• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    I have never purchased more than one firearm at one time

Is there a fed limit or a certain number that who ever is checking the background will freak out over the multi-purchase

Ex: purchasing 2 or 3 firearms at the same time
    Target Sports

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Texas does not limit the number of firearms you may purchase at one time.

However, I thought there were a few states which did and found the following on Wikipedia:

As of 2012, the District of Columbia, along with three states have one-handgun a month laws; these states are California, Maryland, and New Jersey.[3] New York City also has this law. The District of Columbia's law was struck down by a federal appeals court in 2015.[5]

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    I'm looking at getting the two handguns, 45 & 9mm and maybe, if I can find one, a PSA AKV 9mm pistol, which is 3 at one time

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    According to my local FFL, if you buy more than 1 gun per week, he has to report it to the ATF.

"Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, or ATF Form 3310.4, is a form prescribed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) for use by firearm dealers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) to report when an unlicensed person purchases or acquires two or more handguns at one time or during five consecutive business days.

After a rule promulgated under the Obama administration in the wake of the ATF gunwalking scandal in 2011, FFL holders in states bordering MexicoArizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas — have also been required to report multiple sales of semi-automatic rifles with a caliber greater than .22 that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine on a Form 3310.12."

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    According to my local FFL, if you buy more than 1 gun per week, he has to report it to the ATF.

"Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, or ATF Form 3310.4, is a form prescribed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) for use by firearm dealers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) to report when an unlicensed person purchases or acquires two or more handguns at one time or during five consecutive business days.

After a rule promulgated under the Obama administration in the wake of the ATF gunwalking scandal in 2011, FFL holders in states bordering MexicoArizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas — have also been required to report multiple sales of semi-automatic rifles with a caliber greater than .22 that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine on a Form 3310.12."

This is what I was worried about

• Sad
    Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I was thinking there was an additional form that was filled out if a person bought multiple guns. I have bought up to four guns at one time in the past, but I never saw that Form 3310.

Pulling up the information from the ATF and the internet, it looks like it's a form the FFL dealer fills out, not the customer.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Yep...it's only for handguns, and I've had FFL dealers suggest to me to buy one next week so that they don't have to do that paperwork...pure laziness. It's nothing to fear or worry about. Had one filled out on my purchase several times...never heard a word from any of the parties copied, feds or local.

Lest it be all good news, there IS another form 3310.12, that covers multiple sales of certain RIFLES...you can read all about that one by googling ATF 3310.12.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yep...it's only for handguns, and I've had FFL dealers suggest to me to buy one next week so that they don't have to do that paperwork...pure laziness. It's nothing to fear or worry about. Had one filled out on my purchase several times...never heard a word from any of the parties copied, feds or local.

Lest it be all good news, there IS another form 3310.12, that covers multiple sales of certain RIFLES...you can read all about that one by googling ATF 3310.12.

Form 3310-12 applies to rifles with a removable magazine 22 caliber or larger. If that is correct, and you bought several bolt action rifles, that form wouldn't be filled out? Or that is what I understand it to mean.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    That's what I read, too. There is a copy of the form dated 2021, but it's a revision...the original form came out here and my history's not too good but wasn't that when the gangs were buying up a lot of rifles and taking them to Mexico, and "some folks" running guns, too? It was all the push back then.

"Sales of Rifles

In 2011, ATF was authorized to enforce multiple firearms sales for certain types of rifles from FFLs in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

FFLs in these states must report the following types of rifles:

• Semiautomatic rifles
    • Rifles with a caliber greater than .22 (including .223 or 5.56 mm)
    • Rifles with the ability to accept detachable magazines".
    I didn't compare to see what changes were there in the newer one.

Betcha next it's "...any shotgun not in two shot configuration..." give 'em time!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That's what I read, too. There is a copy of the form dated 2021, but it's a revision...the original form came out here and my history's not too good but wasn't that when the gangs were buying up a lot of rifles and taking them to Mexico, and "some folks" running guns, too? It was all the push back then.

"Sales of Rifles

In 2011, ATF was authorized to enforce multiple firearms sales for certain types of rifles from FFLs in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

• Semiautomatic rifles

Betcha next it's "...any shotgun not in two shot configuration..." give 'em time!

That was what I read. Now where I get lost is, does the sale of multiple rifles have to include all three criteria, or just a combination or one of them?

Many bolt action rifles are now available with detachable magazines, and if you bought them in calibers larger than a 22, you just checked off two of those criteria.

ETA: spelling!

Last edited:

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Just found this info source which has more details...it's ofishal...let's see...\

OK it says

"FFLs in these states must report the following types of rifles:

• Semiautomatic rifles
    • Rifles with the ability to accept detachable magazines"
    That means if it's one of the listed types, report it...I'd fill out on 10/22s, Model 60s, any multiple sale that was one of those types...but is that what they MEANT to say? I'm looking for more FAQ...on that. I remember it sure riled up some folks ESPECIALLY that they picked on a few states.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    To avoid a single FLL having to notify the ATF about a multiple firearm sale just have a different FFL handle each firearm transaction. If you have several in your area this is not a problem. From what I understand a lot of people do this to avoid any "extra attention" on the sale.

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx

"Sales of Rifles

• Semiautomatic rifles

How about the "Sales of Pistols"

That's what I'm looking at getting

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    To avoid a single FLL having to notify the ATF about a multiple firearm sale just have a different FFL handle each firearm transaction. If you have several in your area this is not a problem. From what I understand a lot of people do this to avoid any "extra attention" on the sale.

Honestly, not something I have ever concerned myself with. I don't buy guns to resell them or to traffic them, or use them in criminal acts. So not going to worry about a Form 3310-04, or a 3310-12 being filled out.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Here's more detail on the types of rifles...now I remember the "bullet button" being discussed...

Q2/A2 seem to say they need ALL those features to need reporting. I never saw this before because I was out of the pawn/FFL stuff the year before they started doing rifles.
    Pretty much boils down to the answer-of-the-day and "because we SAY so"...most FFLS I know are scared to argue...don't want to be in the crosshairs...so they make us jump through hoops to pacify them (they hope).

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    gil nailed that in post #6 before we went wanderin' into rifles...a coupla quoted sources also covered handguns and rifles.

Top Bottom