Join TexasGunTalk

Mr. Murphy is alive and doing fine.

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by busykngt, Aug 20, 2018.

1. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    TxDPS & Murphy’s Law teamed up to help me out on my LTC renewal.

Got a Renewal letter dated Aug. 6th - so got online that evening and renewed. Today (the 20th) got a ‘form letter’ from DPS saying my Handgun Proficiency Class form was out of date and that I’d have to submit a current one.

That’s funny.... didn’t think you had to take a “refresher” course in order to renew. So I gave DPS a call, and the lady looked up my record (had to give her my D/L number - not my LTC number - which I thought was interesting).

Anyway, she spotted whatever the problem was and sent a message over to a different department, telling them no certificate of training was needed for my renewal application. Hopefully this fixed whatever the problem was.

While I had her on the phone, she apparently took care of my Zip Code number change also. I explained the Post Office had assigned a new number to us and the online renewal application form didn’t recognize or acknowledge that it was a valid Zip Code for Texas. So she was somehow able to make that change also.

She told me to expect a “three to five day delay” due to the training cert mixup. Apparently there’s a way to track the renewal progress online (which I wasn’t aware of).

ZX9RCAM and deemus like this.
  2. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Sounds like you got a knowledgeable and proficient lady.

3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    We'll know for sure in "three to five days".

Southpaw likes this.
  4. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Be sure to keep us informed!

5. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Both of your comments are spot on. The lady did *seem* knowledgeable. And yep, thought I’d get on their website in “3 to 5 days” and see if I can detect any movement or a change in status from their tracking website.

It’s like they were treating it as a “new” application, rather than a renewal. Even though I specifically waited until they had sent the renewal letter to me. All I can come up with is, ‘ole man Murphy was on the job and apparently working overtime in my case!

I’ll post any follow-up that’s worthy. Mainly just wanted to let folks know that even “renewals” can get fouled up if some clerk is having a bad hair day!

6. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

May 2, 2015
    Just checked mine. Waiting on background check. Everything else is okay.

7. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Interesting this post resurfaced today!

I just got off the phone with them this afternoon. Mine is still hosed. Kept waiting for the ‘online status’ to change and it never has. So today, I called them and they showed to be waiting on fingerprints!

What I think happened is some inexperienced clerk got hold of my renewal application and treated it as a ‘new’ license application.

Today, the girl on the phone said she’s straightened it out. (Yeah, right.... where have I heard that before?). She sent the license processor a note to simply request the fingerprints again from their files (or wherever they keep those records).

I told her they were originally sent electronically and I didn’t have any problem with them before. She said what she did should straighten things out but to give it 24 hours. So, come Tuesday (Monday’s a holiday), if things aren’t straightened out, I’m going from ‘polite’ to asking to speak with a supervisor!

8. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Well, maybe the next call won’t be necessary. Just checked today Sunday (09/02). The good news is, the ‘online status’ has changed. The second item [fingerprints] used to be highlighted in pink with the note saying they needed to be submitted.

So that’s two separate items: the currently dated class training certificate and the submission of fingerprints that have been dropped, now. I assume the refreshed “background check” is a standard procedure for a license RENEWAL (maybe).
    27082afc6c10af6916e92f806c99e0f3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    jordanmills likes this.
  9. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Cautiously optimistic! Today’s (Friday, 09/07/18) status appears to show continued progress in the LTC renewal process. So MAYBE things have truly {finally} gotten straightened out.
    4b67c1a2d929e9f6943c07c1df1612d0.jpg Maybe I should hold off on saying this until I’ve actually got the plastic in hand, but I can’t resist: “Up Yours, Mr. Murphy”!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  10. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Last LTC renewal status update. Renewal took five* weeks. Renewed online, the evening of 10 August and license received in today’s mail, 13 September. And they did get the new Zip Code on the license. Good until 2024.
    * corrected dates
    ae8599d818a624485faecd3b1fd49b1d.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    SQLGeek and Dad_Roman like this.