• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I have an old crappy multitool and I am thinking about picking up something else. I usually carry it in my fanny pack any suggestions? I was leaning towards the gerber diesel or MP600 is there any reason I should stay away from those?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    No with those, but I can attest to Leatherman quality and customer service (lifetime warranty). I have... Oh gosh had it so long I can't remember... Charge Ti Cabela's edition I believe.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have a few pairs of the M600. With Fort Hood being so close. They're all over the place. One pair is the living room go to pliers. Tough tool. The carbide triangles on the throat of the pliers are nice. It's nothing to cut thick barbwire.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Leatherman, although their lifetime warranty is now a mere 25 year warranty. Pick the one or two with the features you need, and you're good.

I have a SuperTool 300 for rough stuff...

HHEThFl.jpg

a Blast that has the scissors and tiny screw driver I need at work often enough, and I should get another one because it's been discontinued and I do wear it out:

fGpsyI5.jpg

And for shits and giggles, I got a Walther branded multi tool off eBay Germany, although it's made in Taiwan:

12n1tpC.jpg

I like the magnetic bit holder and the spring-loaded pliers, but it's too bulky to have on one's belt always, especially when you're already carrying a pistol IWB on the other side. I mostly got it for the novelty value although the bit holder did come in handy already. If you want just one, like I said, find the Leatherman that has all the features you need. Made in the U.S.A.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Leatherman and Gerber make good multi-tools.

The more features, the higher the price.

I still have the original Leatherman PST(Pocket Survival Tool) issued to me by Uncle Sam in 1985. It is none worse for the wear. I was so impressed with it that I bought one for my father at the astronomical price of $39.95.

I don't think any are made in the USA anymore.

Be well.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've owned probably 15 different multi-tools.
    Somehow I always wind up back using the original Leatherman PST. It's everything you need.
    Theyre not made any longer so you have to buy on the secondary market. Bazillions were made so they're not hard to find or expensive. I've found several in pawn shops for around $20.00.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Also, to double down on my previous post and to agree with the previous two or three posters, yes, a regular ole PST, PST II, PST300 will do great!

(And if you want more flash, buy a cheap ole worn out PST, send it in to Leatherman for repair and they'll send you the newest one in exchange... I have heard ;)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Leatherman Rev.
    I've had some of each.
    The Rev goes everywhere I go now.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My standard Leatherman is the "Surge", but I wanted something different so I went and got the Leatherman M.U.T. (Military Utility Tool). I liked it so much, I picked up a second one for the shop. I can only find the M.U.T. online though - generally Amazon or EBay.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    i like my Leatherman Charge TTi. had it for years now and haven't found a reason to switch. i love that the blades open from the "outside" without having to open the pliers.

tC_Matt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    I have the leatherman s2 juice and I love it. Small, not too heavy and has everything that I could need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    i like my Leatherman Charge TTi. had it for years now and haven't found a reason to switch. i love that the blades open from the "outside" without having to open the pliers.

I too carry this

a98da29250bac186e1121c8283c8c424.jpg

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It's good to see a lot of pro leatherman posts. They are a great tool.

I have had problems with Gerbers in the past. They just don't hold up. Sure they are a step above a no name Walmart tool but a step below Leatherman.

Take a look at the Victorinox Swiss army tools. I think they are better designed than leatherman and better steel also. But they are expensive. Still you get what you pay for.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/c/SAK_SwissTool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've used a couple different Gerbers, never had any issues. Eventually lost them.

Had a basic leatherman, saw no real differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    The difference is in the lock ability of the tools, and the precision

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I carried the Leatherman Super Tool or the original tool the most. Many years worth. My favorite is the MUT and the OHT tool. The MUT has everything that an AR-15 shooter needs.

I wrote to Leatherman before my first epic motorcycle trip in 1995 or 96. They granted me a tour so when I got to Portland, that's what we did. They don't usually give tours. It was great fun and I got to see the development stages of the Super Tool on CAD and the first prototypes of the "Crunch" tool. Tim Leatherman was out of town, so I missed the chance to meet him.

Tim has an official office all trimmed in fancy wood. He spends most of his time, however, in a small workshop that has big windows overlooking the factory floor.

Flash

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Leatherman
    I don't think any are made in the USA anymore.

They're still made in the US, they're just not stamping it on the things anymore because California requires that for this stamp, every single material and production step has to be made in the US.

For instance, Leatherman buys European-made files, corkscrews and other components.

The jaws for its pliers come from a U.S. company that moved manufacturing to Mexico.

The plier jaws, and some other imported products, arrive at Leatherman's 120,000-square-foot manufacturing facility to be finished –– ground, hardened and polished –– by its manufacturing work force of more than 300.

"Anybody who came into our factory and saw all the parts and work that goes into the tools would conclude that we actually do produce it here," said Roger Bjorklund, Leatherman vice president of marketing.

Other portions of the tools are fabricated on-site before all the pieces are fashioned into finished devices.

Federal courts have determined that the tools qualify as "Made in U.S.A.," Bjorklund said.

To appease critics, though, the company stopped imprinting its tools with "Made in U.S.A."

There are some early PST's that were made in Japan when the little 11 employees workshop couldn't keep up with the demand.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've used Gerbers in the past, but after I had a jaw snap in half on me when I went to grab a hot sheet of metal that I needed to put under cold water, that was it for me. I still like Gerber, but I need something that will hold up to the shop and range.

Top Bottom