• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

A bit of Texas Swing history:

And the below was written by Herb Remington, at the request of Bob Wills who wanted to record a response to Leon McAuliffe's "Steel Guitar Rag". Herb played steel guitar with Bob from 1945 to 1951 and Bob wanted something original on the steel guitar, and this is what Herb wrote.

We (Wild River Band) recorded this version at the West Texas Western Swing Festival in June 2009, and yep, that is Herb playing his "Boot Heel Drag" on one of his famous Remington Steel Guitars:

ETA: WRB YouTube link.

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

And the below was written by Herb Remington, at the request of Bob Wills who wanted to record a response to Leon McAuliffe's "Steel Guitar Rag". Herb played steel guitar with Bob from 1945 to 1951 and Bob wanted something original on the steel guitar, and this is what Herb wrote.

We (Wild River Band) recorded this version at the West Texas Western Swing Festival in June 2009, and yep, that is Herb playing his "Boot Heel Drag" on one of his famous Remington Steel Guitars:

That's fricking cool as hell.
    We will be playing it this weekend at a gig...we have a steel palyer

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

ETA: WRB YouTube link.

I have two versions of Steel Guitar Rag. Titles differ in that one is labeled "original" & the other "later version". From EZ-E's post, I'm now assuming the 1st is from 1936???

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have two versions of Steel Guitar Rag. Titles differ in that one is labeled "original" & the other "later version". From EZ-E's post, I'm now assuming the 1st is from 1936???

Yep, Bob Wills first recorded Steel Guitar Rag in 1936.

Below is at least one story about the genesis of the tune.

I've got a large collection of Western/Texas Swing music and at least four different recordings of SGR by the Texas Playboys at one time of the other, as wells as done by folks like Tex Williams, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and others.

As you can see there is some controversy as to who actually wrote it, and that might be the reason why, as Herb told me, that Bob wanted to record something "original" for the steel guitar a few years later and asked him to come up with something.

I

Last edited:
    Top Bottom