Daniels makes, me and tequila have had too many bad episodes ;)
    Great feedback on firearms and thoughts on McAllen

How far is it to good indoor/outdoor range?

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    You say you aren't planning on venturing south of the border, but just in case, worth mentioning is the fact that you can't take anything even firearm-related across the border. Even a round of ammo will cause problems for you. So if you do end up changing your mind, leave the iron at home.

Top Bottom