• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Alamo and river walk are definitely on the agenda. I've been but my wife has not. Just booked the hotel room, it wasn't too bad. $175 for the weekend.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I spent a week there recently and enjoyed the following:

The Alamo, great history stuff that every Texan needs to see. Be sure to watch the video there too.

Rosario's Mexican [on Alamo St] - very good, different, Mexican food. Take the trolley, as its too far to walk. Good margaritas if you like those.

Taco Taco - voted best tacos in America by Bon Apetite Magazine. Do. Not. Miss. This. One. They are only open from 7am to 2pm, so plan around it. We ordered one of each taco, and shared them all to see which ones we liked. Very tasty grub there. The lengua, the carnitas, and the El Norte were my personal favorites.

River Walk is nice, but due to the heat, I say go early or late. Its all open late. Do the boat tour, its pretty cool and is nice after walking around a bunch.

We drove around and looked at the colleges there: UTSA (my son starts this fall); Incarnate Word; St Mary's. All are interesting to drive through to see the architecture.

Not sure where they would be, but find the food trucks. I am talking gourmet stuff here. The Rolling Pig was great, the Cajun food truck was good, and Crepe Nation Trailer is very tasty. You might be able to figure out where they are online somehow. I know Rolling Pig has a website.

About Us | Rolling Pig

Best Mexican Restaurant | The Best Tacos in America | Taco Taco Cafe San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio Mexican Restaurant : Rosario's Restaurant y Cantina

Here is an article on the local mobile food vendors:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/food/article/Mobile-food-vendors-thriving-2228879.php

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Lulu's Bakery and Cafe

LuLu's downtown is a pretty cool place to go for really good Chicken Fried Steak and delicious 3lb cinnamon Rolls.

Yeah, Lulu's. The cinnamon rolls are awesome.

I spent a week there recently and enjoyed the following:

The Alamo, great history stuff that every Texan needs to see. Be sure to watch the video there too.

Rosario's Mexican [on Alamo St] - very good, different, Mexican food. Take the trolley, as its too far to walk. Good margaritas if you like those.

Taco Taco - voted best tacos in America by Bon Apetite Magazine. Do. Not. Miss. This. One. They are only open from 7am to 2pm, so plan around it. We ordered one of each taco, and shared them all to see which ones we liked. Very tasty grub there. The lengua, the carnitas, and the El Norte were my personal favorites.

River Walk is nice, but due to the heat, I say go early or late. Its all open late. Do the boat tour, its pretty cool and is nice after walking around a bunch.

We drove around and looked at the colleges there: UTSA (my son starts this fall); Incarnate Word; St Mary's. All are interesting to drive through to see the architecture.

Not sure where they would be, but find the food trucks. I am talking gourmet stuff here. The Rolling Pig was great, the Cajun food truck was good, and Crepe Nation Trailer is very tasty. You might be able to figure out where they are online somehow. I know Rolling Pig has a website.

About Us | Rolling Pig

Best Mexican Restaurant | The Best Tacos in America | Taco Taco Cafe San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio Mexican Restaurant : Rosario's Restaurant y Cantina

Here is an article on the local mobile food vendors:

Mobile food vendors thriving - San Antonio Express-News

If you get a chance, check out Incarnate Word when they're decorated for Christmas. They do a good job.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I am literally down on at the riverwalk as we speak enjoying an ice cold Shiner at Durty Nelly's Irish Pub. Perfect night for some drinks downtown.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    San Antonio is not the town it used to be.

The best local restaurants have gone out of business, the Alamo is nothing more than a tourist trap, and the river walk at night is an abomination with the overpriced LED lights wrapped around tree trunks and limbs as if it were Christmas year-round.

If you are in SA for a "graduation," just do that and go home.

SA lost it's local flavor years ago when the Progressives tried to make SA a "World-Class City."

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've visited all of the missions and loved them!

Hey, do you guys remember when a tour bus on a bridge over the River Walk dumped its holding tank on a boatload of people under the bridge? That HAD to be an experience to remember!

Flash

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I've visited all of the missions and loved them!

Hey, do you guys remember when a tour bus on a bridge over the River Walk dumped its holding tank on a boatload of people under the bridge? That HAD to be an experience to remember!

Flash

lol, yes. I saw it happen. Took awhile to figure out what was going on

If you're looking for local brew, try Freetail or take a tour at Ranger Creek and get brew and whiskey all in one

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I think the Missions are a must. Built in the 1700s and now a National Park site. Pretty cool stuff. The river walk is WAY WAY WAY overrated, overpriced, and overrated. Did I mention overrated?

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park - San Antonio Missions National Historical Park

Been here for 5 years, still haven't seen the Missions. Probably because I'm a filthy heathen atheist. For me, the Alamo is a must but as I understand it most Texans go to the Alamo for a fieldtrip during school at some point. I totally agree with zembonez about the Riverwalk BUT it IS scenic. It's a major tourist trap and most locals don't like to go down there often but there are some nice, classy establishments down there. For me, I like the martini bar called 'Swig'. They have a cigar menu and live music, it's just a nice relaxing place to hang out with some friends, have some drinks, and smoke some cigars.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    The other fellas have already given some great suggestions. If you want take your son somewhere fun, go shoot skeet/trap at the San Antonio Gun Club. It's located smack in the middle of town; 5 mins south of the airport and 5 mins north of downtown. For a nice graduation dinner, I would go to Boudro's on the riverwalk, or Tre Trattoria on Broadway.

Top Bottom