• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Good idea or bad? I am currently running McAfee Total Protection on my desk top plus a trial of Malwarebyes Premium. I have not had any problems doing so and am considering renewing the McAfee and purchasing the Malwarebytes. Questions:

1. Do I really gain anything by having both?

2. If no, which do you think offers more total protection?

I do like how Malwarebytes doesn't hog resources the way the McAfee does.

ETA: Sure wish I could edit the typo in the title
    Guns International

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm running Norton and Malwarebytes with no problems. You can run an anti virus and an anti malware program at the same time, but not two anti virus programs at the same time. I am using the free version of Malwarebytes. The difference between the free and the paid version is the free version doesn't run in real time. You have to manually scan it. I did a two week trial of the paid version, but opted not to buy it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've gotten two calls this week from Windows techs informing me that I had a virus, one just an hour ago.
    I was having fun with him, then I guess he got frustrated, because he hung up on me, lol.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I'm running Norton and Malwarebytes with no problems. You can run an anti virus and an anti malware program at the same time, but not two anti virus programs at the same time. I am using the free version of Malwarebytes. The difference between the free and the paid version is the free version doesn't run in real time. You have to manually scan it. I did a two week trial of the paid version, but opted not to buy it.

Same here, only with McAfee.

Good idea or bad? I am currently running McAfee Total Protection on my desk top plus a trial of Malwarebyes Premium. I have not had any problems doing so and am considering renewing the McAfee and purchasing the Malwarebytes. Questions:

1. Do I really gain anything by having both?

2. If no, which do you think offers more total protection?

I do like how Malwarebytes doesn't hog resources the way the McAfee does.

ETA: Sure wish I could edit the typo in the title

Malwarebytes isn't an anti virus program

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth

Yes, the freeware Malwarebytes and freeware SuperAntiSpyWare are both excellent things to run occasionally or when you suspect an issue. My recommendation is weekly for such. However, you do not want multiple "real time" scanning of files as you access them. You will get false positives and missed positives. The Win 10 built-in defender (not sure if released yet) has a feature to attempt to better co-exist with third party anti-virus.
    My opinion as a network administrator and software developer is that for "anti-virus" the Win 10 Windows Defender is probably the best available. Two reasons, one is that the definition file is updated much faster than with third party programs so new virus threats are caught and it has the least impact on PC performance. Firewalls and running current Windows 10 is also a requirement if you want a safe PC today.
    Note that Windows Defender does not attempt to stop "tracking cookies" or "ad ware", hence my recommendation for occasional running of SuperAntiSpyware or equivalent.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    My opinion as a network administrator and software developer is that for "anti-virus" the Win 10 Windows Defender is probably the best available.
    Does it work with Win 7? Answered my onw question, no, it does not as it is built into Win 10.

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Malwarebytes is a antivirus as of recently with 3.0. They expanded into that arena. No, you do not need two of them running as it can cause issues. I know some folks do, but something like BitDefender or Webroot is all you need.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've gotten two calls this week from Windows techs informing me that I had a virus, one just an hour ago.
    I was having fun with him, then I guess he got frustrated, because he hung up on me, lol.

Was that from the Windows Security Dept.? Love those calls. I keep them on the call as long as I can make it. Most hang up in frustration after I explain to them I have a Mac and don't use Windows.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Multiple AV programs will usually conflict with each other and sometimes you'll end up with false positives... of all the programs available I only ever recommend malware bytes. Norton and Mcaffee have burned me (or rather other people) too many times.. Once back in 2007 I had to go through several business and rewrite their startup process from a DOS prompt because Mcaffee deleted the system32 file on every computer it updated on overnight recognizing it as a virus.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Multiple AV programs will usually conflict with each other and sometimes you'll end up with false positives... of all the programs available I only ever recommend malware bytes. Norton and Mcaffee have burned me (or rather other people) too many times.. Once back in 2007 I had to go through several business and rewrite their startup process from a DOS prompt because Mcaffee deleted the system32 file on every computer it updated on overnight recognizing it as a virus.
    OK, how about this: McAfee has a couple of features I like that Malwarebytes doesn't such as file encription and a file shredder. How about if I keep the McAfee SW on my computer but turn off the real time scanning, and turn on the real time scanning of Malwarebytes Premium??

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Windows 10 comes with file encryption. no one is breaking 264 bitlocker anytime soon. I don't trust McAfee.. like I said.. one of their updates caused me a real headache. You do you though.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Bitlocker is only available on Windows 10 Pro. You can decrypt and use storage devices on Home Edition but it wont let you encrypt via BitLocker with Home Edition on Win10.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Bitlocker is only available on Windows 10 Pro. You can decrypt and use storage devices on Home Edition but it wont let you encrypt via BitLocker with Home Edition on Win10.

My mistake I thought that Windows 10 all editions came with encryption... I only ever run the pro versions, but I had been lead to believe that since Windows 8 that even the basic home users were getting drive encryption now.

Top Bottom