• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    So, I was out at Best of the West this morning to take the new (and by new I mean new to my safe) Marlin 1894 made in 1981. I bought a box of 240g Winchester "Deer and Black Bear" JSP.

So there I was, loading and shucking away happy as a clam when I noticed this abomination halfway through the box...

photo6_zps53866196.jpg

photo7_zps02ad2efa.jpg

Luckily, I visually inspect all of the rounds that I pack into my firearms. In fact, my fingers caught the aberration even before my eyes focused on it. Mmmm, mmm, mmm - don't really want to think about what may have happened if I tried to chamber that bad boy.

d2924860-44b6-4d32-b813-5683b41fc82d_zps2f7f05d3.jpg

Hey Winchester if y'all are listening. Ya may want to keep an eye on QC.

On a side note, I bet y'all got pulled in by the title of this post... ya dirty birdies!
    Capitol Armory ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have seen worse from Winchester premium. Somewhere around here I have a thread from some .380 pdx1 ammo I bought and one case was split all the way down so far that powder was exposed.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I worked in the Ammo industry at one time and I can assure you that is difficult to do. They do ammo in runs just like painting cars at the factory. If its Thurs the second week of the mo then it must be paint them green day and in that you won't find any yellow ones. Much the same for ammo. What I guess is that the rd may have been from another run and somehow got knocked on the floor and someone picked it up or could have got stuck in the line somewhere and someone pulled and stuck it in the box. You might want to contact Win and just let them know so they can tighten up procedures. We had LOTS of meetings to insure safety and that things like this did not happen. Someone should have been instructed to turn the rd in to a supervisor, rather than put it back in the line...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I expect all manufacturers to screw up from time to time. Here's one I pulled from a box of .221 Fireball by Remington:

BadAmmo.jpg

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    The cases look to be the same size, to me. Just a case of severe bullet set-back. I had a box of Remington 9mm mega pack (250 rounds) where about 6 or so were set back that badly or more, with another few that were set back just a bit. I notified Remington with the lot #'s, purchase location/method/etc & descriptions (I don't do pics). They tried contacting me a few times. [I don't let let manufacturers know about something like that out of any expectations that they'll "give me something."]

Yes, always good to inspect all ammunition before loading.--PPT

It's actually way out of spec. Looks like the case was trimmed incorrectly.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Am I the only one that thinks that would have chambered?
    OAL looks about right, and no diameter bulge?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Am I the only one that thinks that would have chambered?

Depends on the chamber. Most chambers have a step at the end of the case that wouldn't allow room for the bullet and case to clear together. The diameter would be too big. If the firearm has a generous chamber or if the crimping press crushed the combo down to a smaller diameter it may go.

Good eye Pilgrim.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What gets me is that many people think all factory rounds are perfect and won't touch a reload with a ten foot pole.

Some people don't realize how often this type of thing happens and gets sent out the door.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I expect all manufacturers to screw up from time to time. Here's one I pulled from a box of .221 Fireball by Remington:

BadAmmo.jpg

Looks like a failed crimp. Do you think they tried to roll-crimp and ended up bulging the case neck or did something bad happen during seating?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Looks like a failed crimp. Do you think they tried to roll-crimp and ended up bulging the case neck or did something bad happen during seating?

My first guess would be that the case wasn't trimmed properly if it was just one (similiar to your round). The crimp on the seating die bulged the case. Ask me how I know what that looks like. It could also be that the seating die wasn't set properly and the factory caught the other rounds that this happened to.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I never did figure it out. I can think of several ways I could screw up a reload to produce this result (case too long, wrong kind of crimper, slamming into the die to aggressively, etc.) but since I know nothing of the way the automated machinery works at a major manufacturer, I couldn't hazard any reasonable guess about the actual cause of this particular problem.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom