• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I have absolutely no clue. Any suggestions?

Flash
    Go with whatever is comfortable to begin with. Get that running smoothly first, and try the other methods if you like. They'll have different tones, and I always liked the plucking tone best. It was the most comfortable for me, too...Never could get into the pick, but I do appreciate when that sound is used and needed. And they do have softer picks to try and lessen the percussive sound. The guy from Grand Funk Railroad used a felt pick I think. I always love his sound.

If you do go with plucking, make sure to alternate fingers right from the beginning. Index middle index middle etc etc. Making a habit of doing that early and you'll have an easier time later! Lots of YouTube stuff on techniques for left and right hands.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have absolutely no clue. Any suggestions?

A bit of back story to add to peeps' good info...

Get comfortable with both pick and fingers, that way you won't be limiting yourself to one particular sound, and sound, or "tone", which is the holy grail you're looking for.

What you do, and when, depends upon what you've become most comfortable with, and, very importantly the longer you play and more proficient you become, the tone that will fit the music you're playing.

The double (AKA upright) bass, or earlier versions of it, has traditionally played the lower octaves/tones in Western music between roughly the 1500's to the mid 1900's, and is still preferred in certain types of music, like classical and most jazz ... and it's goal is to support the music's lower octaves, and generally at the same time, follow the chord structure of the song/tune.

The bass guitar started taking the place of the upright bass roughly mid 20th century, mainly due to convenience and portability.

Much of the music of the first half of the 20th century ... swing, jazz, show tunes, big band, classical, folk, etc., used upright bass, which has a deep, full, woody tone that is still considered desirable for that type of music.

That classic, upright, "woody" tone, is acoustically created by the vibrations of both a hollow wooden body, excited by plucking nylon, gut, or metal strings.

With an electrically amplified, solid body instrument like most electric basses, a larger part of the sound/tone come from the string vibration, electronics (both on board and in the amplifier) and ... and believe it or not, from the players hands.

Short version, getting a classic bass tone, who's purpose is mostly to support the lower octaves and provide chordal support to the music (bassist in country music call that playing "eat shit bass", almost always starts with playing the electric bass with the fingers.

As peeps indicated, the pick on an electric bass will generally give you a more percussive sound, which is desirable when you want the bass line to be something more than just providing lower octave and chordal support, ... IOW, you want it to cut through the other instrumentation and be heard more melodically than chord support.

Whatever it takes to do either, is the path you want to take on deciding which to use.

After all, if your job as a bassist to tickle the lady's bottoms on the dance floor, using your fingers on both endeavors will usually get the job done ...

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great information! Thanks! I'm miles away from making music but I learned to tune the Bass, repair the amplifier.....snicker. Learning the FACE and EGBDF of sheet music. I learned about tabs and I'm beginning to grasp the need for muting the non playing strings.

I'm regretting the attempt to play the violin and the two acoustic Fenders. There is no chance that will work. Had success with harmonicas, the keyboard and now, maybe the bass. I'm learning.

There was a chance to take guitar lessons at a store near home, but it closed up.

Flash

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Well, I've heard a few of your songs and I can say your music is right up my alley. I enjoy it.

On myself, I was in choir as a soprano since I was 12. Later became a soprano level 2. I topped my class in high school and was awarded the highest of honors. I sang as a soloist in church for about 7 years. In 5th grade, I started playing the flute. While I loved choir, I wanted to learn the guitar. I was a bass player in a small high school band. We mostly played metallica and iron maiden. We had 2 violins as well, which made us stick out as pretty unique.
    Once I was out on my own, I developed an interest in learning the keyboard, but never learned. I still, after all these years, really want to learn to play the keyboard.
    Up until I moved here to Texas I would strum on my guitar. But the move busted my amp. I have a 5 string electric and a 4 string bass guitar and recently replaced my amp. However, I've been more motivated in becoming a professional tribal fusion belly dancer, that I haven't even tried to pick up one of my guitars but twice.
    I did notice that after almost 4 years, I'm having a bit of difficulty getting my fingers back into playing. Probably need to just get back into practice.
    Yet, at the same time, I notice my lack of desire and motivation to play. I've got the time, but I mostly choose to dance.
    I will say I admire you TDH. Keep on playing. I look forward to what else you come up with. So far, your work is awesome.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Thanks dArmi I appreciate the support, you and Jeremy have a few stickers heading your way soon. I've always loved bass and when I tried out for my current band I actually brought my guitar and bass since they were looking for both and I just wanted to jam, obviously they liked my guitar playing better. Been playing a lot more bass lately though, my buddy let me borrow his 6 string to mess around with and while it was intimidating at first it's actually not that bad, I'm thoroughly enjoying the extra high string especially on slap and pop runs. Those Ibanez Sound Gear basses sound great for the price range, pic of the bass I'm borrowing with its owner (who is a beast player and our new possible member).

163c0251c55e97ffa3e779923bcf6ad5.jpg

Bad quality pic of me jamming on it

2d64be926ffd05efa40e2bf05bc3a55f.jpg

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    That thing is awesome! Can you post a recording of the extra string? I totally want to hear it!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    One of the guys at the local gun shop expressed a desire to play the guitar, again. On Tuesday, I packed one of my Fender acoustic guitars, a stand, strap, picks and a case over to the gun store and gave it to him. I couldn't play that guitar with my giant fingers so it had zero miles on it.

Matt picked up that Fender and immediately started playing! I felt pretty good about making the decision to give it to him!

Sometimes we get it right!

Flash

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    One of the guys at the local gun shop expressed a desire to play the guitar, again. On Tuesday, I packed one of my Fender acoustic guitars, a stand, strap, picks and a case over to the gun store and gave it to him. I couldn't play that guitar with my giant fingers so it had zero miles on it.

Matt picked up that Fender and immediately started playing! I felt pretty good about making the decision to give it to him!

Flash
    Makes my mom happy when I come over and play my stepdads guitar while she plays the piano — I've logged more hours on his guitar than he has.
    It's a beautiful thing to witness that passion for music to be passed on and encouraged from generation to generation. My grandfather played alongside my mom, who now plays with me and is teaching my daughters piano. And one day they'll play along with me.

It warms my heart to know my grandfather's '48 Gibson F-body Archtop will still be in use in thirty years. That's a century! Most houses aren't built that well.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

You did good!
    Musical instruments need to be in the hands of musicians who will appreciate and play them.
    Linda, a musician, teacher and singer/songwriter herself, has standing orders to keep my '61 Fender Jazz Bass out of the hands of a collector no matter what.

Instead, give it to a deserving, young professional musician who will play it.

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012

Flash

Right on, as someone who has received the gift of a guitar at a gun shop as well it's definitely a cool feeling especially when you break it out in the store and have a little jam session.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Right on, as someone who has received the gift of a guitar at a gun shop as well it's definitely a cool feeling especially when you break it out in the store and have a little jam session.

Great idea! If nothing else, someone could play a pair of spoons, a washboard or other improvised instruments. Our gunshop has a place to sit, shoot the crap, eat popcorn and hang out. We cook meals together (lots of pork dishes...snicker) and eat together just sitting around and enjoying the good company. It's a fun place to be!

Flash

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Got my new (to me) pedal board setup in its temporary state gonna swap the Boss tuner for a TC Electronics mini tuner and might try and get the amp foot switch to fit into the mix. Also ordered an MXR ISO Brick so I can nix the daisy chain power supply, and now that I have the Line 6 G50 wireless my older audio technica came out of the rack, thinking about filling the empty space with a drawer for cables and whatnot.

c402b6b7c095c170b66f40aa7458e58e.jpg

285ea3c699c05fa1b142ef4eaf575936.jpg

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Got my new (to me) pedal board setup in its temporary state gonna swap the Boss tuner for a TC Electronics mini tuner and might try and get the amp foot switch to fit into the mix. Also ordered an MXR ISO Brick so I can nix the daisy chain power supply, and now that I have the Line 6 G50 wireless my older audio technica came out of the rack, thinking about filling the empty space with a drawer for cables and whatnot.

c402b6b7c095c170b66f40aa7458e58e.jpg

285ea3c699c05fa1b142ef4eaf575936.jpg

I have been using the TC electonics poly tune for several years and love it. Best tuner I have ever used. I have the newest version now.

Top Bottom